now entering the ring....

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby Romanwild » March 5th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Thanks for the breeding lesson.

No one has said anything about breeding him. Just working. :|

I got the feeling there is a little baiting and/or something personal going on here. If that's the case it can stop now.

As I mentioned, Michelle knows what it takes to breed responsibly IF she decides to breed. I'm positive his heart and anything else there is a test for would be done.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2006, 4:52 pm

odnarb wrote:In this case, we have a dog with a littermate with two sperate heart defects. The top side of his pedigree is Harold Card's severely inbred Tacoma stuff, the bottom side is AKC Sierra show dogs. An extremely strange outcross choice, IMO.

Actually the reason for that breeding makes a lot of sense. Instead of judging it, why don't you just ask?

odnarb wrote:There is a hell of a lot more to breeding than tossing together two dogs that you think are nice, and that isn't something that everybody thinks about first.

Why don't you start by telling me exactly who thinks that breeding is just "tossing together two dogs"?

Actually, let's back right up: I have had the dog for a total of FIVE days. I am a loooooooong way from even considering the thought of maybe breeding him. You and Karen are acting like I have a female in heat in the back yard wating for him.

Riggs is a healthy, happy boy. Right now my only plans for him are to train him and have a good time doing it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 5th, 2006, 4:58 pm

I doubt Michelle brought this dog into her home with the intention of breeding him. She was given this dog as a working dog. She intends to do just that. IF she ever does think about breeding him ( which she has not mentioned at ALL) I am positive ALL health testing AND titleing will be done before the decision is made. I'd like to know why the question of breeding him even is being broguht up. Does everyone who has an unaltered Am Staff do so with the intention of breeding?

I find it kind of funny that a couple of years ago, a certain snotty teenager aquired several APBT puppies & an adult that remain unaltered ( the ones she has not dumped back on her breeder anyway). When the question of HER breeding these dogs ( which I still believe she will be doing) Aimee jumped to her defense, now that Michelle has an unaltered dog the tables have turned & she is being quesioned about her intent. WTF is that all about? :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Actually, let's back right up: I have had the dog for a total of FIVE days. I am a loooooooong way from even considering the thought of maybe breeding him. You and Karen are acting like I have a female in heat in the back yard wating for him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really? It happens to be a question I ask many people who get intact older dogs. You have no plans on breeding him. Fine. What happens when people start asking you about using him as a stud? What then? Now is the time to start thinking about things like that unless you plan on neutering him after he CH.

As I said you're not getting asked anything different than I ask a ton of people. The answers vary and are always interesting.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby ellie@ny » March 5th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Hey Michelle!Do you wanna make some puppies???? :wink: :wink: :wink:
My girl is in heat,let's do it!!!!! :elephant:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 5:05 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I doubt Michelle brought this dog into her home with the intention of breeding him. She was given this dog as a working dog. She intends to do just that. IF she ever does think about breeding him ( which she has not mentioned at ALL) I am positive ALL health testing AND titleing will be done before the decision is made. I'd like to know why the question of breeding him even is being broguht up. Does everyone who has an unaltered Am Staff do so with the intention of breeding?

In my experience? 95% do. That's a simple fact. I've also seen people get a dog with the best intentions and then get distracted and veer away from their original intent.

cheekymunkee wrote:I find it kind of funny that a couple of years ago, a certain snotty teenager aquired several APBT puppies & an adult that remain unaltered ( the ones she has not dumped back on her breeder anyway). When the question of HER breeding these dogs ( which I still believe she will be doing) Aimee jumped to her defense, now that Michelle has an unaltered dog the tables have turned & she is being quesioned about her intent. WTF is that all about? :|

Want to enlighten me? Who would this be? I seem to have missed that one for some unknown reason.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby odnarb » March 5th, 2006, 5:08 pm

mnp13 wrote:Actually the reason for that breeding makes a lot of sense. Instead of judging it, why don't you just ask?

I did ask once in the past, and got no answer. A Tacoma/Sierra cross seems extremely peculiar to me. I persoanlly think that both Harold's dogs and the Sierra dogs are overdone, so it seems like a very strange combo if it was working dogs that were the desired result. It's also a weird outcross if the goal is to preserve the Tacoma line, as you are getting a long ways away from type. The only thing I could come up with was to make Harold's strain of Tacoma dogs a bit prettier, while keeping the very bully look. But, that isn't the style of Harold or Chris. Therefore, I'm stumped!

I personally love the Tacoma dogs, and would like to see them return in all their former glory. When that happens, I'll be standing in line for a dog.

Why don't you start by telling me exactly who thinks that breeding is just "tossing together two dogs"?

Look around the breed. That's what most of them think. How often do you see actual plans with uniform type? Not often at all. The vast majority of what is out there is scatterbred dogs with only short term goals in mind. It typically fits the plan, as most breeders are in and out in 5-10 years. But, it's not what is best for the breed. Most of today's big shots will be gone in a few years. The Pascoes, Greys, Harpers, Boudreauxes, Sorrells, etc, are the exception, and not the norm.

Actually, Chris and Karen were discussing breeding the dog. I don't think you will breed the dog at all, just from what you have shared your beliefs to be in the past. My post was to Chris, not you.

Riggs is a healthy, happy boy. Right now my only plans for him are to train him and have a good time doing it.

