With whom to compete?

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby SisMorphine » May 22nd, 2007, 11:14 pm

Alright, so my places where I can compete with Athena are limited. I can't do any AKC or UKC events. I can still do ATTS, I know I can do CPE for agility, IWP for weight pull . . . but what other options are there for me? Is there any other group that has obedience trials other than UKC or AKC? Any that have therapy dog-esque competitions? I feel so limited with what I can do with her due to her breed. I'm frustrated . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby DemoDick » May 22nd, 2007, 11:24 pm

Don't rule out bitesports. Most offer obedience only titles. PSA and Sch. come immediately to mind. You can also do NADAC agility.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby SisMorphine » May 22nd, 2007, 11:26 pm

On May 22 2007, 10:24 PM, DemoDick wrote:Don't rule out bitesports. Most offer obedience only titles. PSA and Sch. come immediately to mind. You can also do NADAC agility.

Demo Dick

Oh good point. I'm still trying to find someone in my area to train for bitesport with . . . but I'm picky and so far no one stacks up :D

I didn't know that PSA offers obedience only titles. I'll have to look into that.

I also forgot about NADAC. They don't have as many trials around here as CPE but definitely a good thing to remember. Thanks!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby DemoDick » May 23rd, 2007, 12:10 am

I didn't know that PSA offers obedience only titles. I'll have to look into that.

The TC is essentially a PSA1 without the bitework. You just do your obedience routine and opt out of the rest of it.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby katiek0417 » May 23rd, 2007, 3:58 pm

On May 22 2007, 11:10 PM, DemoDick wrote:

The TC is essentially a PSA1 without the bitework. You just do your obedience routine and opt out of the rest of it.

Demo Dick

Most clubs will charge you less to register for only a TC...

Sis, unfortunately, our friend Ashley is having the same issue...She was traning with a ring guy, who she hated....we have another friend who does Sch up there....she isn't thrilled with the place where she is training, but said it's not totally awful....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby odnarb » May 30th, 2007, 10:52 am

The Australian Shepherd Club of America offers an ILP type program called Tracking Numbers to dogs of all
breeds and mixes to obtain performance titles. They do not need to be
spayed or neutered. They offer pretty much everything AKC does in
obedience, agility, and tracking. I believe their herding programs may
be open to other breeds as well.
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby lilabet » July 13th, 2007, 4:25 pm

USDAA and a new venue, DOCNA (Dogs On Course in North America), both offer agility to all breeds and mixed breeds.
lilabet
Just Whelped

Postby maberi » July 13th, 2007, 6:11 pm

Silly question but what are some of the traits you look for in a dog that would do bite work?
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby katiek0417 » July 13th, 2007, 8:21 pm

On July 13 2007, 5:11 PM, maberi wrote:Silly question but what are some of the traits you look for in a dog that would do bite work?

Greg looks for a ton of drive (usually prey) and stability...this means that the dog adapts easily to new situations....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Sports