Rally-O

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 12:38 pm

I was just reading a website about it. Has anyone tried it?

It appears to be a random set of OB exercises that have to be done in a certian amount of time, is that correct?

It seems pretty straight forward, but that usually means it's complicated!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hartagold AmStaffs » March 7th, 2006, 2:51 pm

mnp13 wrote:I was just reading a website about it. Has anyone tried it?

It appears to be a random set of OB exercises that have to be done in a certian amount of time, is that correct?

It seems pretty straight forward, but that usually means it's complicated!!

We just started a 4 week rally class..... I'm confident that after ONE class we could get a qualifying score lol. Most of it is learning the signs (ex 360 degree right turn, etc) and the rules - the actual exercises (at least in novice) are easy and all on leash. You're allowed to talk to the dog, clap, whistle, etc just like in agility. In the upper levels the courses are a lot more complicated and they start getting tougher about using as much clapping & stuff, but novice looks almost TOO easy lol.

A friend of mine got stuck taking another friend's golden into the Advanced rally ring (she had never even WATCHED rally before, let alone done it lol) and she took him in and qualified. You can redo stations if you do them wrong (lose points, but not an NQ) or miss them, etc.
Hartagold AmStaffs
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 2:55 pm

What's with the spiral thing? does your dog have to spin around infront of you, or around you while you walk?

Do you know how titles work? You have to get one passing score? Three or four? I couldn't find it on their website.

This might be a good thing to try with Ruby, she didn't like agility because the training was very boring for her.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hartagold AmStaffs » March 7th, 2006, 3:05 pm

mnp13 wrote:What's with the spiral thing? does your dog have to spin around infront of you, or around you while you walk?

Dunno, haven't gotten to that one yet lol

Do you know how titles work? You have to get one passing score? Three or four? I couldn't find it on their website.

3 - AKC likes everything to have 3 legs lol . Rally Novice (RN) is the first title.

This might be a good thing to try with Ruby, she didn't like agility because the training was very boring for her.

Agility BORING????? Wow you must have had some bad instruction! Most dogs are screaming from excitement to do agility! LOL Just like with any other sport, you can ruin a dog with bad training!
Hartagold AmStaffs
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 3:14 pm

The training was boring. In class we did the runs over and over and over and over. After the second or third run she would zoomie all over the place and play keep away. She loved it, but unless the course was different every few runs I guess she didn't find it challenging. I was in class with some people who had dogs that just didn't 'get it' so needed 10 runs to get it right.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hartagold AmStaffs » March 7th, 2006, 3:39 pm

mnp13 wrote:The training was boring. In class we did the runs over and over and over and over. After the second or third run she would zoomie all over the place and play keep away. She loved it, but unless the course was different every few runs I guess she didn't find it challenging. I was in class with some people who had dogs that just didn't 'get it' so needed 10 runs to get it right.

This was a beginning class? That's probably the problem..... if you're in a good class, you are barely even starting obstacles by the end of the first set. Obstacles are the easy part, the handling is what they have to learn. During the first set, they should be learning contacts, target training, body language, etc. Getting the zoomies is an indication of stress or confusion or frustration at not knowing what you want.

Once we do start doing obstacles, it is one at a time - sequences don't even start till the second set of classes or the end of the first set. When doing individual obstacles, each one is done handling from each side, then sending the dog ahead of you, calling it to you, then doing lateral distance from each thing- so they learn to take an obstacle no matter where you are. Then you do the same thing with two obstacles. There's no time to get bored, because you are changing the exercise each time, and making them think about what you want.

Find another class where the instructors have MACHs on different breeds (not just border collies lol) and attend seminars to keep current with new methods, and I'm sure Ruby will enjoy it!
Hartagold AmStaffs
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Nope, intermediate. She was waaaaay bored in beginner. The beginner class was 'sit your dog, go to the other side of the jump, call your dog' etc etc etc. Her OB was a light year ahead of the other people in the class, most of whom had to work 100% on leash because their dog wouldn't listen to a thing they said.

She listened fine through the first few runs in intermediate, then it was 'see ya mom'.

Her targeting stunk though, I'll give you that.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lluksa » March 7th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Bubba and I have done Rally. He has earned his novice title in AKC and APDT. It is alot of fun. There is an APDT Rally-O and AKC obedience match show this weekend in Freehold being given by Pawsable K9's that is open to all dogs.

Here is a list of all the station signs in Rally...
http://www.rallyobedience.com/RallyChart-AKC.htm
Lisa

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" Franklin D. Roosevelt
lluksa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 7:09 pm

I'm assuming that you give the dog verbal or hand commands the entire time? Are you penalized for multiple commands?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lluksa » March 7th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Unlimited communication between dog and handler is encouraged. Scoring is not as tough as in traditional obedience, however, I did find APDT rally to be a bit more challenging.
Lisa

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" Franklin D. Roosevelt
lluksa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 7:42 pm

lluksa wrote:Unlimited communication between dog and handler is encouraged.

does that transplate to "jabber constantly to your dog"?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lluksa » March 7th, 2006, 8:13 pm

mnp13 wrote:does that transplate to "jabber constantly to your dog"?

If you felt the need to :)
Here are a couple of pics of Bubba and I at an APDT Rally trial last summer...

And some of his ribbons :)

Lisa

lluksa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 7th, 2006, 8:46 pm

He's so freaking CUTE!!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SisMorphine » March 7th, 2006, 8:48 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:He's so freaking CUTE!!!!

Agreed. A whole lot of adorable in a tiny package!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 9:27 pm

He is very cute.

What are the ribbons for? Did he win? Earn legs on his title? get his title?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lluksa » March 8th, 2006, 2:38 pm

mnp13 wrote:He is very cute.

What are the ribbons for? Did he win? Earn legs on his title? get his title?

Thanks! At this particular trial he earned the last two legs for his novice title, with one third place...out of about 30 or so dogs entered.
Lisa

lluksa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Pitcrew » March 8th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Michelle, I have a book on rally-o you can check out if you make it out on saturday. Read it while you wait to test (TT).
You can talk to your dog and encourage him (as you would in real-life or training) but constant chatter and stuff percieved as multiple commands loses points.

Too bad you dont live closer. You would definitely like Dee's classes. No bored dogs or not having fun there! They kind-of specialize in "non-agility" breeds. Her students do very well in trials too.They are NOT one-size-fits-all trainers and they dont repeat exercises more than 2-3 times. If someone needs a little extra time on something they get help on seperate equiptment so they dont hold up the other dogs.
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 8th, 2006, 10:51 pm

Dee Bramble? She is awesome! You would do really well to go up there, she has cattle dogs, which take the patient of a freaking saint! Her sister Jill has very talanted Staffies, they are really really cute!

Jen
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Lisa wrote:Michelle, I have a book on rally-o you can check out if you make it out on saturday. Read it while you wait to test (TT).

We'll be there, and I will definately take a look, thanks!

I think Ruby would really enjoy that, since it's not precision and she doesn't have to follow all those annoying rules.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby maberi » November 7th, 2007, 3:45 pm

Michelle, did you take this Rally class at DOTCORNY? I was thinking of enrolling Earl in one of the classes just for something to do. Was it worth it?

On March 08 2006, mnp13 wrote:
Lisa wrote:Michelle, I have a book on rally-o you can check out if you make it out on saturday. Read it while you wait to test (TT).

We'll be there, and I will definately take a look, thanks!

I think Ruby would really enjoy that, since it's not precision and she doesn't have to follow all those annoying rules.
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Next

Return to Sports