now entering the ring....

For those of us that show or want to show our dogs.

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 10:02 am

Riggs and Michelle :o

Yes, you read that right. Psycho energy boy is also a show dog.

Tips? Pointers? A book or two that I should pick up?

Any help would be appreciated!

Michelle
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 10:07 am

George Alstons book "The winning edge".

My kennel club is having him back in September for his 2 day seminar. If you're going to show this is the guy I would go with. Awesome. You guys can can stay with me.

I watched the Westminster show and his standards are higher then the handlers that I saw.

but you're still not going to beat me with that cur. :wink:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 10:19 am

Romanwild wrote:but you're still not going to beat me with that cur. :wink:

Uh... yeah...

My triple registered cur. :rolleyes2:

We are soooo taking you down. Well, maybe... I'll have to perfect my prancy show ring run. Maybe you can help me with that? :twisted:
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 10:33 am

Dreyfus is dual registered and would be AKC as well but some idiot byb didn't send in the paperwork!

I'm the best prancer around! lol
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 10:36 am

Romanwild wrote:Dreyfus is dual registered and would be AKC as well but some idiot byb didn't send in the paperwork!

well, you see, MY dog didn't come from a BYB so there. :neener:
Romanwild wrote:I'm the best prancer around! lol

and we are all surprised by that! :D
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 10:43 am

So the parents were health tested?

I could be wrong but You'll do better in the UKC then AKC or ADBA. Just like me. Dreyfus doesn't even qualify for AKC because his nose is blue! I think they have a problem with his eye color as well. As far as I can tell you need a fawn black nose if you want to get any where in the AKC.

The reason I wish I was AKC is that I could compete more often without traveling.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 10:49 am

Romanwild wrote:So the parents were health tested?

yup.

oh, I forgot about that nose color stuff. :rolleyes2:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » March 3rd, 2006, 11:29 am

:jerry:
Purple
I live here

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 11:31 am

I'm not that competitive. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 3rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

Is anyone having flashbacks to Parker Posey in "Best in Show"??
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » March 3rd, 2006, 12:53 pm

you also have to wear a long skirt too and get all dressed up.... and practice running like the people do....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2006, 1:02 pm

lovely....

makeup and a skirt. how exciting. well, I suppose being a girl a few times a year won't kill me.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 1:20 pm

UKC and ADBA are more relaxed then AKC.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 3rd, 2006, 2:18 pm

I don't think ADBA cares what you wear. I have seen people in shorts show dogs in ADBA. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby odnarb » March 3rd, 2006, 5:22 pm

Romanwild wrote:I could be wrong but You'll do better in the UKC then AKC or ADBA. Just like me. Dreyfus doesn't even qualify for AKC because his nose is blue! I think they have a problem with his eye color as well. As far as I can tell you need a fawn black nose if you want to get any where in the AKC.

Well, not really.

Grant's littermate finished from Bred-By class with no problems, and she took a BIG BOS win at a supported entry show the day after the STCA Nationals in 2003. She's an AKC/UKC CH, and has 4 legs on her UKC GrCh.

And, she's just as blue as Dreyfus...

Yo Michelle, got a pedigree on that beast?
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 3rd, 2006, 6:28 pm

Doodle is just one of many blue AKC CHs. I just love here heheh of course she is Samurai and Sock-M aunt too hehehe
Blue dogs finish in AKC all the time. It depends on the quality of the dog first off, then the judge as some go strictly by the standard and in other cases the handler who is taking the dog into the ring

Are you going to show in UKC??? ADBA??? AKC or all of them.

I've seen plenty at UKC shows in eans and even in sweats, but also some dress for success. LOL. The judges are not supposed to be looking at the handler IMO but I'm sure some do

UKC is a lot of fun.

I've only shown at one ADBA show and honestly I didn't like it, but that was years and years ago so maybe it has changed some.

UKC and ADBA make sure you have a thin show collar and lead to show the dog

In ADBA they show on regular 4 ft leads and buckle collars

Start teaching the dog to stack and have people go over him from head to balls LOL. Yup they check there too. practoice showing his bits and have other people do it as well.

Teach a free stack

Practice the gait

learn what these are in the ring:
a triangle
a down and back
diagonal

learn your dogs faults and good points so that you can show off to the assets in the ring
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » March 3rd, 2006, 6:50 pm

therese, you are probably going to have to help michelle with all that ring talk. heck i am totally lost with it.. maybe if you send samurai here to me you can help michelle better??? ooooh, how about doing a thread in here on how to stack, etc, all the stuff you want michelle to do? this way we can all learn???
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » March 3rd, 2006, 7:01 pm

Here is a link to a George Alston sem. first hour....Of course it's all talk,no action,but has good points!I was at his sem. too,he's great,worth the money!!!!! :)

http://www.iamscompanybreeders.com/bronline/en_US/jhtmls/online_seminars/BO_Online_Seminars_Page.jhtml?li=en_US&pti=OS&sc=D

And if you have a chance go to a handling class with the dog,for simple practice,and socialization!!!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby ellie@ny » March 3rd, 2006, 7:30 pm

" Dreyfus doesn't even qualify for AKC "-don't say that!There are soooo many blues out there lately,and some with light eyes!
"I'm not that competitive."-YOU HAVE TO!!!!!
"I watched the Westminster show and his standards are higher then the handlers that I saw. "-That is sooo true!What is George says about the competition?You can beat any dogs,It's about how you present your dog!
Now go out with your dogs,and show them!!!! :D
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Romanwild » March 3rd, 2006, 7:55 pm

I guess the info I got was incorrect about the AKC but I did watch the Westminster show online this year and last. They were 99% fawn. :|

I'm a total newbie to showing but the stand command is a good one to teach. Besides the balls I hads sto spends some time on showing the bite as well.

Maryellen has a goods idea about a how to thread. Therese, you've written something on that in the past haven't you?
Romanwild
I live here

Next

Return to Conformation