Jute vs. French Linen

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby SisMorphine » July 2nd, 2007, 8:03 am

What are the pros and cons of using tugs and sleeves made out of the different materials?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby katiek0417 » July 2nd, 2007, 9:02 am

On July 02 2007, 7:03 AM, SisMorphine wrote:What are the pros and cons of using tugs and sleeves made out of the different materials?

I think you need to use whatever is best suited for the dog. Nisha hates jute rolls, but will bite a schutzhund-type sleeve made of that same material (that is how Nisha was told to bite hard). For obedience, I actually use a suede roll with her. I have found that she likes it best. The way that Greg trains a dog put her first on a puppy sleeve made of the suit material - however it was soft and small enough for her to bite. As she got older, he put her on a puffier sleeve (which is the sleeve he eventually uses to teach shoulder targeting; to teach her to open her mouth), then he put her on a schutzhund-type hard sleeve. This was to teach her two things: open her mouth, and bite hard. In fact, Greg told me he wouldn't put her in the shoulder until she could indent the sleeve. He then introduces the targeting sleeve made of suit material. Once she is biting full, hard, and confidently on that, he will move her onto a suit.

With TJ, I use a tug that I got from Jerry Bradshaw (it's on his site that I passed on to you). It's longer than most (a foot) because of his age/eyesight...I've found with smaller tugs he ends up biting my hand.

With Kaiden, I use a tug made out of fire hose. It was made specifically for him with not a ton of filling. Since he's still a baby I'm just introducing him to the tug as a reward....however, for bitework, he is on the same sleeve that Nisha is learning the shoulder on (but he's on the forearm part)....

As far as tugs, I prefer the French linen type or suede...I have not had a ton of luck getting my dogs to bite jute...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Return to Sports