FLEAS!!! Lover Dogs...Help?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby JCleve86 » March 10th, 2006, 2:54 am

I found a flea on Molly today. Just one single flea, but needless to say I'm freaking out as I have a very strong hatrid for fleas. I bought them some flea shampoo (fleas, ticks, eggs) and just finished with baths. I also bought them some topical drops (Sentry Pro-Seargent), but I'm concerned about them. It says NOT to get them in the dogs mouth, and to apply down the back from the neck to the tail. I'm hoping they aren't flexible enough to reach that, but they could certainly reach each other's backs!!! I guess I'll just have to keep them seperated if I'm not here to watch and make sure they aren't have love fests, but does anyone know how long I should keep that up? They are seriously co-dependant, and I don't want my poor kids to freak out because of the goddamned fleas.

Suggestions? Do the collars work? Maybe I should just get those instead...
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby msvette2u » March 10th, 2006, 2:57 am

You ought to order (or get from the vet) some Advantage or Frontline. I use Biospot on our dogs. It seems to work well. You can buy it online fairly cheap or at a feed store or even PetsMart.
I'd not use the shampoo or the Seargents stuff or anything else.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » March 10th, 2006, 3:08 am

I think I'm going to return the drops tomorrow (already used the shampoo) and either get Advantage or I'm thinking about just getting flea collars for them, especially since I didn't find any other fleas, even when bathing them. That way I can avoid them trying to "clean" the gunk off the other one. Dunno...

I've never dealt with fleas with any of my animals before, so I'm pretty new to all of this crap. Man I hate fleas.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby pocketpit » March 10th, 2006, 3:23 am

I would not use the Seargent's stuff or Bio-Spot! Both of those products contain different ingredients than Advantage, Frontline, or Sentinel do and they don't work the same. Not only are they less effective (not saying they don't work but they don't work as well) but they are very toxic to cats and I've even seen a small dog or two react to them.
I understand your cat is no longer with you but the warning is more of an FYI for future dealings with the stuff. I wouldn't even begin to try to count the number of cats we see in our clinic with reactions to Bio-Spot, Hartz and Seargents topical medications. Even cats that don't have it applied directly to them but come into contact with dogs in the household can be affected. It causes horrible tremmors and seizures that can lead to death in cats.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » March 10th, 2006, 4:01 am

I agree, Zodiac products also cause issues. I've seen at least 4 cats treated in my 4 months at the Hospital for reactions to Hartz (I think it is?) and Zodiac that were very serious.

JC, Advantage is what I use on Oscar and it works great. You could also try Program, its the flea pill, as you were saying you weren't seeing a lot. Program prevents the eggs the adults that bite the dogs then lay from hatching, lol, if that makes sense. Advantage kills the adults when they bite. Program would be totally safe because the dogs take it orally, it even comes (here anyway) in chewable flavored tablets, just make sure they eat only their dose!!

Fleas are everywhere, and I honestly bet (not to freak you out) that they've been around before and you haven't seen them.

Oh, I also ment to mention to get the active ingredient on the flea shampoo you used (i.e. the pesticide in it) and ask at the vets when you buy the other treatment, so as to make sure there are no conflicts.

HTH
:|

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Romanwild » March 10th, 2006, 9:15 am

I have seen two fleas in 2.5 years and not bites.

I use frontline plus in the non winter months as well as brewers yeast/garlic tabs.

The biospot ands collars are old school technology and has to be processed through the liver. Cats and dogs have died. My vet has witnessed it first hand. The Frontline and advantage is only absorbed in the skin and is not processed through their entire system AND it works!

Now take a dseep breath! LOL
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Jenn » March 10th, 2006, 9:53 am

I use frontline as well. The cat, and all dogs have always been on Frontline, and I've never had a flea problem. I did notice a flea a few months ago on my cat's nose. Since then I've been making sure I get it good and on her skin not just her hair, and no problems. I'd recommend Frontline to anyone with or without flea problems. As long as you stay on top of them, then you won't have to deal with the problem. It's been staying so hot here, I'd be worried about skipping months. I've been late applying it plenty of times here and there though, and never had any issues. Do those of you that skip only skip because of snow/cold weather?
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » March 10th, 2006, 10:17 am

I feed the dogs garlic, it has worked so far. :| I used to use Frontline but the cats love to groom Munkee & Ollie & I was afraid they would lick it off. We had a VERY mild winter & I am hoping the garlic is still going to do the trick.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » March 10th, 2006, 10:27 am

One of them, you have to wait to use it after bathing. Be sure to check that.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby katiek0417 » March 10th, 2006, 11:07 am

I typically use Frontline Plus on my girls, but towards the end of the month, I would notice a couple of fleas on them (granted I'm sure it's still working since I don't have an outbreak).

