his paw is swolen, need some help

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chance's mom » February 28th, 2006, 12:24 am

ok so chance has been sleeping a lot today, i thought it was just due to the rain, because it just started raining today, and hardly rains here. well we finally got him to go out, and when he came back in his back paw is swolen in the middle! his middle toe is red and very puffy all the way towards the middle of his paw. i put bactine on it, iced it as long as he would let me, and put a mit on it so he cant get to it. he kept licking it, but he cant put presure on it and it seems to hurt him to even lick it. i can push down on it, but he doesnt yank it from me until i touch toward the nail end of the toe. is this allergy, it could be he got bitten by something? or could he have somehow stubbed it and broken his paw? anyone had an experience like this?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 28th, 2006, 12:32 am

Could be anything but the fact that he will not put weight on it leads me to think it is an injury. He may need a trip to the vet.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » February 28th, 2006, 8:26 am

Maybe a bee sting?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Marinepits » February 28th, 2006, 9:05 am

Shorty has broken two different toes in the past two years -- frisbee and trees don't mix, neither do jolly balls and rock walls. Her symptoms were very similar to what you've described. I took her to the vet both times to confirm the broken toes. They healed very well, although she was uncomfortable for a while. No fun trying to keep a bully on "bed rest".
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 9:17 am

could be a bee sting or he could have stepped on something sharp.,or even an ingrown hair... i would bring him to the vet..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby chance's mom » February 28th, 2006, 8:25 pm

so i just got back from the vet, chance is still there, and will be until 7pm tonight, the vet thinks he has an abscess and he is having surgery on his paw. he was swollen very badly and bleeding from licking it so much. my poor baby!! costing me about $300 but at least he will be ok.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby annieinpa » February 28th, 2006, 8:38 pm

I hope that will clear everything up. I'm glad it's not more serious. Good thing you took him to the vet when you did.

Let us know how he's doing.
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby chance's mom » February 28th, 2006, 8:50 pm

thanks i was glad too! i just did some research on it, and it does sound like what he has. here is what i found read this, i found it quite educational
http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Injuries.html
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » February 28th, 2006, 9:31 pm

could it have been/be spear grass? Oscar had a bout with that this past summer, he had a piece of pointy grass seed stuck in his foot for probably a month and half! They had to lance it twice before we got the piece out :o

At first I thought it was a sprain or strain on the foot, I never saw any blood or fuss from him whenever the grass got in there. Over about a week is progressed and finally started swelling and becoming more obviously an abscess.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby luvmyangels » February 28th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Poor baby. I hope everything will be ok. Please let us know how he is doing when he gets home.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 1st, 2006, 12:46 am

Awww, poor baby. Give him a big hug from me when he gets home.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chance's mom » March 1st, 2006, 12:54 am

so he is home, all woosy, i had to carry him in becuase he refused to walk. the vet said she flushed it and got a lot of puss and liquid out but didnt find anything stuck in there. she gave him a shot of some kind of antibacterial, and removing a lot of that puss took down a lot of the swelling. she wants to see him back in 5 days, and he has pain killers and antibiotic meds to take. so we still dont know what happened or why it swole up like that. i will post pics of how his paw should look vs how it looked while in the vets office. its still a bit swollen, and it is still bugging me that nothing was found in there, she said the weird thing is how it puffed up on both sides of his middle toe!
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » March 1st, 2006, 2:18 am

when Oscar had an abscess in his throat(from the inside out), when they operated they didn't find a foreign body either. If whatever it was was organic, and may have been in there for a while, sometimes the body removes it on it's own...

the re-check should tell the Vet if she thinks theres still a problem, I think?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » March 1st, 2006, 10:24 am

Here in Eastern WA and OR we have "cheat grass", it is like "fox tails" or grass seed, looks like the head of wheat but smaller and it digs into their feet/toes and ears. I was going to suggest that but wasn't sure if y'all get that where you are. It sure plays havoc with their feet :(
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 1st, 2006, 10:30 am

i am wondering if chance has an ingrown hair.. my rott gets them occasionally, he has one now.. he was limping on his front foot, then he started licking, then i noticed the bump and popped it. pus came out. its inbetween his toes sort of.. post a pic of chances spot
Maryellen
I live here

Postby chance's mom » March 1st, 2006, 9:17 pm

these are the pics i took at the vet
good paw:

swollen paw:
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » March 1st, 2006, 9:18 pm

spider bite??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby chance's mom » March 1st, 2006, 9:50 pm

she said it had a bad infection whatever it was. she seems to think there is definately something in there. i honestly dont know, but i am glad he is walking on it now. i just want it to heal! its still a bit red and puffy, but looks much much better than it did.

u know since i have the pics up there, what do u guys think, are his nails to long? or is that about right?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 10:04 pm

chance's mom wrote:u know since i have the pics up there, what do u guys think, are his nails to long? or is that about right?

you have a lot of room to trim them, the quicks are pretty far back. Keep them as short as possible or the quicks end up advancing.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby chance's mom » March 1st, 2006, 10:36 pm

we usually dremmel them so that they are about half what they are now, i am terrified of getting his qucks so i dont usually dare to go lower than that, and i never mess with his black nails, weird thing is, they never look like they need it. anyhow thought i would ask since i have always wondered and the pics were up there :D he is walking fine now, i just gave him the pain killer and antibiotic they told us to give him, and i have to watch him, becuase he forgets it hurts since the pain killers kicked in. he tries to play or scratch with the wrong foot, they really are just like kids huh?
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health