APBTs vs. Samoyeds -- Weight Pull Demo

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Ultimatek9 » September 3rd, 2007, 4:16 pm

Yesterday our club (Mid-Florida APBT Association) was at the AKC Responsible Dog Owner Day in Tampa. We brought five APBTs with us to meet and greet the public, including my boy Jaeger.
When it came for us to do our weight pull demo, the Samoyed group decided they wanted to pull against our dogs. Jaeger has been trained by pulling a tire, occasionally we would add weight for him also. He had never pulled on an actual track before. I was very happy with his performance. The APBTs won.
Here is the video, but I had to split in two parts so that it would fit.
Part 1 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lri1rGdGDQM
Part 2 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26YbPv8tiAU
Carla Ann
UWP UAGI Medwin Jaeger Von Deuce CGC TT TD SD HIC FD FDX FDCH FDCH-S FDCH-G WP3
UWP CH Lil Bit O' Hennessy CGC TT TD FD FDX FDCH WP3 TDA(3x)
CH 'PR' Diablo Bullys Patron On The Rocks CGC TT TD
Bullocks Mak'n U Green With Envy
Diablos My Time To Shine
Ultimatek9
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 3rd, 2007, 4:38 pm

Those are fun videos! I'm surprised the Samoyeds didn't do better - aren't they bred to be sled dogs?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Ultimatek9 » September 3rd, 2007, 5:24 pm

I believe they are sled dogs. But supposedly they are trained to run back and forth to pull the load, and not pull in a straight line. At least that is what one of their owners said. That seems like it would be cheating to me.
Carla Ann
UWP UAGI Medwin Jaeger Von Deuce CGC TT TD SD HIC FD FDX FDCH FDCH-S FDCH-G WP3
UWP CH Lil Bit O' Hennessy CGC TT TD FD FDX FDCH WP3 TDA(3x)
CH 'PR' Diablo Bullys Patron On The Rocks CGC TT TD
Bullocks Mak'n U Green With Envy
Diablos My Time To Shine
Ultimatek9
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jenn » September 3rd, 2007, 5:54 pm

Geez, looks like they need more practice.
Jenn
undecided

Postby brooksybrooks1 » September 3rd, 2007, 5:58 pm

oh my gosh, that's so funny! my parents have a samoyed, i feel like i was just sitting here watching my 9yr old juneau on a sled, she's a bit of a ditz and a total sweetheart, something tells me she would react the exact same way! they are just such sweet dogs, i've never met one that didn't have a big smile and a kind heart. that's fun that they wanted to pull with the big guys too.
p.s.: jaegar looked at lot like tre in that video, i had to do a double take for a second! although jaegars patches are way more beautiful! congrats, it looks like he did well!
Jenna
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » September 3rd, 2007, 6:33 pm

Wonderful! Go bullies!

Honestly though...what were the Samoyed folks thinking? that's like asking couch potatoes to get up and run a marathon...these dogs haven't been used to pull sleds for years! I haven't seen a Sammy sled dog team ever. Even AKC huskies aren't used anymore...Alaskan huskies are mixes of different breeds that love to work.

It was good to see them give it a go, but I'd hate to see some of those Sammy dogs the next morning...pulled muscles, strained tendons, etc. The bullies definitely knew how to pull!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby maberi » September 3rd, 2007, 7:16 pm

Ha, I think it would have made more sense to put the Samoyeds in the cart so the bullies could pull them
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby iluvk9 » September 3rd, 2007, 7:18 pm

I think their fur gets in the way of their eyes. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby gayrghts » September 3rd, 2007, 9:05 pm

On September 03 2007, 6:16 PM, maberi wrote:Ha, I think it would have made more sense to put the Samoyeds in the cart so the bullies could pull them

In a couple of situations it looked like the Sammy's thought that also.
Heather

A dog teaches a (kid) boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Robert Benchley
gayrghts
I live here

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » September 3rd, 2007, 9:08 pm

Great videos!
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » September 4th, 2007, 2:42 pm

On September 03 2007, 17:24, Ultimatek9 wrote:I believe they are sled dogs. But supposedly they are trained to run back and forth to pull the load, and not pull in a straight line. At least that is what one of their owners said. That seems like it would be cheating to me.

Sled dogs or not, if they haven't been in training, they had no business pulling.

In my opinion, one of the difficulty of the Nordic breeds is the independance that was bred into the breeds. Many Pit Bulls (and other Bull breeds) will do anything they can to please you, whereas there doesn't seem to be that same "feeling" from the nordics.

The "run back and forth" thing is to break a sled loose from frozen ground, once it's loose, they just pull forward.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » September 4th, 2007, 9:26 pm

On September 03 2007, Ultimatek9 wrote:I believe they are sled dogs. But supposedly they are trained to run back and forth to pull the load, and not pull in a straight line. At least that is what one of their owners said. That seems like it would be cheating to me.

It is to break the sled loose in snow/ice but is a waste of energy when usings cart or rail. It's not cheating.

I'm currently working on having them hit it hard and not stop. I noticed a lot of dogs will charge forward but stop when they feel the resistance. Then they have to start pulling again to get it moving. Once they get it moving it's easier for them to just keep going.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby brooksybrooks1 » September 5th, 2007, 11:55 am

i know juneau would rather be in the cart than pulling it!!! that lump on a log of a dog lays on a cool tile floor all day and that's about it! my parents seem to think that just because she pulls on the leash she's a "sled dog, bred to pull." i think that's bs! i think she's a fat lazy slob with no training, bred to look pretty and be friendly but not to think or work! but that's just me, and juneau!
Jenna
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Return to Sports