Curious about different sports

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby WeLuvOurKids » July 13th, 2007, 3:24 pm

I was reading through a few of the threads and was wondering at what age/weight would it be safe to start with pulling and agility? I was also curious as to what are the best activities to get my pups involved in and if there's anything I could start them doing soon?

I don't want them to compete or anything, just something to have fun with and to challenge themselves.
Everyone tells us we're crazy, how risky we're being, and ask: "Is it really worth all the money, time, effort, and everything else for them? They're just dogs." To which we reply: "Of course it is, because they are not just dogs, they're family."
http://fightbsl.17.forumer.com
WeLuvOurKids
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » July 13th, 2007, 3:46 pm

On July 13 2007, 2:24 PM, WeLuvOurKids wrote:I was reading through a few of the threads and was wondering at what age/weight would it be safe to start with pulling and agility? I was also curious as to what are the best activities to get my pups involved in and if there's anything I could start them doing soon?

I don't want them to compete or anything, just something to have fun with and to challenge themselves.

I can only speak for agility, but to avoid joint issues later, I like to stay away from heavy agility (high jumps, etc) until the dog's bones have fully formed...so, close to a year old...I know you can start them earlier...but I've heard horror stories (from several breeds) about starting them off too early
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby WeLuvOurKids » July 13th, 2007, 4:07 pm

On July 13 2007, 2:46 PM, katiek0417 wrote:
On July 13 2007, 2:24 PM, WeLuvOurKids wrote:I was reading through a few of the threads and was wondering at what age/weight would it be safe to start with pulling and agility? I was also curious as to what are the best activities to get my pups involved in and if there's anything I could start them doing soon?

I can only speak for agility, but to avoid joint issues later, I like to stay away from heavy agility (high jumps, etc) until the dog's bones have fully formed...so, close to a year old...I know you can start them earlier...but I've heard horror stories (from several breeds) about starting them off too early

Wow, okay thanks for the heads up. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could get them started?
Everyone tells us we're crazy, how risky we're being, and ask: "Is it really worth all the money, time, effort, and everything else for them? They're just dogs." To which we reply: "Of course it is, because they are not just dogs, they're family."
WeLuvOurKids
Just Whelped

Postby lilabet » July 13th, 2007, 4:19 pm

Try to find a dog training facility in your area. Lots of them have agility classes. There are several agility venues that put on trials. If you look them up most have a listing of affiliated clubs. There may be a club in your area. Look up AKC (American Kennel Club), UKC (United Kennel Club), NADAC (North American Dog Agility Council), USDAA (United States Dog Agility Association), CPE (Canine Performance Events), and DOCNA (Dogs On Course in North America). Also Clean Run has a website, http://www.cleanrun.com, and a magazine devoted to agility.
lilabet
Just Whelped

Postby WeLuvOurKids » July 13th, 2007, 4:29 pm

On July 13 2007, 3:19 PM, lilabet wrote:Try to find a dog training facility in your area. Lots of them have agility classes. There are several agility venues that put on trials. If you look them up most have a listing of affiliated clubs. There may be a club in your area. Look up AKC (American Kennel Club), UKC (United Kennel Club), NADAC (North American Dog Agility Council), USDAA (United States Dog Agility Association), CPE (Canine Performance Events), and DOCNA (Dogs On Course in North America). Also Clean Run has a website, http://www.cleanrun.com, and a magazine devoted to agility.

Wow. Thank you very much, I'll be sure to get right on it and call around. Thanks again.
WeLuvOurKids
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » July 13th, 2007, 6:11 pm

You don't want to start any heavy pulling until the dog is fully grown, however, you can get them used to a harness and have them pull something noisy to get used to having something behind them, like a gallon jug with rocks in it.

I think Katrina is right about the jumps in agility, but it's never too early to start the low stuff - tunnel, weaves, table and a low dog walk or A frame.

All sports require obecience and that can start as soon as you bring your puppy home. when they are super young, just play "obedience games" to build a relationship with your dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » July 13th, 2007, 8:19 pm

On July 13 2007, 5:11 PM, mnp13 wrote:
I think Katrina is right about the jumps in agility, but it's never too early to start the low stuff - tunnel, weaves, table and a low dog walk or A frame.

Many puppies will actually jump off the A-frame...so, you can teach it, but you need to be very careful with it...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Beth » July 13th, 2007, 10:06 pm

On July 13 2007, 7:19 PM, katiek0417 wrote:

Many puppies will actually jump off the A-frame...so, you can teach it, but you need to be very careful with it...

I agree with being careful of the A-frame. I have seen and heard of many dogs jumping off them when first introduced to them.
Mom to
Blaze 3/17/93 - 3/30/07
Onyx b 3/7/99
Duchess b 3/12/02 r 9/18/02
Rifle b 12/1/02 r 8/8/03
Diamond b 5/3/05 a 8/3/05
Luka r 5/16/07
Dixie b 10/20/06 a 4/1/08
Beth
Enlightened Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 13th, 2007, 10:31 pm

On July 13 2007, 9:06 PM, Beth wrote:
On July 13 2007, 7:19 PM, katiek0417 wrote:

I agree with being careful of the A-frame. I have seen and heard of many dogs jumping off them when first introduced to them.

So, that just means Sacha is an idiot....she's 3, has done them 100's of times...and still jumps off of them...what a moron!!!! :wink:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby WeLuvOurKids » July 13th, 2007, 11:34 pm

On July 13 2007, 5:11 PM, mnp13 wrote:All sports require obedience and that can start as soon as you bring your puppy home. when they are super young, just play "obedience games" to build a relationship with your dog.

I'm sorry if this is a sorta obvious answer question, but like I've said, my girl friend and I are really new to this. What would be some examples of obedience games?
WeLuvOurKids
Just Whelped

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 14th, 2007, 7:39 am

All sports you do will have an obedience foundation

Actually with agility it can be started very young. You start with doing obedience for agility, body awareness games and intro to low equip. NO jumps at height they either do poles on the ground or very slightly elevated and also lower equipment heights for a frames and dog walks which will start on the ground as just planks and boards.

Dogs should not be jumping at height until at least a year but for me personally I would wait until 18 months to two years for full jump heights. At a year the pup is Still not fully developed and may be uncoordinated and lanky

I also think pups/dogs should have a health screening and OK from a vet to do most physical sports

here is a link to my on-line puppy/beginner agility class
http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3115

With weight pull though I don't compete ... no full out pulling of heavy weights until the dog is a year but better at 18 months to 2 years

You can start out though young getting just used to a harness and just drag it around then when the pup gets older gradually add a very very small bit of weight as the pup ages
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Sports