oh no...what have I done...

Postby Insomnia » March 9th, 2006, 2:20 pm

today walking Princess and Pipi, I encountered this approx 3 month old puppy just rolling around on the sidewalk, so the puppy decided to tag along with us...he doesn't really know how to cross traffic safely and stuff so I started asking the people around there if this dog belongs to anyone. Nobody seem to know the dog. I got a friend to take Princess and Pipi away and I tried to follow this puppy around to see if he's got a home...well, but he just started going wherever I was going, so I took him to a vet to scan for microchip, no luck.

The dog is kind of stinky, some hair loss in the ear area, I really dunno if someone's dog just ran away or if it's a stray puppy......but I've never seen this little guy around b4, I know most of the strays around the neighborhood. Okay....so this little guy is at my apartment. The rescue that I have contact with does not have any room for this guy, many fosters keeping multiple dogs already... I would like to foster, but it's really gonna be a messy situation for me working 12 hours a day, I do get a few more days off than usual though. Right now, my parents live next door help me take care of Princess when I work, but they're not willing at all to help me take care of another dog......turning into AC they'll just put him to sleep, I think I need to search for more rescues around, but I believe most would want me to foster and they just help advertise adoption.......I really don't have much time to take care of a puppy, I dunno what to do...but I kinda know what I'm suppose to do...

here's the little guy, clearly no way of telling what kind of breeds may be mixed with.

Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » March 9th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Awww, he's CUTE and looks right at home already! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » March 9th, 2006, 2:36 pm

OMG that pup is gorgeous!!! ok, you work 12 hours a day, can you put him in that cute puppy house he is in now and maybe gate it off so he has a place to sleep, and a corner to potty?? and get someone to come in and play with him a few times during the day? they do have litter boxes for dogs, maybe you can put a litter box in an area and gate him with the house he is in and do it that way? and maybe beg your folks to please help .... i just cant see that pup being euthanized ...... can you hire a pet sitter or something???? can you come home during lunch or something?? call around more rescues, and see if they can take him, he is just a little puppy, so maybe one of them will have the room?? can you bring him to work with you??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 9th, 2006, 3:00 pm

okay...yeah, I'm planning to leave him there while I find help, the area is my small balcony....should I keep him quarantined from my dog 'til tomorrow I can take him in to check up on his health? I guess he is just 3 months old don't need to take him out for long walks with Princess and Pipi....as long as he is healthy and no skin issues, I can let him stay inside the apartment while I'm at home, maybe I can pay off my little bro to help me a bit. But the most troubling issue is to find an adopter for this little guy, because most ppl here like to buy cute puppies from pet stores, and there is more than enough dogs that needs to be rescued and just not enough people...and so many handicapped/injured dogs that's a priority for most rescues.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 9th, 2006, 3:03 pm

i would not leave him on a balcony... if he gets out and falls he will meet an untimely demise.. what about in a room in the house like your bedroom?? maybe ask people at work if anyone is looking for a pup?? i would keep calling the rescue groups around there, and keep bugging them... maybe someone in the neighborhood is looking to adopt??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 9th, 2006, 3:09 pm

another thing is that I noticed one of the stray around here recently gave birth...but usually in the winter, few puppies would survive.....I've never seen this little guy around b4, it was pretty cold here the last couple months and very wet, could it be that he was hiding somewhere and just never came out b4? He looked so happy when I saw him though.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » March 9th, 2006, 3:11 pm

He looks pretty fat & healthy, it could be that someone got tired of the poor baby & tossed him out. Have you put up "found puppy" posters yet? Maybe he just got away from his house or something.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Insomnia » March 9th, 2006, 3:24 pm

not yet, I'm doing it first thing tomorrow morning, it's in the AM here right now....he does look pretty fat, but he's got hair loss around the ears and a little bit of red rash on chest......should I just have the vet check up on him anyways and vaccinate him? Or should I post some posters first to see if he belongs to anyone? It could be possible that someone is feeding him.....
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 9th, 2006, 3:27 pm

have the vet check him over, and keep him away from your dogs just in case..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » March 9th, 2006, 4:59 pm

Damn, you found yourself a cutie!
Purple
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 1:09 am

got some update.....today took him to the vet, got vaccinated, and looks like the little guy have mange. I have no idea what kind it is 'cuz the vet was speaking in mandarin, but she said it is contagious, she gave her a shot, and gave me some 'medicine' water to apply to her skin daily. She say 5 days it should be okay and 10 days should be completely healed.

