Dog toys

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 2:20 pm

I need a really sturdy bone that I can give Riggs in his crate to keep him amused. The really hard nylabones have lasted for Connor, but I was wondering about people's experiences with other toys?

Of course, he prefers real bones, but he goes through the largest that I have in under an hour.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 7th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Go the butcher & get a leg bone, have them cut it in a couple of pieces for you. Getting the marrow out of it will keep him occupied for a while. Once he does that you can jam it full of peanut butter & freeze it. Recycle!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 2:49 pm

He ate the last one I gave him. Like ate it to gone. It was the head of a veal femur.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » March 7th, 2006, 3:08 pm

maybe try for a bigger cow??? holy smokes...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 7th, 2006, 3:12 pm

bumper off of a '57 chevy??? :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby JCleve86 » March 7th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Eeesh. My only suggestions for toys would probably be eaten in ten seconds flat by Riggs, only to get lodged in his guts and cost you an expensive vet trip!

Maybe a used tire? (Motorcycle? Lawn Mower? Tank?) I've heard that Buster Cubes are pretty durable, but I don't know how fun it would be if he couldn't roll it around (crate size?). Errrmmmm...
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 4:23 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:bumper off of a '57 chevy??? :|

will it fit in his crate?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby concreterose » March 7th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Since veal is from a pretty young animal, the bones will probably be softer. Try a weight bearing bone from a cow.
What did they give him to occupy him at his former home?
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 5:44 pm

a kennel. :)

I'm trying to keep him occupied since he is currently in his crate a lot of the time right now. I think I have a few cow bones in my freezer, but I'm pretty sure they are mixed in with the veal. I gave Ruby ribs last week, she didn't shatter them this time, she knawed them down from the end like a carrot. :shock:

I've seen galaleo bones in the store, has anyone ever tried one?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » March 7th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Have you tried Large Cow Knuckles?

I think that's what they are called.

My friend's fat head German Rottie is a monster chewer, and it took him about 4-5 days to finish it.

At night the dog is tied to my friends bed until his helper arrives in the AM, and that's the toy he's given, so that's a pretty decent life span for it.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Miakoda » March 7th, 2006, 5:48 pm

We've tried the Gallileo bones. While they held up better than the regular large Nylabones, by the end of the day, we had shreds of it everywhere. Plus Chipper, who's our most non-stop chewer, seemed to swallow a lot of the tiny shreds which I did not like.

I'm sorry. It's a shame the kennel will not accomodate a bumper from a '57 Chevy. But what about a Geo Metro?Image
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jesseca » March 7th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Sorry Michelle I don't have any ideas for you either, but post a picture Riggs with his giant bone when you find one for him. :D
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 7th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Evidently you've seen him do bitework... oh... :oops: :fastRoll:

I'm going to dig through my chest freezer and see if I can find a cow bone.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Sue » March 7th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Galileo bones have held up pretty well in our house... They have had the same 2 for over a year with relatively little wear.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby Jesseca » March 7th, 2006, 6:03 pm

mnp13 wrote:Evidently you've seen him do bitework... oh... :oops: :fastRoll:

I'm going to dig through my chest freezer and see if I can find a cow bone.

Yes I did see that picture!! :ROFL2:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » March 8th, 2006, 9:23 pm

I found a nyla bone with round knoted ends. That one seems to be holding up better for my pup. I think since it has big knoted rounded ends it is not as easy to chew up.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 8th, 2006, 9:28 pm

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... 2001&Nty=1

These are nylabone "Durables" and are supposed to be shatterproof and virtually indestructable. They're new and the only place I've found them is at Drs. Foster and Smith.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » March 8th, 2006, 9:30 pm

what about a moose bone? or buffalo?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » March 8th, 2006, 9:48 pm

I had Nylabones,and it didn't worked for my dogs,it wasn't enough strong for them...I think the Kong is a good toy for dogs,and you can stuff it with peanut butter,cheese etc.It keeps them busy.It might be a little bit expensive,but it's working!!And that's what we need :mrgreen: Good luck!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 8th, 2006, 11:32 pm

Where can I get a moose bone?

I ended up getting him the new nylabone that is in the shape of a turkey leg. It's made of the same material as the galaleo bone but is flavored. He hasn't touched it. :rolleyes2:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk