Question about tick

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 10:43 am

I found a tick on Princess a few weeks back, I put her on prevention right away with Frontline...not many options here...she haven't had any tick or fleas since.

On the spot on her ear where the tick was, now the bump is still there, I can scratch off the scab once every few days, but always a little redness when I scratch off the scab........why is it still there and still scabbing?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » March 10th, 2006, 10:48 am

Well if it has a scab don't pick it off! We don't do that to ourselves. We let the scab fall off and it heals. If you continually pick the scab it won't heal right.
Did the tick fall off or did you pull it off?
At the shelter I usually pick them off carefully so the head won't remain. They usually do have a scab for a while but if you remove it, it will delay the healing process.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 10:53 am

ummm...I didn't know it was a tick until I removed it, so I think the head remained.....that's why I was picking at it thinking I could remove the head that way........ :|
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » March 10th, 2006, 11:58 am

You need to get the head out of there.... can you feel a little hard lump?

Look around on line, there has to be a way for you to do it yourself.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 10th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Was the tick engorged when you pulled it off? If it wasn't then you're o.k., I believe. Check with your vet.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 10th, 2006, 12:28 pm

I've never had a tick's head remain. I have seen the bump and scab though. It takes a while to go away. Remember ticks release some sort of anticoagulant when they attach so it is probably a reaction to that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Romanwild wrote:Was the tick engorged when you pulled it off? If it wasn't then you're o.k., I believe. Check with your vet.

Yeah..the tick was engorged. I did some search, dunno how accurate it is...but it says it's relatively harmless if the head remains, it will fall out by itself over time.....
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » March 13th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Yes, it is harmless if the head remains. Just be sure to keep alcohol on the area until the head sloughs off naturally.
a-bull
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health