right now he's quarantined at my balcony in that little dog house spoiled Pipi don't want...there isn't anywhere else I can keep him right now, I made sure the balcony is safe and nothing he can climb so he can't see anything on the other side that can tempt him to get over the rails. Contacted a few rescues, but not much surprise, no room to foster, but they'll help me advertise adoption. I'll still put up posters around the neighborhood to see if someone lost their not so well kept dog.....so looks like this little guy's gonna be here for a while. Next thing I guess it's neutering I gotta do...should I do it while he has the skin problem or wait 'til later?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 10th, 2006, 8:56 am

wait until the mange is better.. if its sarcopic mange then yes, its contagious to humans and dogs.. if its demodex its not contagious to humans or dogs.(but you never know.)

go to http://www.botanicaldog.com and order the neem oil, and the flea therapy shampoo kit.. its all natural ingredients, and the neem oil is a natural insecticide that will kill the mange mites .. mange mites live under the skin, so the only way to see them is to do a skin scraping.. what kind of water medicine did the vet give you? did they give you ivermectin oral doses too?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 9:22 am

Maryellen wrote:wait until the mange is better.. if its sarcopic mange then yes, its contagious to humans and dogs.. if its demodex its not contagious to humans or dogs.(but you never know.)

go to http://www.botanicaldog.com and order the neem oil, and the flea therapy shampoo kit.. its all natural ingredients, and the neem oil is a natural insecticide that will kill the mange mites .. mange mites live under the skin, so the only way to see them is to do a skin scraping.. what kind of water medicine did the vet give you? did they give you ivermectin oral doses too?

Thanx a lot for the info, I really need it! I read up on sarcopic mange and it seems like that is what he has. I'm not sure what medicine the vet gave me, she described it in mandarin.....I have no idea what it is..but he has to go in weekly for shots, again, I dunno what the shot is in english....errr. Next time, I'll try to read the bottle. Since she is going to recieve weekly shots for a month, should I still ask for oral treatment? The vet seem pretty confident that it will be cured in 10 days.....

Umm...Princess came in contact with her last night, i washed her with anti flea shampoo this morning..she slept on my bed last night too...I guess I should wash all my stuff? I read that the sarcopic mites don't survive that long without a host.....should I be concerned about princess at all? Is there like any prevention I can do with my other dogs just in case?

I need to find out how to translate Neem oil to chinese.....
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 9:37 am

also...I'm was reading the ingredient on Princess's heartgard worm prevention...it's got invermectin...? will that be of any use?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 10th, 2006, 9:42 am

if she is going in for shots every week or month it sounds like she is giving the puppy ivermectin shots.. you can do shots or orally, the shots are more expensive as the vet charges you probably for each visit and shot.. i would not give the pup the heartguard, just let the vet give the shots and stuff.. i would keep the dogs away from the pup, and if its sarcopic mange wear thick heavy surgical gloves when handling him, and scrub yourself down after you touch and play with him, and change your clothing as well....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jenn » March 10th, 2006, 9:46 am

Poor little guy, good luck with him.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 10:36 am

Maryellen wrote:if she is going in for shots every week or month it sounds like she is giving the puppy ivermectin shots.. you can do shots or orally, the shots are more expensive as the vet charges you probably for each visit and shot.. i would not give the pup the heartguard, just let the vet give the shots and stuff.. i would keep the dogs away from the pup, and if its sarcopic mange wear thick heavy surgical gloves when handling him, and scrub yourself down after you touch and play with him, and change your clothing as well....

He is going in for shots every week, vet care is dirt cheap here, the shot is less than $5 usd, the medication to apply on her skin is $20 for 4 days worth. Yeah, the vet told me to wear gloves when applying the medication. Poor little guy, can't come out and play, he wants to play so bad.

Another question....I have flaxseed oil and some grounded flax seeds, I add them to Princess & Pipi's diet a few times a week...I really dunno exactly what they do, but I heard it help with their immune system...is it good to add that to this little guy's diet?

Any suggestions for a name for this poor guy?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 10th, 2006, 10:47 am

the medicine you are pouring on her skin is probably in a little brown bottle right?? its super heavy duty, i had a bottle at my house but i didnt use it .. its a dip.. i forgot the name of it... dam. wait, is it mitaban??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » March 10th, 2006, 10:50 am

Maryellen wrote:the medicine you are pouring on her skin is probably in a little brown bottle right?? its super heavy duty, i had a bottle at my house but i didnt use it .. its a dip.. i forgot the name of it... dam. wait, is it mitaban??

Yeah, the bottle is an heavy duty glass bottle, kind of like a smaller version of the 2 litre soft drink bottle. But it's not brown, it's clear.....the liquid is whitish, the vet say it's diluted already for 4 days portion.....I'm suppose to apply and scrub the affected area with it and not wash it off.

Howcome you didn't use it?
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 10th, 2006, 10:53 am

the bottle is brown, but the liquid was clear. it is very powerful.. it was given to me by my vet for my former foster pup who had no fur and severe demodex mange.. it sounds like its not the same stuff.
Maryellen
I live here

Next

Return to Rescue