another questions....about scooting..

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 11:17 am

Sorry guys! I have another questions...hopefully some of you can help.

Pipi have relatively fresh blood in her stool on and off for the past 6 months, and she scoots often. She has been checked up, full blood work, and tried different medications.....basically, the vet want to try different medications b4 doing more intrusive examination...her anal has been examined and there's nothing wrong with it.
Well..my dad don't want Pipi sedated at all for the intrusive examination, I think they stick something up her anal and try to get some cells or something outta her intestines.....any idea what could it be? The vet say it could be a tumor inside the intestines? I dunno....any ideas?

She have no worms of any type and her anal sac is clean....
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » March 10th, 2006, 11:56 am

can dogs get hemmorids? Maybe that's what it is?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » March 10th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Lambie scoots too. She's been wormed for tapes and regular worms.
I think they scoot because they can't wipe LOL
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Miakoda » March 10th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Most dogs scoot when their anal glands are full. Dogs have glands on each side of the rectum that contain a really stanky material similar to a skunk. Most dogs will empty their anal glands on their own whenever they have a bowel movement. However, for some reaons (i.e. soft stools, etc.) some dogs are just unable to do so. When these glands are full, not only are they very uncomfotable for the dog, but they are painful as well. In addition to that, if they are unable to empty on their own, then they can abcess which is obviously very nasty & VERY painful to the dog. Plus, if left untreated, they can cause serious infections.

Has the vet checked the anal glands at all? (& I don't mean just a "squeeze" test, but a "finger probe" test) Once the material is old & left in the glands, it can become very hard & crumbly (vs. the liquid it normally is), & can be very hard to get out....usually the dog must be sedated in order to flush the glands free of the debris.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Malli » March 10th, 2006, 3:52 pm

If the procedure is painful in any way, I'd convince your dad otherwise, its a lot less stress, anxiety, and pain for the dog.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Miakoda » March 10th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Never mind.....I just saw the line about her anal glands being checked. MY BAD! :D

However, allowing the vet to sedate her to check for polyps or tumors might not be a bad idea.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health