need some help

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby babyreba » March 4th, 2006, 9:17 am

oh my god, what a mess. i wonder how this poor dog managed to make it in that shelter, where they probably fed him crap food and didn't do anything to ease his discomfort. he must have been absolutely miserable.

personally, i'd probably start out with one small, bland meal of boiled chicken mixed with a bit of brown rice and see how that sits. if it doesnt' set him off, then i'd stick to it for a couple of days and see what happens. i know dogs can be allergic to pretty much anything, but hopefully he'll be able to tolerate a simple meal of chicken and rice. :(
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby ccc2006 » March 4th, 2006, 9:25 am

babyreba wrote:oh my god, what a mess. i wonder how this poor dog managed to make it in that shelter, where they probably fed him crap food and didn't do anything to ease his discomfort. he must have been absolutely miserable.

personally, i'd probably start out with one small, bland meal of boiled chicken mixed with a bit of brown rice and see how that sits. if it doesnt' set him off, then i'd stick to it for a couple of days and see what happens. i know dogs can be allergic to pretty much anything, but hopefully he'll be able to tolerate a simple meal of chicken and rice. :(

I know, I can't imagine his suffering that he endured at that shelter. I know his appearance upon entry was absolutely disgusting.
I'll have my hubby bring home some chicken and I'll go out to get some brown rice. Hey it would be nice if he could tolerate chicken, since we own a poultry business! LOL My luck he wouldn't be able to. Sheesh.
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » March 4th, 2006, 9:26 am

if he cant handle the chicken have steve bring home turkey....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ccc2006 » March 4th, 2006, 10:39 am

Maryellen wrote:if he cant handle the chicken have steve bring home turkey....

I thought Turkey was the thing most dogs have a problem with. Is that true?
I could get Turkey no problem...
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby concreterose » March 4th, 2006, 2:29 pm

ccc2006 wrote:

Turkey is fine! :)
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 4th, 2006, 2:41 pm

My friend has a pit with megaesophogus (spelling is not my strong point). She tends to puke when she eats or drinks too fast (and she also have a GAZILLION allergies, I didn't read all the way through the thread, but I would also suggest having an allergy pannel done). How much water does he take in? Does he guzzle it fast? I would try a few days of not leaving water down, but rather having scheduled water times and only filling the bottom of the bowl. When he is done drinking stand him upright and "burp" him. See if that helps at all. Doing that with the water, in addition to figuring out all of the dog's allergies, has helped my friend have a much happier, and healthier pit bull in her home.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ccc2006 » March 4th, 2006, 5:04 pm

SisMorphine wrote:My friend has a pit with megaesophogus (spelling is not my strong point). She tends to puke when she eats or drinks too fast (and she also have a GAZILLION allergies, I didn't read all the way through the thread, but I would also suggest having an allergy pannel done). How much water does he take in? Does he guzzle it fast? I would try a few days of not leaving water down, but rather having scheduled water times and only filling the bottom of the bowl. When he is done drinking stand him upright and "burp" him. See if that helps at all. Doing that with the water, in addition to figuring out all of the dog's allergies, has helped my friend have a much happier, and healthier pit bull in her home.

The vet and I both thought it was megaesophagus when I initially brought him in. But they ruled that out when they ran the tests. Water really isn't a contributing factor for him - I've done both: free access and also scheduled water times. He'll just either upchuck lots of water or not alot - but he's still doing it anyway. Very frustrating.
I'm cooking chicken right now and some rice, for the allergy part of it, just to figure out what works for him. The regurgitation is another story...and the most serious of this situation. I'll be calling the vet again on Monday, but I know they are just going to say exploratory surgery. If that's going to be the case, we don't have many options left. Rescue does not have that kind of money and neither do I.
Thanks for your advice though. I really wish it was m/e, then I'd know what the heck is going on.
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby ccc2006 » March 4th, 2006, 5:05 pm

concreterose wrote:
ccc2006 wrote:

Turkey is fine! :)

okee dokee! I'll try that next. Got the chicken on the burner right now :)
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 4th, 2006, 5:25 pm

beef is a very common allergen for sure.

I would also do the bland diet.

Do you know what was in the Gastro food they fed at the Vet? That'd help you eliminate some of the things he might be allergic too (since you already know he was allergic to at least one of them)

My own dog (an APBT) has allergies wich we have been trying to solve for almost his entire life, lately they have been getting worse and more frequent in the outbreaks and we cannot figure out why.
I understand completely how frusterating it is.

If you are going to wait and raise money, keep a close eye on him and take him in immediately for unusual behavior. It is my understanding that GI blockages and complications of, etc, can get very severe very fast.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ccc2006 » March 4th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Malli wrote:beef is a very common allergen for sure.

I would also do the bland diet.

Do you know what was in the Gastro food they fed at the Vet? That'd help you eliminate some of the things he might be allergic too (since you already know he was allergic to at least one of them)

My own dog (an APBT) has allergies wich we have been trying to solve for almost his entire life, lately they have been getting worse and more frequent in the outbreaks and we cannot figure out why.
I understand completely how frusterating it is.

If you are going to wait and raise money, keep a close eye on him and take him in immediately for unusual behavior. It is my understanding that GI blockages and complications of, etc, can get very severe very fast.

Malli

Very frustrating indeed. I'm sorry you have to go through this too. The allergies are one thing, but this GI thing is a completely different story. If I can't fix it, then we're in trouble. We will definately try to raise the money, but you're right - things can get bad real quick and then what to do.
I will definately be finding out from the vets what food he was on there - they do feed either Hundenflocken or Science Diet, but maybe they fed something entirely different with him.
ccc2006
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Malli » March 5th, 2006, 2:22 pm

there are TONS of prescription diets in those brands with totally different ingredients too, I think? At least thats usually the way it works...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health