Timberwolf and thirsty dogs

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby luvmyangels » February 28th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Hi! My dogs have been on Timberwolf Bison for a little over a month. I have found since they have been on it they are drinking a lot more water. They act as if they haven't had water for a week.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Malli » February 28th, 2006, 9:33 pm

when they urinate, is the pee dark or light in color? If the urine is dark dark yellow or even slightly orangy its a good indicator of the dogs hydration...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby luvmyangels » March 1st, 2006, 8:56 am

I don't usually watch them pee. But sometimes my younger one will pee in the house and as of this week it was light yellow to almost clear.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 1st, 2006, 9:26 am

hmm.. . i will have to notice this now... i have been feeding the TW for 2 years now, but i rotate the foods.. maybe try another bag? the only one who doesnt drink alot of water anymore is my rott, as he is getting the canned merrick as the TW made him gain too much weight.. do you put anything in the food? i put salmon oil in every day...

most of their pee is yellowish/clear, sometimes the rotts is darker, but mostly not..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 1st, 2006, 10:12 am

We need water to process proteins. TW has more protein, apparently, than other dog foods. The kidneys process the proteins so if we (animals or humans) have kidney problems we can't have a high-protein diet. Anyway the kidneys working harder to process the proteins is why they need more water. If their urine is clear they're getting enough.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 1st, 2006, 10:24 am

Maryellen wrote:hmm.. . i will have to notice this now... i have been feeding the TW for 2 years now, but i rotate the foods.. maybe try another bag? the only one who doesnt drink alot of water anymore is my rott, as he is getting the canned merrick as the TW made him gain too much weight.. do you put anything in the food? i put salmon oil in every day...

most of their pee is yellowish/clear, sometimes the rotts is darker, but mostly not..

I just got the Ocean Blue and they just started this morning with that bag. I add salmon oil and have been giving Knuckles Vitamin C in his food once a day. The puppies eat 2 times a day and my older one eats once a day (this is his choice). I have also been giving them a raw egg two times a week.

But I have also noticed after they have had a large bowl of water they were trying to lick snow off of the deck when I let them out. We had a dusting yesterday morning.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 1st, 2006, 10:25 am

msvette2u wrote:We need water to process proteins. TW has more protein, apparently, than other dog foods. The kidneys process the proteins so if we (animals or humans) have kidney problems we can't have a high-protein diet. Anyway the kidneys working harder to process the proteins is why they need more water. If their urine is clear they're getting enough.

That definitely makes sense. I am going to try to see if I can get a sample of urine on my other two. Just to make sure they are ok.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » March 1st, 2006, 10:28 am

the TW protein is between 22-26% which is normal for most foods i think ?.. the licking of the snow is universal in dogs i think, mine think they have to eat all the snow as it will disappear if they dont.. i did notice that when i fed raw my dogs drank less ..... sonny drinks less as he is on canned food which has more moisture then the dry..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 1st, 2006, 10:59 am

Maryellen wrote:the TW protein is between 22-26% which is normal for most foods i think ?.. the licking of the snow is universal in dogs i think, mine think they have to eat all the snow as it will disappear if they dont.. i did notice that when i fed raw my dogs drank less ..... sonny drinks less as he is on canned food which has more moisture then the dry..

Besides licking the snow there is also a wagon in my yard that the dogs go to looking for water. So although I do think part of it is to make the snow disappear I also think there is still a thirst factor.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby chance's mom » March 1st, 2006, 9:55 pm

we feed the hundenflocken, i actually notice chance doesnt drink as much, but i also add a 1/4 inch water to mix the suplements from them with the food. i also noticed he drank way less water when i fed him raw. try switching them to hundenflocken and see how they do, maybe just rotating the food would help? i am no expert, just a guess.
chance's mom
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 1st, 2006, 10:09 pm

raw meat is about 75% water, so the dog would have gotten a good deal of water in his diet.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Nutrition & Health