But a DC K-9 officer that I'm friends with told me about this stuff called Zonk-It 35. He has 4 of his own dogs, and his K-9...so it would get quite expensive if he had to supply all of them with Frontline, etc...Zonk-It 35 was originally designed for horses, but is safe for dogs. It repels flies, mosquitos, ticks, fleas, gnats, etc for ~35 days. It's really inexpensive, too ($9 for 32 oz). You just spray it on them (I usually bathe, wait one day, then spray).
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » March 10th, 2006, 11:12 am

katiek0417 wrote:I typically use Frontline Plus on my girls, but towards the end of the month, I would notice a couple of fleas on them (granted I'm sure it's still working since I don't have an outbreak).

But a DC K-9 officer that I'm friends with told me about this stuff called Zonk-It 35. He has 4 of his own dogs, and his K-9...so it would get quite expensive if he had to supply all of them with Frontline, etc...Zonk-It 35 was originally designed for horses, but is safe for dogs. It repels flies, mosquitos, ticks, fleas, gnats, etc for ~35 days. It's really inexpensive, too ($9 for 32 oz). You just spray it on them (I usually bathe, wait one day, then spray).

Wow, sounds great! Where do you find it?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » March 10th, 2006, 12:11 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Wow, sounds great! Where do you find it?

I usually get mine from Jeffers Pet.

http://www.jefferspet.com

Then just do a search for Zonk-It 35.

Good luck
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » March 10th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Its got the same stuff as Bio-spot :|
(Cut Heal) Fly Spray contains 0.50% Permethrin.

Just as an aside, at the shelter, we get in alot of dogs with ticks during the spring - fall mos. I use a pyrethins based mousse style flea-tick preparation. I leave it on overnight and the fleas and ticks are gone the next day. I don't know how long it lasts however.
The Adams flea spray they sell on Jeffers is pyrethins.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » March 10th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Thanks so much for all of the help...I'm returning the drops today (I did see the warning about cats, but since I don't have one anymore :cry: RIP Tatter Fatter...)

I'll just go get the real McCoy and not worry about it. Is advantage/frontline applied down the entire back too or just the neck? I'm hoping just the neck so I can put it under their collars and not worry about them licking it off each other...
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby pocketpit » March 10th, 2006, 3:13 pm

You can apply it in one spot, but many choose a couple of differnt spots just becuase the sheer volume can create a mess expecially in short haired dogs. If you put it where their collars go, be sure to leave the collars off until it dries otherwise the collar will absorb the stuff and it may not work like it's supposed to.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » March 10th, 2006, 3:43 pm

I usually apply Advantage in a few spot around Oscar's shoulders to the middle of his back. I worried about the same thing applying by the tail, he is one flexible scratcher!

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Miakoda » March 10th, 2006, 3:51 pm

I'm hoping just the neck so I can put it under their collars and not worry about them licking it off each other...

Actually, that is a bad idea (sorry). If you do that, then the liquid will be absorbed by the collar instead of the dog. :P It's best to bathe the dog, wait a full 24 hrs, then apply the drops at the base of the neck (make sure you part the hair & get in on the skin...I usually do about an 1 1/2 line with the stuff) right before bedtime. This way, you can separate the dogs (I know, I know, it's just for 1 night though!) & by morn all will be well & the grease spot gone.

As for BioSpot, between that & the Hartz crap, I've seen more cats die a painful death than I ever want to see. Plus, adverse reactions in dogs are on the rise as well. Just a lil fyi
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby JCleve86 » March 10th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Good points about the collars...duh...lol

Luckily I bathed them yesterday and intuition told me to wait to put the drops on until today...so now I can return the junk and get the good stuff! And it's even on sale! YAY!

Thanks again everyone...
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » March 10th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Just remember to check to make sure the flea shampoo you used is ok to use with what you get :)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health