Keep your fingers crossed

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby katiek0417 » June 1st, 2007, 6:04 am

Hi all,

I've been out of touch this past week (I apologize)....however, I've been getting ready for the first east coast PSA trial of the 2007 season!!!

This weekend, I will be showing TJ. TJ is a "borrowed" dog. 10 years old. TJ was the first dog to get a PSA 2 title (in Feb 2002). He is also the only dog to title/get a leg every time he was shown (he was shown 4 times: 1st time he got his 1 Novice, 2nd time his 1 Open, 3rd time his first leg to the 2, 4th time the second leg to his 2).

He belongs to one of my closest friends (Dallas), and she has very graciously allowed me to "take him off the couch" (he is a pet that sleeps in her bed every night) and train him up for the 3's. We've been working together since October. I feel more comfortable with him than I've ever felt. But there are things he doesn't know that we might face in the 3's...unfortunately, I can try to prepare for everything...but it's all a surprise...the scenarios (both OB and Prot) will be different each day. It's luck of the draw: to have all the cards fall in place on a given day, and hope the scenarios are made up of components that he knows/understands (and that I know/understand).

But, we have a difficult road ahead of us: there are only 4 dogs in the country to have a level 3 title, and only 3 other dogs in the country competing in the 3's at this time. Why? Because it's very hard to get to that point...in the PSA level 1's, the obedience and control of the dog is tested. In the upper levels, it is all about the relationship between the handler and the dog, and the ability for them to communicate clearly. It is about the dog trusting the handler to make the right decisions at the right time. It takes a special dog to get a 3...I hope that TJ is one of those special dogs. I think, and I believe, he is...

This weekend will be the first time in a while that there is a dog on the east coast competing in the 3's (the last time was Jerry Bradshaw with Rocky and Ricardo).

So, please keep your fingers crossed for us!!! I'll let you know how we do!!!

THANK YOU!!!!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby DemoDick » June 1st, 2007, 6:08 am

Good luck!

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 1st, 2007, 8:27 am

How exciting! Good luck, and keep us updated!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » June 1st, 2007, 8:29 am

I'm sure you're 10 times more ready than you think you are.

Make sure someone has your camera to take lots of pictures! And we better see some video!!!!!

Good luck!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby sw_df27 » June 1st, 2007, 10:47 am

Good Luck!
sw_df27
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Big_Ant » June 1st, 2007, 11:33 am

Katrina, you got me pumped up just reading that.

Rock' it out and get it done!

You know you've got it handled!!!!

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Jenn » June 1st, 2007, 12:07 pm

Good Luck!
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » June 1st, 2007, 3:08 pm

You guys are gonna do FINE!!! Best of luck!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » June 2nd, 2007, 10:02 am

Wish you the best! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » June 2nd, 2007, 11:00 pm

I'm waiting to hear how it went.....
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 2nd, 2007, 11:52 pm

Okay....first day....please remember...I've never even got past the first level OB (I start but never finish it).

He needed 80 points to pass OB today. We got 66. Unfortunately, we screwed things up that we NEVER expected to screw up on (things he does perfectly in training). However, we got almost full points for our heeling....the judge said that even under really heavy agitation and distraction, he stayed in position, with very few extra commands from me.

Unfortunately, he tanked in the Protection part. He 0'd on 2 scenarios (out of 4). I think I was nervous, and we also had a little bit of a snafu before going on ...and on one scenario, I messed up...I should've asked the judge a question, and didn't...and lost points as a result of not knowing something he would've told me.

However, in PSA, the 2's and the 3's are done tournament style. Even without passing, you can come in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Being the only competitor in the 3's, I still took home the first place trophy - pretty cool to have a 1st place trophy for the PSA Level 3!!!

We didn't do as well as I had hoped, but we know what to work on. We have plenty of pics, and video....I'll decide if I actually want to post the video of the pathetic parts...LOL...I'll post the pics as soon as I've had a chance to go through them....

Anyway, I'll give you all an update tomorrow (we'll be trialing again tomorrow). Keep the fingers crossed for us!!!!

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » June 3rd, 2007, 10:13 am

Post the video!!! Hell, many of us here (myself included) won't even be able to point out where things didn't go as planned! :D
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » June 3rd, 2007, 4:52 pm

You get points for even trying!!!!

I hope things went even better today!
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » June 3rd, 2007, 9:09 pm

Hi All,

Thank you for all your good thoughts....

We did a complete turnaround from yesterday....

I came out for the handler walk-through for obedience...let's put it this way, I was nearly in tears during the walk-through. Yesterday, it was all about obedience. Today was all about skill and trust. I will absolutely post video...but it came time for the critique, and I was waiting. They were all by the table huddled with the calculator...I knew that I either JUST passed or JUST failed....Rick comes out, goes through the points...I'm trying to do the math....he gets to the end, "She needed 80 points to pass obedience in the Level 3's, Katrina got an 80 today."

So, on to protection we go...The scenarios were long. We get through the first 3...passing....the fourth scenario involved me sending my dog to do a muzzle attack on a decoy. I was told to call him back, and take his muzzle off...then I had to send him downfield again, then do a call-off (tell him to bite, then call-off at a specified point)....Well, it was pouring...the wind was blowing....he's done hundreds of call offs...PERFECTLY...today, he couldn't hear me (the people on the sideline couldn't hear me)....he blew it...I got a zero on the exercise....Had we passed that scenario, we would've had our 1st leg on the 3 (you need 2 legs for the title)...

I'm not making excuses....and I'm not all that upset...today proved to me that we can do it!!! We have a month to work on some things we need to work on....we'll try again in Chicago in about a month.

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » June 4th, 2007, 2:33 pm

Of course you can do it!! Congrats & best of luck in Chicago!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Sports