Low White Blood Cell Count?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Sue » March 7th, 2006, 9:33 pm

We brought Rory in last week for her annual and the vet called today with her bloodwork results... Unfortunately, they are closed and I can't call to discuss until tomorrow...

Obviously it isn't good or the vet wouldn't have called it out - her count is 3700?? Anyone have any info? One of her kidney counts was high also, I need to bring her back in a week for another test. The one she recently had was just a wellness panel, they'll do a full work up when I bring her back.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby SisMorphine » March 7th, 2006, 9:36 pm

Well to ease your mind slightly: any bloodwork that is done SHOULD have a phone call made afterwards, good or bad.

Though I'm not sure what numbers mean what, I will say that my cat has always had one of her levels elevated (can't remember which) from the time she was a kitten, and at 17 years old is still kicking and healthy (has the bloodwork of a 10 year old cat). So I wouldn't stress out too much.

You should call the vet's and leave a message with MANY numbers with which to reach you tomorrow so you can't be missed. Also check and see if your vet has an email address that they communicate with clients by. One of Wally's vets does, and it makes asking the little questions all that much easier.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Sue » March 7th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Oh, they always call, they just made mention of it in the message. She mentioned the elevated kidney level could be due to dehydration, the appointment was first thing in the morning. They'll test her urine at her next visit. The vet said that her marrow may not be making enough or that the rash she has on her belly may be the cause as well. Or that may be her "normal" count and it's nothing. They want to do a full work up to make sure that they can catch something before it becomes serious. I'll call first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, no email.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Purple » March 7th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Damn, the waiting sucks, doesn't it?
Purple
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 7th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Purple wrote:Damn, the waiting sucks, doesn't it?

And this is where I'm happy I have both of Wally's vet's cell numbers. :twisted:

Granted, they're my bosses so I have to have their numbers, but it helped out A LOT when I came home to Wally in a pool of blood after his dental :(
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Sue » March 7th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Purple wrote:Damn, the waiting sucks, doesn't it?

yeah it does :( They also found a bump on her leg. It was small, the vet didn't think she could get any fluid from it, we have to watch it.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 9th, 2006, 11:39 am

could it have been the end of an infection? White cells die after they're done clearing an infection...but they should come back up. They should test again to get a better idea.
Hope you find out something soon!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health