Freecycle!!!!!!!

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby msvette2u » March 4th, 2006, 8:10 pm

CinderDee wrote:Here's a link to the Marineland site. If you'll look on the left, there's a place to enter your zip code and find the closest retailer that carries BioSpira.
http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ml_biospira.asp

Bear in mind that comets and Goldies need 10 gallons per fish and are very high waste. They are best kept in a species tank.

Have fun!

Our trip to town was way lame. Both stores had HEARD of BioSpira, only "usually" carries it but didn't have it then. So we bought some plants instead :(
We purchased some swords, not sure if they are amazons or not. We got a couple of strange looking plants, sword like but not quite swords, in the pots with the material. I am hoping that's going to be enough bacteria??
We got them at Petsmart and there was a snail in one of the tanks, and they all share the water. ANYway. That's the long and short of it. We got the test kit and the Prime.
Now what?? The plants are in the water...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 4th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Yvette,

I don't really agree with using plants for cycling theory. You need an ammonia source. You can use actual ammonia or fish food, if you like.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2006, 9:54 pm

I used feeder fish to start my tanks. Spend $5 on a dozen fish and leave the tank alone for two weeks. It gets all cloudy, then clears up and if the fish die, who cares? If they live, even better!!!

I has a 23 inch clown knife in my last tank. He was really cool.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby CinderDee » March 4th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Feeder fish are notorious for carrying disease. I wouldn't do it. It's just easier to get seeded media or BioSpira, then you're not stuck with fish you don't want.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby msvette2u » March 4th, 2006, 10:06 pm

We got ammonia. Don't the plants have enough bacteria?? :( Nobody has the biospira. Nobody HERE...I guess I could try Yakima. I'll check the storefinder thing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 4th, 2006, 10:09 pm

OK Some of the stores listed did not have it. I'll make some calls tomorrow before going anywhere...LOL Since they are all around 30-45 miles from us!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 5th, 2006, 12:48 am

Yvette, if you get the BioSpira, you certainly can add fish if you like, just don't stock the tank to capacity.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby msvette2u » March 5th, 2006, 1:52 am

We got some more plants from established aquariums, and we'll do the fishless cycle for now. If we can find Biospira tomorrow, we will get some...I didn't expect it would be so difficult to find. I'm definately calling around since we went to two stores today and never found it :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 5th, 2006, 1:55 am

If you're going to cycle without fish, why not just use the ammonia or fish food and the plants?
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby msvette2u » March 5th, 2006, 11:23 am

That's what we're doing, since we can't find it in this area.
I was still hoping to find the Biospira and hurry the process. If we find it can we change/hurry the process with it and stop with the plants/ammonia method?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 5th, 2006, 2:05 pm

CinderDee wrote:Feeder fish are notorious for carrying disease. I wouldn't do it. It's just easier to get seeded media or BioSpira, then you're not stuck with fish you don't want.

Most pet stores use one water source for all of their tanks, including feeder fish. What one tank has they all have.

Even if you don't do feeders, get a dozen cheap fish and toss them in. :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby CinderDee » March 5th, 2006, 2:22 pm

msvette2u wrote:That's what we're doing, since we can't find it in this area.
I was still hoping to find the Biospira and hurry the process. If we find it can we change/hurry the process with it and stop with the plants/ammonia method?

Yes, you sure can. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby msvette2u » March 5th, 2006, 3:29 pm

I got up and have laryngitis and feel pretty cruddy so it'll have to wait until Monday anyway. Or Tuesday LOL
We'll add more ammonia today:)
ETA: I have called within a 50 mile radius and nobody except nobody carries biospira. Some have heard of it. LOL
msvette2u
I live here

Previous

Return to Off-Topic