Training Video 06-29-07

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby randi81 » July 6th, 2007, 4:41 pm

Great video! Connor pays GREAT attention to you!
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby DemoDick » July 10th, 2007, 1:53 am

Demo, this is an interesting way of you teaching this. Michelle and I were talking about Connor and gunfire the other morning. I am having a similar (not exactly the same) problem with Nisha. When she is heeling, she can hear gunfire, and not even look away from me...however, gunfire during the long down makes her break. However, she doesn't go for the decoy. She runs to me. She's not afraid of the gunfire (you can fire continuously while she's heeling, and she doesn't care, you can fire while she's in the grip, and she bites harder)...

(italics added)

The dog probably feels "vulnerable" in the down because she is alone out there in a physically submissive position, and you have gone away. Also, she's not being asked to do anything active to occupy her mind (which would help to dissipate stress). Her coping mechanism to deal with that stress is to break positon and find a comfort zone by momma.

If I were in yur position, I would skip a meal and set her up for the long down on a long line. Have the gunman out of sight. Make sure the dog is secured with a tie down and have the gunman fire a shot. When the dog calms down, stops barking, whining, etc. lightly praise and bring her some food as a reward but don't let her finish it. Walk away and wait a minute and try it again. Just make sure that the dog can't break position, is always surprosied by the shot, and always gets a lightly enthused praise & treat. Just build the exercise until she can eat her entire meal while the shots are going off, and then taper the food back to nothing

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby katiek0417 » July 10th, 2007, 2:32 pm

On July 10 2007, 12:53 AM, DemoDick wrote:
(italics added)
When the dog calms down, stops barking, whining, etc. lightly praise and bring her some food as a reward but don't let her finish it. Walk away and wait a minute and try it again. Just make sure that the dog can't break position, is always surprosied by the shot, and always gets a lightly enthused praise & treat. Just build the exercise until she can eat her entire meal while the shots are going off, and then taper the food back to nothing

Demo Dick

We have been working just on a long line with me holding the line....I am taking steps away from her each time...

She never barks, whines, or anything....she just gets up....
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby brooksybrooks1 » July 13th, 2007, 12:08 am

demo- i really liked the video and your decoy looks really experienced and awesome. i like how much connor pays attention to you but also isn't so handler sensitive that when he gets up there he feel like he has to check back with you. that stub tail cracks me up! if you don't mind, you should check out the video posts i put up this morning and tell me what you think. i have another one i plan on putting up where tre does another bark and hold and an escape bite and stuff. i'de like to know what you think.
what lines is connor from? where do you typically suggest getting working pits from? i got lucky with this one pound puppy i know...
brooksybrooks1
Loyally Bully

Postby DemoDick » July 13th, 2007, 1:12 am

We have been working just on a long line with me holding the line....I am taking steps away from her each time...

Hey, if it's working stick with it.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby mnp13 » July 13th, 2007, 8:03 am

On July 13 2007, 00:08, brooksybrooks1 wrote:what lines is connor from? where do you typically suggest getting working pits from? i got lucky with this one pound puppy i know...

Connor was my foster dog, he was found in a dumpster pretty much starved to death (29 poundsat heis current size, his healthy weight is about 53 pounds). So, his lines are pretty much "garbage." lol

Personally, I think you can find working Pit Bulls anywhere. It's harder to find a trainer who has enough experience with Pit Bulls to evaluate the dog for work. In my opinion there are more working Pit Bulls out there than most people think, it's just hard to find them because the super high drive ones are the last ones that most rescues or adopters want. Well, rescues might be willing to take them, but their chances of every getting rid of them are pretty low unfortunately. A working dog in a "pet" home has a much higher chance of eating the furniture, bouncing off the walls and doing other things that make you want to strangle them because most working quality dogs go nuts without a job to do. Unfortunately, most people who want a working dog have a brain block about looking to rescue for a dog, they'd rather go to a breeder because they think that is a guarenteed way to get a working dog - and I don't think it is, especially with Pit Bulls that someone wants to do bitework with.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Previous

Return to Sports