the new kid

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 1:34 pm

Meet Punchline's Lethal Weapon - aka Riggs

Chris gave him to me this weekend, and we're going to see how things go for a few weeks. He's got 2 legs on his weight pull title, some conformation wins and started in bitework. I'll post all the specifics later on.

He's quite the little tank, at least 3 inches shorter than Ruby but the same weight. He's all muscle and energy! He's getting a bath later on today so I'll try to get some 'posed' shots once he's all sparkly clean.

He's ADBA, UKC and AKC registered.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » March 1st, 2006, 1:41 pm

I've been waiting for this post!! Congrats!! I can't wait to see more pictures!! He looks so much like Munkee
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jesseca » March 1st, 2006, 1:42 pm

That's is so cool. Can't wait to see more pics and see how he does :D
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Big_Ant » March 1st, 2006, 1:44 pm

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMNNN!!!!!!!!

I need to find someone to give me a dog that's registered and already started!!!

LMAO!

Good Luck with him Michelle, looks like you've got a little firecracker on your hands.

How is he with Ruby and Connor?

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby JCleve86 » March 1st, 2006, 1:47 pm

Woohoo!!! Congrats!
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 1:55 pm

Well you can't have him. So there. :P

I have no idea how he is with Connor, and we will not be finding out. He got snotty with Ruby through his crate on the ride home and she clearly told him to shut the f up, but that's about it.

They will not be having house time / play time / whatever time together. It's not worth the risk and he's not a pet, he's a working dog.

Firecracker? Try a stick of dynamite.

I'm not sure if Chris gave him to me because he likes me or he wants to make me insane. :wink: (ok, he really gave him to me to make me a better handler)
Last edited by mnp13 on March 1st, 2006, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » March 1st, 2006, 2:01 pm

I didn't think you wanted another pet, glad to see he's at least going to get worked.

I'm actually going to talk with my friend about working his German Rottie. He's letting that dog slip away, and I've been craving to work a dog for the last year now, so I think I'm going to talk with him about working him and getting him going.

The problem my friend has is that the dog is primarily for protection, and since he's in a wheelchair he doesn't want the dog being "buddy buddy" with anyone and everyone. He wants the dog to only work for him. The problem with that is that the Training Center is on grass/dirt that is very rough and uneven, and he doesn't like taking his wheel chair out there because it's very very expensive. So the dog only gets worked once a month, if that!

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 1st, 2006, 2:01 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy cow awesome michelle!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 1st, 2006, 2:26 pm

mnp13 wrote: It's not worth the risk and he's not a pet, he's a working dog.

*wishing their was a "clapping" icon*

Since I work with Greyhound rescue I deal with this on a daily basis. MOST WORKING DOGS CANNOT BE PETS AND WORK AT THE SAME TIME! It's a pretty difficult concept for most people to grasp and I always like to applaud those who see the differences.

The kennel I used to work at houses the Beagle Brigade that works Logan Airport. I remember giving people tours and proudly saying "And these three dogs are members of the Beagle Brigade" and having people be appauled that they were not kept in the handlers homes. *shakes head*

BUT ANYWAY
What a gorgeous boy you have there! I can't wait to see his "post day of beauty" pics :wink:
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » March 1st, 2006, 2:36 pm

mnp13 wrote:he's not a pet, he's a working dog.

he's not a companion, he's a tool, would have been more appropriate? Why have a dog if it can't be both? Oh well. Nice looking dog though.
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 1st, 2006, 2:37 pm

*wishing their was a "clapping" icon*

That we have missy!

:clap:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 2:45 pm

Blitzkrieg Staffords wrote:

he's not a companion, he's a tool, would have been more appropriate? Why have a dog if it can't be both? Oh well. Nice looking dog though.

Watch your mouth. I never said he was a tool. He is a living breathing animal. He's not going to sleep in my bed or sit on the couch with me to watch movies - that's what pets do. Ruby is my pet, Riggs is not.

To quote Chris: "If you try to make this dog into a pet [right now], he will eat your house" and since Chris is in a position to know that, I believe him. Of course, when he is trained and bonded with me he can and will get more house time, but until that relationship is set up we have to have a more structured relationship.
Last edited by mnp13 on March 1st, 2006, 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 2:50 pm

SisMorphine wrote: MOST WORKING DOGS CANNOT BE PETS AND WORK AT THE SAME TIME! It's a pretty difficult concept for most people to grasp and I always like to applaud those who see the differences.

Don't applaud me, it's not a concept I am all that comfortable with at this point, but I am learning.

There are many working dogs who can be pets and work well, and there are many more than can not. Riggs is in the 'not' catagory, though I am sure that he will be able to have more (supervised) house time as training progresses.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » March 1st, 2006, 3:09 pm

Congratulations!...And good luck in your new endeavor!!
Purple
I live here

Postby DemoDick » March 1st, 2006, 3:09 pm

Blitzkrieg Staffords wrote:

Because he can't be both. At least not until he understands the relationship as a working one.

Imagine that your best friend and roommate was suddenly hired as your subordinate at work. You are to follow him everywhere and teach him new tasks (in a new language that he doesn't understand), and correct him when he makes mistakes. It would likely create conflict in both relationships and hurt the quality of the work.

Want to screw up a dog? Try to make him a pet and a working animal at the same time. Especially if it's your first one.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby JCleve86 » March 1st, 2006, 3:10 pm

mnp13 wrote:
SisMorphine wrote: MOST WORKING DOGS CANNOT BE PETS AND WORK AT THE SAME TIME! It's a pretty difficult concept for most people to grasp and I always like to applaud those who see the differences.

Don't applaud me, it's not a concept I am all that comfortable with at this point, but I am learning.

There are many working dogs who can be pets and work well, and there are many more than can not. Riggs is in the 'not' catagory, though I am sure that he will be able to have more (supervised) house time as training progresses.

That sounds a bit more like you...
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmyangels » March 1st, 2006, 3:29 pm

Best of luck with him. He is really a nice looking dog.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » March 1st, 2006, 4:15 pm

He looks fun!!! :D How old is he now?
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby odnarb » March 1st, 2006, 4:55 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Since I work with Greyhound rescue I deal with this on a daily basis. MOST WORKING DOGS CANNOT BE PETS AND WORK AT THE SAME TIME! It's a pretty difficult concept for most people to grasp and I always like to applaud those who see the differences.

Uh...

This dog is a housepet, sleeps on the couch, and goes to work with me every day. And, I guarantee that this dog is more wound than 99.9% of the dogs alive today...

This dog's number one job is to keep his mom safe, and anyone that lays a hand on me will be in a world of hurt. He does his job well, despite being a pansy, panpered housepet.

I expect he won't be too shabby of a sport dog, either :twisted:
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 5:09 pm

I don't think anyone is saying that it is an absolute. There are dogs that can be pets and working dogs, and dogs that can't.

Personally, I haven't managed to keep things 'black and white' with Ruby, so we're starting out very black and white with Riggs.

One of the best dogs in PSA right now is a full time, sleep on the bed house dog. But those dogs are not the majority.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Pit Bull Talk