I hope he exceeds all your expectations :)
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby odnarb » March 5th, 2006, 5:10 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I find it kind of funny that a couple of years ago, a certain snotty teenager aquired several APBT puppies & an adult that remain unaltered ( the ones she has not dumped back on her breeder anyway). When the question of HER breeding these dogs ( which I still believe she will be doing) Aimee jumped to her defense, now that Michelle has an unaltered dog the tables have turned & she is being quesioned about her intent. WTF is that all about? :|

I was wrong. I thought that girl had potential. And, I think she did. But, she fell in with a bad crowd of rednose puppy peddlers.

What can you do? :|
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 5th, 2006, 5:11 pm

You don't remember JaquelineC? I certainly do and so do many others.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 5:12 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:You don't remember JaquelineC? I certainly do and so do many others.

EWWWWW I was there with the pitch I think you had the torch, right?
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » March 5th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Karen wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:You don't remember JaquelineC? I certainly do and so do many others.

EWWWWW I was there with the pitch I think you had the torch, right?

Yes ma'am and it is still burning! :explode: :fire:

Well, I have to go spend money, ya'll be good now.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby odnarb » March 5th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Karen wrote:Really? It happens to be a question I ask many people who get intact older dogs. You have no plans on breeding him. Fine. What happens when people start asking you about using him as a stud? What then? Now is the time to start thinking about things like that unless you plan on neutering him after he CH.

This is very true. I started getting stud inquiries on Grant when he was 11weeks old!!!!!

People will ask you, it's inevitable.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2006, 5:16 pm

ellie@ny wrote:Hey Michelle!Do you wanna make some puppies???? :wink: :wink: :wink:
My girl is in heat,let's do it!!!!! :elephant:

YEAH! let's do it! I showed Rigs that sexy underwear picture and he's all ready for a hot date!

:rolleyes2:

Really? It happens to be a question I ask many people who get intact older dogs. You have no plans on breeding him. Fine. What happens when people start asking you about using him as a stud? What then? Now is the time to start thinking about things like that unless you plan on neutering him after he CH.

Hmmmm.... let's see..... when people ask me about using him as a stud I will use this GREAT little word that I know... you ready? No
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 5:20 pm

Hmmmm.... let's see..... when people ask me about using him as a stud I will use this GREAT little word that I know... you ready? No

Know what? That was always my answer too. Know what happened? His co owner (not my idea long story off topic old history) and breeder started booking dates for the freakazoid. She had to use her own dog to fill the quota. So been there done that won't do it again. Nothing with balls and 4 legs in this house again. Co owns either for that matter.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Here, we can end this vien of discussion right now.

I have lived in my home for 4 years. I have two holes in my dining room wall because I have not put sconces up yet. that's four years with wires hanging out of junction boxes. Why? Because I haven't found just the right sconces to match the chandelier.

Now, if it has taken me FOUR YEARS to find LIGHTS that meet my expectations, why on earth would anyone think I would just jump in and breed my dog to the first dog in heat we came across?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby ellie@ny » March 5th, 2006, 5:24 pm

mnp13 wrote:Riggs and Michelle :o

Yes, you read that right. Psycho energy boy is also a show dog.

Tips? Pointers? A book or two that I should pick up?

Any help would be appreciated!

Michelle

Just to reminding everybody what was the original post.... :?
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby odnarb » March 5th, 2006, 5:27 pm

Karen wrote:Know what? That was always my answer too. Know what happened? His co owner (not my idea long story off topic old history) and breeder started booking dates for the freakazoid. She had to use her own dog to fill the quota. So been there done that won't do it again. Nothing with balls and 4 legs in this house again. Co owns either for that matter.

I'd do both again. You just have to be sure that you and the breeder have the same ethics and goals in mind. Trying to find somebody like that that has the dogs you like can be a chore, though. :o
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 5:27 pm

mnp13 wrote:Here, we can end this vien of discussion right now.

I have lived in my home for 4 years. I have two holes in my dining room wall because I have not put sconces up yet. that's four years with wires hanging out of junction boxes. Why? Because I haven't found just the right sconces to match the chandelier.

Now, if it has taken me FOUR YEARS to find LIGHTS that meet my expectations, why on earth would anyone think I would just jump in and breed my dog to the first dog in heat we came across?

Then you aren't looking in the right place. Try looking up a craft guild because the metalworkers in there do custom work. If a torchiere is desired next step is a glass blower keeping in mind that the colors you choose will be what are pulled into that room for like forever because the lights cost more than your whole dining room set.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby Karen » March 5th, 2006, 5:28 pm

odnarb wrote:
Karen wrote:Know what? That was always my answer too. Know what happened? His co owner (not my idea long story off topic old history) and breeder started booking dates for the freakazoid. She had to use her own dog to fill the quota. So been there done that won't do it again. Nothing with balls and 4 legs in this house again. Co owns either for that matter.

I'd do both again. You just have to be sure that you and the breeder have the same ethics and goals in mind. Trying to find somebody like that that has the dogs you like can be a chore, though. :o

You just like boy dogs. Yuck.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby odnarb » March 5th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Karen wrote:You just like boy dogs. Yuck.

I just don't like bitches in heat! Double yuck!
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
odnarb
Loyally Bully

PreviousNext

Return to Conformation