Check out this map...... very scary

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jenn » February 28th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Man some places are really into breeding animals.. :shock:

What is the difference in the following though? :?
Animal Dealer
Animal Exhibitor
Jenn
undecided

Postby Purple » February 28th, 2006, 12:35 pm

WOW!
Purple
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 12:40 pm

isnt it scary?? i have no idea what the difference is between the two, does anyone?
i would think animal dealer is a breeder
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » February 28th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Isn't a dealer someone who collects/breeds for research facilities?
Purple
I live here

Postby Hoyden » February 28th, 2006, 12:47 pm

HOly cow - that's alot of breeders.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby cheekymunkee » February 28th, 2006, 12:59 pm

I don't know what it is but it is all disgusting
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby JCleve86 » February 28th, 2006, 1:54 pm

I would guess a dealer is one who does what C.C. Baird, the man we all know and love, does.

I hate to play devils advocate, as I'm sure plenty of animal dealers are like him, but we don't know that to be true. There *could* be dealers who, while they are still involved in collecting animals to sell to animal research, at least treat the dogs better than that. Also...let's not get on the "no animal research" bandwagon. As much as I dislike the idea, as long as it is done as humane as possible, I choke on it knowing that we would basically have to stop advancing in science without animal research. PETA would have you believe otherwise, saying you can use tissues and man-made products to experiment with, but that's just not true.

My A&P instructor was an animal researcher, and while some of the experiments they did are hard to think about (inducing heart attacks to study the effects and study treatment, for example), they were necessary and they treated the animals as well as they could. They were clean, fed, always sedated just as you would a human for surgery, etc. etc. etc.

If I remember correctly, I beleive in Europe animals HAVE to come from breeders if they are going to be used for animal research...which means no shelter dogs and no stolen pets come into the equation. Maybe we should push for that kind of law here? Yes...it means puppy mills will have a better market...but I feel that maybe it beats the alternative...what we say in the C.C. Baird documentary...
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 2:11 pm

a few years ago here locally there were a HUGE amount of pet dogs taken from yards.. never to be seen again... no dogs were ever found, no collars, nothing.. the papers did a huge article about it, and after that everyone watched their dogs in the yard.. no more huge amounts of dogs were stolen after that.. i seriously think that the dogs stolen were taken by dealers for research..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » February 28th, 2006, 2:15 pm

I would be willing to bet dollars to dimes that you are right. :(
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » February 28th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Most high end pharmaceutical companies only buy dogs from facilities that they are bred at (beagles). My university does the same thing. The animals at the company I used to work for were treated like gold- probably better than some housepets. These experiments are extremely costly. and you don't watch to botch your data by not taking care of your subjects. Any facility that would use shelter dogs is not doing high quality research, obviously
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » February 28th, 2006, 2:22 pm

oh yah, same goes for cats--but 97% of your animal subjects are going to be mice and rats so dogs and cats fall into a very very small percentage overall
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Jenn » February 28th, 2006, 2:39 pm

:| Now I'm totally confused, is that map for primates? I went to the site, and it's all about primates.......
Jenn
undecided

Postby Maryellen » February 28th, 2006, 2:47 pm

omg i think you are right.... i didnt scroll all the way down and hit home, i just looked at the maps...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jenn » February 28th, 2006, 2:51 pm

LOL!! I wasn't sure, but was so caught up in what the difference was in the maps ~ I was searching to try and find out, and all I kept seeing was primates.
Jenn
undecided

Postby JCleve86 » February 28th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Look at all the dog people, freaking out over dog testing primate testing labs. No, wait....

lol

It's actually much more sad to test primates if you consider how much more complex they are, but...sorry...I think many of us have developed a crude sense of humor due to our involvement in dogs. So...I think it's slightly funny that we got ourselves all up in arms over it.

Although that means there is that much primate testing going on? Good God...that's way more upsetting to me...just a step away from testing humans. :(

ETA Their maps are as general as we thought...they do not clarify like they do with other documents that these are primate testing facilities, so that leads me to believe that these are general animal testing facilities...anything from mice to dogs to primates. A bit misleading to say the least. And look at the homepage...links to our FAVORITE animal rights org. I wish folks who fought for animal welfare would STOP allying themselves with Peta...it totally destroys their credibility.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 28th, 2006, 4:08 pm

so that leads me to believe that these are general animal testing facilities...anything from mice to dogs to primates.

I think you are right! That is a LOT of freakin' monkeys! As many of them as it appears there are in the DFW region, I think I would have heard something of them by now. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » February 28th, 2006, 9:35 pm

I watched a documentary on chimps, and it showed them in testing facilities... it was the saddest freaking thing ever. You can see how like humans they are in their expressions. They are so intelligent, and kept in these drab dark cages with their souls just draining out of them. So sad.

...anyway, I wonder how a commercial breeder map would look... probably pretty similar.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk