Electricity Safety Question

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby odnarb » March 4th, 2006, 3:51 am

I'll use cell phone outlet chargers as an example...

Is it unsafe to leave the charger plugged in when the charger itself is not plugged into the phone (or whatever rechargeable item it goes to).

Is this a fire hazard? I'm a worrywort :shock:
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby bullymommy » March 4th, 2006, 5:07 am

i keep my charger plugged in 24/7 unless i need the outlet! :|
bullymommy
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Purple » March 4th, 2006, 9:55 am

My husband is an industrial/commercial electrician (and now a general contractor!). He said it won't hurt anything, but he wouldn't advise doing it, as they do get warm. Not a fire hazard, but why would you want to leave it plugged in, as it will draw electricity the whole time it is plugged in. ($)
The little black box is a transformer that changes the 120 volts from the outlet to 9-12 volts, maybe, so the shock you could get is minimal.
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2006, 12:50 pm

What Purple said.

In addition, they can overheat and then you need to get a new one. that happened to me with a propritary plug - $60 bucks to replace it. :x
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 4th, 2006, 1:03 pm

I just unplugged mine. I keep it plugged in so I won't lose it. BUT as high as my electric bill has been I am doing all I can to conserve. I replaced ALL the bulbs in my house with the LEF bulbs. I haven't received my new bill yet to see if they have helped any. Does anyone else use them? Have they lowered your bill?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pLaurent » March 4th, 2006, 2:11 pm

as it will draw electricity the whole time it is plugged in. ($)

I never thought about that! Just unplugged mine too. Thanks!!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 4th, 2006, 2:35 pm

cheekymunkee wrote: I replaced ALL the bulbs in my house with the LEF bulbs. I haven't received my new bill yet to see if they have helped any. Does anyone else use them? Have they lowered your bill?

I only have one in my house, it has been on for two years straight and has not burned out yet. I don't know about a difference in electric bills, mine are all over the place every month.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Off-Topic