Camping with a Bully

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 10:04 pm

We would like to do some camping near an atv riding area this summer. We would bring Rocky. If by the summer he has a good recall would it be ok to have him in our campsite off leash. I would do this only if I felt real confident that he would not wander and stay by our side. Or is there some neat ideas anyone has for putting up temporary runs. Should I purchase a few xpens and make a temporary yard?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 8th, 2006, 10:11 pm

I'd purchase the xpens just as you're never sure what other dogs may be around even if he does have flawless recall by then.

Or have him on a really long line that he drags . . . but that could get messy if he ends up tying up chairs and such :wink:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Maryellen » March 8th, 2006, 10:16 pm

make sure if you are camping in a campground pit bulls are allowed, some campgrounds dont allow dogs and others do but not pitbulls..
i would NEVER take my pit bull off leash.. thats asking for way to much trouble.. you can get 30 foot long leashes, and build a big xpen enclosure...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Ok thats why I ask. I probably would not have felt comfortable enough. I will get x pens and long leads. I am even worried about agility training since the area we will be working is not fenced in but it is 56 acres and If the other dogs dont leave the area I suppose he will stay with the other dogs.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2006, 11:29 pm

I definately wouldn't. If he takes off after a deer he probably won't recall. Dogs also seem to have an unending attraction to porcupines.

You could also get a zip line so he can run around. bring chains to loop around the trees.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » March 9th, 2006, 8:17 am

We have a boy scout in the family Im sure he could help tie a zip line up to the trees. But I think I would like to make an xpen fence around the tent and possibly around the car so he can get in and out of crate and tent. I observed some incredible set ups with campers at an agility show. But those people have years of practice.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 9th, 2006, 9:00 am

I'm not into letting this breed run loose. I did it once at Michelle's camp but I waited a while until I knew it was o.k.. He still took off once!

I would like to take my kids camping sometime. Maybe in the Adirondacks and do some hiking!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 9th, 2006, 2:00 pm

I have been hiking with a pit, and camping with a bull terrier. Off leash is NOT a good idea. Most campsites have a firm on leash policy. They can and will kick you out for disobeying it.

You will not be watching your dog every second. You may think you will, but you may need to tend the fire, or turn to talk to someone (all normal things) and that is when he will sneak off. And they WILL sneak off.

Also kids at campgrounds often run loose, and people's dogs are often totally unsocialized and leash barkers. They come out of nowhere, they come through your site sometimes. The kids can start screaming in the middle of the night because they are playing, or they are teens flirting. It is NOT the place for an off leash pit, or any other reactive dog, ie anything other than a newfoundland or a really fat old lab.

Do take him camping. I would bring a crate for in the tent-they can rip the side of a tent open in 5 second flat! Do proof him before hand on sounds in the night. Dogs used to quite houses often wake up barking at all the campground noises. I have even put the bull terrier in the car over night because it muffles sound better-both inside and outside the car.

Enjoy camping with the dogs, a dog lying by a campfire is a great thing. Take him on a few good hikes to tire him out too;-)

Jen
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » March 9th, 2006, 3:31 pm

Everyone please dont worry Im keeping him on a leash. I was more wondering about if the camp area was secluded not campground style what thoughts were about off leash. there are lots of people who hike with their dogs off leash so I was wondering. I would not even consider it if it was campground style anyway.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 9th, 2006, 3:50 pm

even if you are in the middle of nowhere i would say no off leash for any pitbull... its just too risky.. if they chase a deer they are allowed to be shot for chasing wild animals, they could get hit by a car.. etc....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » March 9th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Skunks....watch out for skunks.......
Purple
I live here

Postby Malli » March 9th, 2006, 4:57 pm

ANY dog can be shot for chasing wildlife or livestock. I doubt you could ever proof a dog for something like a deer, since its not something you'd normally come across, its big, and it moves, and fast!

I bought a 20 ft. track line and I attach it to a harness and I put Oscar on that. The only time he is offleash is if I am very sure there are no other dogs around and he is swimming, as soon as we are done, he is back on lead. I'd make sure he has a nice sweater or coat too! Bullies get cold outdoors! (trust me I've had to put him in my sweatshirt and in the sleeping bag) In the site I put him on a 30 ft. long line (made of that cheap yellow rope) and adjust as needed so he doesn't knock over chairs etc.

HTH

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 9th, 2006, 5:21 pm

LOL speaking of knocking over chairs, don't forget lanterns, coolers, beer bottles, the fire pit, tents...anything that isn't nailed down can and will get swept aside when your dog decides he just HAS to get to the other side of the campsite!!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk