Tyler's a Green Belt!

Postby msvette2u » June 1st, 2007, 1:11 pm

He had a belt promotion last night!

Breaking a board with a round kick

Taking off his blue belt

Green now!

Bowing to the instructor
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » June 1st, 2007, 1:23 pm

It's interesting that they would have him take kicks so "deep" into the other person.

That's both dangerous, and often ineffective against a forward progressing attacker.

Eh, but what do I know. :|

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Big_Ant » June 1st, 2007, 1:23 pm

And . . . Congrats to him!
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby msvette2u » June 1st, 2007, 2:14 pm

Thanks!!

TKD is a very "hands on" type martial arts. Our instructor often would put on a protector and have us hit him or kick him. The students need to know how it feels to actually make contact. I usually would make contact if with just my toe.
Self control is a very huge part of TKD obviously. As long as nobody gets "hurt" badly then we have to get as close as possible without doing damage ;)
You should see actual SPARRING. That was a "one step" with that kick where he's facing the camera :)

http://tkd.tomcatuk.net/one-step-sparring.html

On a side note, I often got bruises from blocking...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » June 1st, 2007, 2:32 pm

On 06/01/2007 11:14 AM, msvette2u wrote:You should see actual SPARRING.

Seen it for years. My father was a freestyle martial artist before he was killed, back in the 80's before all the MMA craze and mixing of styles became popular. We were a part of a dojo that had TKD, Karate, and a myriad of other styles, but we were still kind of detached since my father was my trainer, and I was only brought into the other groups for sparring. I got my first "kudos" in the sport when one of the kids in their group mouthed off and talked trash about me, so my dad offered to let me spar the kid. Let's just say that I wasn't the one who needed the ambulance to come out and double check on a bloody nose and bruised face. I can still feel the 'moment' in my memories with the ambulance lights in the background of my father sitting next to the window of the dojo, leaning into my shoulder and saying "good job". Good feelings.

He was also undefeated as an escrima fighter. I knew a little, enough to get by effectively if that was my only defense, but he was killed before I was able to really get into it, and get older and better.

His full philosophy was that if your opponent was disabled, they couldn't fight, could they! Obviously, there was reserve within that and other things, but that was the general philosophy between us for real world protection.

That was a "one step" with that kick where he's facing the camera :)

Still dangerous, IMO. Deep kicks like that can cause injury to the kicker's leg, and well as leave you wide open for quite a few other retaliations by the person you are kicking. With the style that my father taught me, I always HOPED for the person to get close like that. That was glory there.
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Marinepits » June 1st, 2007, 3:08 pm

escrima

That's some type of stick or staff fighting, right? Very cool stuff. I bet it was really neat to watch him practice. Did you ever get to see him fight?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » June 1st, 2007, 3:17 pm

Congrats Tyler!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 1st, 2007, 4:04 pm

Rock on, Tyler!!! :rock:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby msvette2u » June 1st, 2007, 4:20 pm

Thanks ;)
Ant, that sounds interesting. I think this dojang teaches much LESS physical contact, then, than the one your father taught in.
But all that aside, one kid got his arm broken last week... :shock: However, it was after class and he was horsing around :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » June 2nd, 2007, 6:11 pm

He must be very proud of his accomplishments!

:congrats:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Vertigo » August 24th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Grats on the promotion!

Although I got my Green TKD belt before my Blue one. It doesn't look like he's in a WTF school though. That would explain the belt rank.

Big_Ant that would also explain the different kicking style. WTF nowadays is the major Federation, as any worthwhile international competition including the Olympic games follow its rules. Different rules call for different kicking technique.

His distance is fine if he'd train some snap in to his kick. I'd have the little guy work on his flexibility a bit more though he's having a hard time holding his form because he can't extend his lower leg.
Vertigo
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby PandaBear » August 24th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Way to go Tyler!
PandaBear
Confident Young Bully

Postby Scout » August 24th, 2007, 3:58 pm

congrats to Tyler! What an accomplishment! :D

I was once sparring with a partner that was 6ft tall (I'm just a little 'ol 5 footer). I was coming in for a punch, at the same time he was lifting his leg to kick, and silly me, ran my stomach into his foot and I knocked the wind out of myself.

not one of my most finest moments in life. :oops:
Scout
Welcome Wagger

Postby Jenn » August 24th, 2007, 7:37 pm

Here I was thinking he advanced AGAIN, I thought man he's doing really well, lol. Then I realized it was a bumped post, but I never replied anyway. So Congrats to Tyler!
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » August 24th, 2007, 11:21 pm

Congrats!!! :greenWave:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby msvette2u » August 25th, 2007, 2:54 pm

BTW Tyler broke his hand sparring the other day :(
No cast, it's a 'greenstick' type fracture but still.
Yay...he's a green belt :?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » August 26th, 2007, 8:12 am

YOUCH! Poor Tyler!
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 26th, 2007, 9:39 am

RUH OH!!! :shock:

When does he go back to school and is it his writing hand?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Tuesday--and no, thank God, it's his left hand...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby amazincc » August 26th, 2007, 9:55 pm

That boy has the worst luck... I hope he'll feel better soon! :o
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Return to Two Legged Family Members