Help my pups adicted to tree sap

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Rocky has a new adiction. Licking sap off of a tree in the back yard. It took me a bit to realize what he was doing behind this one tree untill he came in with sap drips all over his hair. First of all it is making him loopy. too much sugar or something. He keeps barking to go out to go get a lick. The other problem is it is causing matting on his hair. If feels yuk when you pet him. How the heck will I get it out? Will it wash out? Is there some remedy for stiky sap clumps? Any clues/ideas on what I can do to keep him away from the tree? The sap apears to be dripping from the top of the tree. And it also happens to be one of his favorite spots and now I know why.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 8th, 2006, 9:46 pm

so rocky has found his addiction ...... that is a good one. is the sap easy for him to get, does he stand up for it on 2 legs or not? can you put an xpen around the tree? or spray Bitter Ends on the tree? you can get bitter ends in any pet store, do NOT get it on your fingers or mouth, the taste lasts for 24 hours and its really really really gross( i touched my finger to my mouth and found out the hard way)
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 9:51 pm

No he does not have to stand up on 2 legs. I dont have an x pen, but I have this deer netting for my pond to keep leaves out which I might be able to put around the area. Untill he figures to chew through it. However I never have him out without checking on him every few seconds. He can just lick it from the ground. Its dripping from way up top. My husband has a soulution. FIREWOOD. What I really want to do is get it out of the hair.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 9:53 pm

The other problem is if he is over there licking it he totally ignores me when I call him in. wont even look at me.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 8th, 2006, 9:56 pm

you can put him on a 30 foot long leash so that he cant reach the tree.. if its dripping on the ground there is not much you can do but maybe put an xpen around the tree entirely so he cant lick the sap or get it in his fur.... and i have no idea how to get it out of his fur.... thats a good one.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Im sure if he could reach his tonge to the area on his back he would lick it off.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 8th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Maybe if you offered him a pancake to go with the sap he'd come running . . .

:|
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 10:05 pm

He prefers waffles. Good Idea thanks!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Here are a few ways to get sap out of clothes, it should work for hair

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf860271.tip.html
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » March 9th, 2006, 12:33 am

What kind of tree is it? (My husband the landscaper wants to know) Is it a maple? (which would make sense)

There are these tree guard things that you can get to enclose the tree so the dog can't get to it. We've used them on young trees to protect them from nutty dogs digging them up, running into them and using them as spring poles. I'll have to call the landscape supply store to find out what they're called.

If you post a picture of the tree and where the sap is coming from - Mark can figure out what to do, then I'll post it for you.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby rockermom » March 9th, 2006, 8:10 am

Ok later when I go out to rig up something around the tree I will get a pic. It is an old tree very tall. Without leaves Im not sure what it is. There are two close together and one or both produces like hazel nuts or something.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 9th, 2006, 9:49 am

If it is Maple it will run for a few months then stop. Look at the leaves on the ground at the base, and if they looks like the leaf on the Canadian flag, you have a maple.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » March 9th, 2006, 10:13 am

Well first there are no leaves on the ground or tree. I had a piece of vinyl lattice which I did my best to put around the tree for now. Rocky sure investigated how he will get around or under. But for the short time he is out it should keep him from getting dripped on at least.
This is the tree sap is dripping out from one of those upper branches.
This is my temporary keep away.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby rockermom » March 9th, 2006, 10:15 am

mnp13 wrote:Here are a few ways to get sap out of clothes, it should work for hair

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf860271.tip.html

One idea on that site was rubbing alcohol. would that be safe to use on his hair?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 9th, 2006, 10:50 am

I don't see why not. Just put some on a cotton ball and use as little as possible to get the job done. It will dry his skin out, so you might want to put a little lotion on after you are done
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » March 9th, 2006, 11:15 am

Ok seems the rubbing alc. helped. did not completely remove but much better. Then I gave him a bath and I have this baby perfume oil stuff I put on those spots. See how it is when he is completely dry.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Return to Training & Behavior