ANYONE READ THIS BOOK? OR HEARD OF IT?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby chance's mom » February 14th, 2006, 10:15 pm

The book i came across is Don't shoot the dog! " The new art of teaching and training."
Just curious. I am getting ready to read it, and wondered if anyone else has read it.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Judy » February 14th, 2006, 10:18 pm

I haven't read it yet but I heard it was a v. good read. Let me know how you like it.
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby chance's mom » February 14th, 2006, 10:42 pm

definately will. my friend had to read it, she is going to school to be a psychologist. i figure the more i can understand a dogs behavior, the more effective i can be in training and making my dog happy. he will be a part of my life for years and years to come.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Romanwild » February 15th, 2006, 12:00 am

IMO you're better off with Gary Wilkes then Karen Pryor. :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby rottgrl » March 5th, 2006, 8:40 pm

I just read it.....its ok, in my opinion. For me there wasn't enough specific information, but it helps to remind you that they are dogs.

I am ordering Terri Arnold's books, since I do competitive obedience. A lot of people I train with say she is great....but the books are $40 a piece! I've been doing a lot of reading lately since I have a very energetic 2 yr old male rottie who is capable of advanced obedience IF I can figure out how to train him! :? He is quite a challenge.

Stephanie
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby concreterose » March 8th, 2006, 10:14 am

I liked it. Many of the techniques are good to use on people too 8)
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 8th, 2006, 11:22 am

Karan Pryor is an incredably expirienced trainer, and one of the 'greats' in the non-contact sports world. I have heard this book recommended a LOT. I have not read it myself however. As you said, at 25-40 bucks a book, I haven't read a lot of books I would like to.

A fun beginner book I read a while ago was "So your dog isn't Lassie". It is not for stupid dogs, but non-herding breeds. Addresses stubbornness, lack of drive, overdrive combined with stubborness, shutting down and all sorts of issues that most BC folks don't have to deal with. It is written in a humorous and sympathetic way, and the authors own dogs include English Bull Dogs and a Newfoundland-so they have worked with some hard dogs. As I said, it is a very beginner level, but I enjoy reading those, as it makes me remember to practice the foundation work.

Pam Dennison is another good author, although sometimes can get a little too PC. But her book Bringing Light to Shadow was amazing, and I highly recommend it to anyone dealing with or thinking about a fear aggressive dog. Just remember to have tissues with you towards the end!
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2006, 11:34 am

Check ebay. I found a few of Terri Arnold's books. Funny enough they want $40 for a used copy, but you can put in an offer as well.

That must be a new ebay thing though, I've never heard of it before.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 8th, 2006, 11:41 am

try amazon.com or dogwise.com they sometimes have books on sale..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rottgrl » March 8th, 2006, 2:03 pm

I enjoyed reading Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog...its just that I would have liked more specifics....but it was an easy, good read.

I also shop a lot for books on eBay, Amazon and Dogwise. I'm lucky to have a great library system here too, and I usually check them out first before I shell out the dough! But Terri Arnold's books are not available at my library so I am buying them....the first two anyway!

I also checked my library for "So your dog's not Lassie" and they have it...should be here in a few days! LOL....I'm always open to new ideas. And since I will be working with 4-H kids and teaching classes for my local kennel club again, its nice to have new techniques to pass on to students.

Right now I am focusing on the AKC obedience regulations, as I am judging a fun match this weekend! Next weekend is an AKC conformation fun match that I am judging working and hounds.....think I spend a little too much time with dogs?!?!? LOl

Stephanie
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior