feeling sad.....

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Insomnia » February 27th, 2006, 9:50 am

An animal rescue organization here that I'm making small contributions to has been working hard here with their Catch & Release program with stray dogs, they focused on a popular tourist mountain here where a lot of people dump their unfixed unwanted dogs, it has been going very well and a few injured dogs has been rescued...I've been on the mountain a few times and most dogs seem very healthy and living a rather satifactory life in the wilderness.

Today on the news, a tourist on the mountain got bitten by a stray dog. The government policy here on stray dog is catch and kill, but usually, it's not carried out unless someone complains about it in their neighborhood, most strays become neighborhood adopted strays so the catch & kill policy is rarely carried out. But now this one incident, most likely, a mass killing of the dogs on the mountain will be carried out.....all the hard work by these ppl goes to waste....

Maybe it's for the better, euthanizing every stray dogs here...it's just so sad for me to see all these homeless dogs wandering the streets at night looking for food....but how do I know if they're happy or not.....
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » February 27th, 2006, 10:00 am

stupid tourist... i am so sorry to hear this.. what you and the others have done for the dogs should be commended.. you are doing the best you all can, and maybe all the strays wont be killed.. maybe they can put a do not touch or go near the strays so that tourists wont go near them??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » February 27th, 2006, 10:15 am

I understand the sentiment of this organization but they should be findsing homes for these dogs after s/n.

Allowing dogs to run wild seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

They're pack animals and when hungry they will do what they have to to eat.

A stray dog running after a bicycle is what dogs do. It's called prey drive. Put a bunch of them together and you've got trouble.

Letting them run wild is hardly humane. These are dsomesticated dogs. They should be with human owners or humanely pts.

Sorry that I have a dsifferent view of this. :oops:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 27th, 2006, 10:35 am

I share your view Charles. Dogs aren't wild animals. I could see leaving feral cats out in the wild, they tend to hide from humans but many dogs naturally want to have contact with humans.
I think its a disaster waiting to happen as well. Rather like semi-tame wolves wandering the parks and in contact with humans.
Dogs packs not too far from here (in the next county) have actually mauled a child. When sheriffs arrived, some the dogs were shot because they were attacking the sheriffs.
Think of it this way...our own dogs are packs, and will tend to do nawty things when left to themselves. Now think of unowned dogs that don't even have contact with humans on regular basis, or training, and they are running in packs, and don't have a fear of humans the way wild animals do, or feral cats. Recipe for disaster!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Insomnia » February 27th, 2006, 10:50 am

Romanwild wrote:I understand the sentiment of this organization but they should be findsing homes for these dogs after s/n.

Allowing dogs to run wild seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

They're pack animals and when hungry they will do what they have to to eat.

A stray dog running after a bicycle is what dogs do. It's called prey drive. Put a bunch of them together and you've got trouble.

Letting them run wild is hardly humane. These are dsomesticated dogs. They should be with human owners or humanely pts.

Sorry that I have a dsifferent view of this. :oops:

They do evaluate them after the spay/neuter, if they feel it's adoptable and have fosters, they will keep it for adoption. Some are so attached to the other dogs and some are alpha dogs that other dogs have to rely on for survival, then they'd release them back into the mountain.

I don't feel dogs running wild is humane at all, but in the wilderness I feel it's the best situation for them, less human contact and less dangerous situations......I frequent this mountain at night just to chills and have encountered many different packs...I have not encountered one human aggressive dog yet...actually, I have not encountered any human aggressive strays here at all as of yet, in the mountain or in the city, and I've fed plenty and met plenty, most of them in packs too.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » February 27th, 2006, 10:55 am

charles, dont forget this is not the usa, different countries view animals differently... while we dont like hearing of dogs being kept this way, unless there are enough homes for them there is nothing that can be done.. and some countries dont view euthanasia like the usa does... its still sad though. humans destroy what they create.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Insomnia » February 27th, 2006, 10:57 am

Think of it this way...our own dogs are packs, and will tend to do nawty things when left to themselves. Now think of unowned dogs that don't even have contact with humans on regular basis, or training, and they are running in packs, and don't have a fear of humans the way wild animals do, or feral cats. Recipe for disaster!

That's how I felt before too, until I moved back here....the stray dogs in packs are very submissive and when human get close, they'd run away. However, they are very protective of their turf against other stray dogs. I don't think it's ever been a problem stray mauling ppl here 'cuz it really doesn't happen all that often, especially with over 1 million homeless free roaming dogs.

That's why organizations here set up the cnr program try to reduce the stray population this way instead of just catching and killing them all....however, they do still adopt out animals they feel that cannot survive as strays.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Insomnia » February 27th, 2006, 11:05 am

Maryellen wrote:charles, dont forget this is not the usa, different countries view animals differently... while we dont like hearing of dogs being kept this way, unless there are enough homes for them there is nothing that can be done.. and some countries dont view euthanasia like the usa does... its still sad though. humans destroy what they create.

It's true that the view on euthanasia is very different here....when one has an unwanted dog or problemed dog, most ppl would opt to release them as far away as possible from home instead of euthanasia. I really don't understand how this is more humane for the dogs... :( Turning into a pound guarantees death....sometime not by euthanasia. So nobody do that anymore.

Very limited foster space is a problem as well like you said....only the ones deemed not able to survive as a stray will be kept and adopt out...if space available...but I'm really glad to see more and more ppl involved with the well being of stray animals here and more media exposure.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » February 27th, 2006, 11:16 am

Insomnia wrote:
It's true that the view on euthanasia is very different here....when one has an unwanted dog or problemed dog, most ppl would opt to release them as far away as possible from home instead of euthanasia. I really don't understand how this is more humane for the dogs... :( Turning into a pound guarantees death....sometime not by euthanasia. So nobody do that anymore.

Here in our area it's the same way though. It's quite rural here and people turn them loose, but here it's "assumed" "someone will feel sorry for it and feed it". Then it gets vicious and bites someone or it gets hungry and kills some livestock and that's a death sentence.
I didn't realize you were in a different country when I wrote my note, sorry!
I could see how a different culture might feel differently about the animals and their existence. I'm glad that group was seeing the importance of spay/neuter.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Insomnia » February 27th, 2006, 11:29 am

I'm glad that group was seeing the importance of spay/neuter.

Because most of the make up of these organizations are foreigners or Taiwanese that have lived overseas.

The government pay half the tab and no one spay/neuter. I haven't seen one neutered male since I moved here.
Insomnia
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby msvette2u » February 27th, 2006, 12:15 pm

That is so sad. All our dogs (and cats) are fixed but we live in such a rural area, few people see the importance of spay/neuter.
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Off-Topic