Satin Balls

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 12:59 pm

does anyone have the recipe for them?

I know they have a few pounds of meat, wheaties, and that's all I can remember...
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 1:22 pm

5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
Roll into balls no larger than 1 inch diameter.
Divide into at least 6 separate containers or bags. Freeze. Thaw as needed for feeding.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 1:40 pm

have you ever fed them? someone was talking about them this past weekend.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 1:55 pm

No, I don't like fat dogs. :|

If you need to put weight quickly on a dog they work well.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 2:22 pm

oh, I didn't know it was a weight gain food.

our dogs are doing fine on Merrick, I was just curious.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » March 3rd, 2006, 2:31 pm

Yes they are primarily a weight gain item, however, I have used them with dogs that have a high Metabolism.

Weda is one like this, although I've been lucky enough that just adding some 4% fat cottage cheese to her kibble made up for it. Instead of having to go full fledged satin balls.

It's something good to keep around for showing as well.

I knew people who would show their dog at a very toned weight, but a couple weeks later would want to show the dog with a couple more pounds, and would use the satin balls to get the weight up quickly.

Not something for every day, but a good item to keep for certain occasions.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 3rd, 2006, 5:46 pm

We use Satin Balls in the Grey rescue to put weight on Greys that are straight off the track. They work wonders.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pocketpit » March 3rd, 2006, 9:06 pm

I used to feed them daily to my first SBT who was a nortoriously poor eater. She was picky but would refuse to eat anything when on the road so showing her was a pain in the butt. They put weight on her right away and I was able to maintain her nicely by supplementing her regular diet with them.
They are very high in fat content and anyone feeding them should start off slowly as they can cause some really nasty diarrhea :puke:
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » March 3rd, 2006, 11:03 pm

Wow!I never heard about this!So how much you have to give daily?I mean how many balls,and after regular feeding?Like a 50 pound dog can have how much? :| Help!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby pocketpit » March 4th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Depends on the individual dog. I fed my SBT 1/2 a ball or one small ball a day with her meal and when we were on the road showing I fed an entire large sized ball. You can make the balls as big or as little as you need them then freeze them. I'd pull one out of the freezer and feed or thaw it slightly (Reba preferred them thawed). I never weighed them so I don't know how much she was actually eating. :|
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » March 4th, 2006, 7:36 pm

So did you made an 1" diameter balls usually?So then that will be ok if I give to the 50 pound dog 1" ball/day+her food?Mayabutt is picky some days,that's why I try to give her something extra...
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health