do pitbulls do this? More pics

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rockermom » March 11th, 2006, 10:57 am

Rocky is from a shelter. He was listed as a pitbull/ Amstaff. We quickly came to conclusion He is mixed. BUt since going to a training class trainer was quite intrigued with trying to figure his mix. Because of his working abilities she was thinking he could have some border Collie. I was thinking Catahoula cause of his webbed feet and eyes. But since it has been warm I see him doing this thing when he sees a squirl. He kind of stiffens up bends his paw up. Then he crouches down shakes his but like a cat would do before they pounce. Then he takes off. What made me ask was I just saw a clip of a pointer on tv doing this sort of thing. So I was wondering do pitbulls do this? Does anyone know if catahoulas do? Maybe Rocky has pointer. He could I see the English pointer look in him.
Last edited by rockermom on March 12th, 2006, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Jaime » March 11th, 2006, 12:56 pm

capone does that- it's hillarious! he stalks things (like sasha) lol
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rockermom » March 11th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Is sasha a cat or a dog?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 11th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Mine just take off after whatever it is that has caught there eye. No stalking, they jsust launch themselves. I have heard of some pit bulls that "point" but mine have never done it.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » March 11th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Oscar stalks other dogs :o Well, really, its playing, but it doesn't look great...
If a new or unknown dog approaches us, he moves towards them, flattens his back, and then drops to the ground. He'll also wiggle around or re-adjust like a cat once he's down there, he waits until the other dog is right up next to him, cautious and trying to figure out what the heck is going on, and then leaps up and pounces on them.

I believe there are somw theories that Pit Bulls were used for large game herding originally? Maybe it comes from that? Or just being a dog lol...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » March 11th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Maddie points, and the goof ball will stand there with her leg up for what seems like forever then she'll just take off! lol
Jenn
undecided

Postby Pitcrew » March 12th, 2006, 11:01 am

The pictures I have seen, if the dog you are refering to is in your avitar, all look like pit and/or amstaf to me.
Many characteristics that are refered to specific breeds are quite common with most breeds. All of my dogs stalk and freeze, usually a hunting dog or border collie thing. Most of my pits/amstafs, 5 out of 6, have feet that are very well webbed, a retriever thing.
I have seen many dogs, especially pit types miss identified, both because of their characteristics just being uncommon for the breed and because people discriminate.
Luke, the dog in my avitar is a registered amstaf, his parents are champions, but when people see him compete in agility they ask if he is a border collie cross because he is so fast and because of his color. I have also had people think he was a Swiss Mountain Dog or even a Boxer. He is a little taller than standard.

Show more pics!
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby krcouch » March 12th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Lucy definitely points. She also does the stalk & pounce. My other bullies don't do this but we always new Lucy was unique.
krcouch
Just Whelped

Postby odnarb » March 12th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Grant points and stalks.

Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby rockermom » March 12th, 2006, 4:04 pm

wow thats a great pic of your dog pointing and stalking. and I will try to get some new pictures of Rocky to post.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 12th, 2006, 4:25 pm

I have been told by Maryellenpictures dont do any justice He is better looking in person.

Its hard to see here but he has tons of little black dots like a dalmation would have.

This would be the only time he has panted heavy play date
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » March 13th, 2006, 12:14 am

Rocky and Maddie could almost be related! ;) She has tick marks too...
I'll have to try and get some pictures of her doing her pointing. I swore I had some, but not sure where they went. She doesn't do it near as well as Grant does though, wow!
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » March 13th, 2006, 7:55 am

Wow yeah Rocky and Maddie do look similar. How old is maddie? Rocky is about 8 mos. similar build too. Rocky looks more like pictures I have seen of Catahoula BUlldogs. Since we got him at a shelter from a 4 month old puppy I am curious of his breed mix.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 13th, 2006, 8:35 am

odnarb wrote:Grant points and stalks.

LOL It must be in the genes because so does Samurai LOL
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Purple » March 13th, 2006, 8:45 am

Hopscotch and Dexter will stalk each other in a face off in the yard.....then they go all out and get goofy, running and jumping like puppies....wierdos!
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 13th, 2006, 9:04 am

yep, rocky is sooo much handsomer then his photos.. you have to see his eyes... omg they are the most gorgeous golden color.. his fur is sooo soft, and he has all those cute black spots on him..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Miakoda » March 13th, 2006, 11:53 am

LOL. Sukari does the "point & stalk" thing. I only have a front on picture (I was on the floor taking it), but she was performing the death stalk on her kong. It doesn't quite look like it, but that foot just seem to hover for a while why she cotemplated her next move.

Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jaime » March 13th, 2006, 12:54 pm

houlabulla? wrote:Is sasha a cat or a dog?

sasha is a dog- before he enguages in play he stalks her then pounces... it does not amuse her lol
Jaime
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pitcrew » March 13th, 2006, 7:22 pm

My Alex, passed away last year. She was a blue and white patch with very similar markings, and even the freckles. She also has so similar a head and body type, if someone told me they were related... I would believe it!
She is a registered american stafforshire terrier.
Actually I dont see anything about him that suggests any other breed. All of the things about him that make people THINK other breeds are characteristics commonly seen in pits and amstafs.
I will try to post a pic later from my other computer.
Dont forget, some people see mixes or other breeds because they dont want to say this loving pet "might be a pit bull".
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rockermom » March 14th, 2006, 10:20 am

Sorry about the loss of your dog. I would love to see photos. I have been trying to see what makes an AMstaff different looking. Well the reason it all came up was since he looked similar to someone on a different forum who had a catahoula/amstaff. one parent was catahoula other was amstaff. Others said their dogs did not have such webbed feet. I have been calling Rocky an amstaff mix. Only because his body in person is very thin and legs are much longer than what I have typically seen. You cant see it in pictures. It does not really matter I guess. It was some of his puppy behaviors that made me wonder. But since I have been on these forums most people have same things with pups of all kinds.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk