Hello from Florida

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby Nelson » March 7th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Hello to all!

My name is Nelson. I had APBTs for 12 years where I lived until BSL took them all away. Before that, we competed succesfully in FCI Obedience. We were able to win the 1989 Fall Circuit National CD Championship and then went on to win the FCI CDX title. Unfortunately my dog, "Drago", suffered an untimely death due to cancer at only 4 years of age. Just one month before going to his UD title.

I was also the president and training director and founder of Caribbean Ring Sport, Inc. The first official ring club in PR that existed from 1987-2000. I had a column in Dog Sports Magazine titled "It's The Pits", from 1986-1996, where I wrote about different themes and topics regarding the raising, training and breeding of APBTs for working purposes. I also had a weekly radio talk show that I hosted called "Man's Best Friend".

Besides training dogs for hobby, my "real life job" is middle grade school teacher. I love to train puppies and kind of see it as my specialty. In Ring Sport we were able to get a first place in all qualifying scores from Brevet to the CRA 2000 Ring III Championships. .... but with a Malinois :| I've also given various seminars and demos. And last but not least, I was recently invited to judge Chris Fraize's Frostbite tournament in Maine. Regards.
Nelson Rodriguez

"Ah grasshopper, how is it that you cannot?" Master Po
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorkingPitBulls/
Nelson
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 7th, 2006, 2:47 pm

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » March 7th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Nelson is an excellent trainer and a good human being. He and Chris helped me a lot with Connor at Frostbite and never asked for anything in return.

Welcome to the board.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Romanwild » March 7th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 2:53 pm

YAY!

Hi Nelson!

Everyone, a weekend with Nelson was eyeopening. He and Chris worked together like a team. I thought they had spent extensive time together... but it was the first time they had met face to face!

I hope you'll find the time to be active here, your training experience will be a welcome addition to the board.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 7th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Welcome!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Chris Fraize » March 7th, 2006, 3:23 pm

WELCOME! Nelson is the master Po of dog training!

Safe training,
Chris Fraize
Chris Fraize
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 7th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Welcome welcome! I'm dealing with my first puppy right now, so be prepared for lots of messages from me about training!!! :wink:
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jenn » March 7th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Hello and welcome! :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Romanwild » March 7th, 2006, 4:35 pm

He's blind?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Romanwild wrote:He's blind?

:?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Nelson » March 8th, 2006, 10:47 am

Chris and I share many views on the training scene. Which, at least in my case, is kind of rare to come by. We'd talk for hours sharing our experiences and beliefs.

While over there during the Frostbite we talked about reading dogs . A term trainers use to identify and analize a dog's temperament and behavior. This was a very interesting topic that we entered into many of it's perspectives. The common focus point for us was the large amounts of trainers we've met who don't read the dogs properly.

That's when I made the analogy to the Kung Fu series of Master Po and his student. The student was troubled that his master, because of his blindness, couldn't see all of the richness that surrounds them. And Master Po responded by asking various questions like;

* Do you see the fish in the pond? (and a fish just skimmed the surface of a distant pond)
* Do you see bird eating in the meadow?
* Do you see the lizard trapping the flies in the corner of the roof?
* Do you see the grasshopper at your feet?

And when the student looks at all those things that his master mentioned, he looked at him puzzled and asked .... "Master, how is it that you can see all these things?" Master Po replied; "Little one, how is it that you cannot?!!!"

So it was interesting to see how both Chris and I would read dogs the same way and hear form others a completely different "read out" or evaluation on the same dogs. Then during the training sessions of those days, we would see flaws in either the dog's tempereament or training, and no matter where we were, once we saw something we would "eyeball" each other acknolwedging it.

So, the response to your questions is ..... No, I'm not blind! lol Have a great day all!
Nelson Rodriguez

"Ah grasshopper, how is it that you cannot?" Master Po
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorkingPitBulls/
Nelson
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » March 8th, 2006, 11:08 am

lol It was another joke that went over Michelle's head!

Welcome! It sounds like you will contribute a lot to the forum!

Just call me grasshopper! lol
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Purple » March 8th, 2006, 11:19 am

Hello and Welcome :trollDance:
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2006, 11:21 am

Romanwild wrote:lol It was another joke that went over Michelle's head!

I guess the first question should have been "Who is Master Po?" :|
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Introductions