ATTS Test April 23rd

CT, DE, DC, IN, ME, MD, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT

Postby Maryellen » February 14th, 2006, 2:59 pm

ATTS all breed temperament test to be held from 9:00-5:00 on Sunday, April 23th, by the American Pit Bull Terrier Club of New England. The site is in Goshen, CT (NW CT), at the Canine Sports Center, directions are available at http://www.caninesportscenter.com . This will take place rain or shine, and is open to all breeds or mixed breeds of dogs, that are at least 18 months of age at the time of testing. Contact Leslie Haller at lhaller4256@sbcglobal.net or 860-868-9729 for information and entry forms. The cost is $25 per dog. Pre-entry is advised, and must be received by April 17th. Females in heat will be tested last. More information is available at the American Temperament Testing Society's website at http://www.atts.org
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » February 23rd, 2006, 7:17 pm

Hi!I e-mailed Leslie,but he didn't write back,where can I get the entry form??? :|
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 23rd, 2006, 8:04 pm

leslie is a SHE.. try contacting her on pitbull forum as she posts there by pm'ing her...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » February 23rd, 2006, 9:43 pm

Sorry I meant she!!! :mrgreen: I'm gonna PM her!Thanx!
Ellie
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 26th, 2006, 6:24 pm

ellie have you heard from leslie??? i know the atts does do the test in valley stream ny too...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » February 26th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Yes,she e-mailed me.When we be that test?
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 26th, 2006, 6:56 pm

the valley stream one is usually in the summer months, but there is no guarantee they will have it there, if you can make it to goshen do it... bring a chair, as you will be waiting a few hours before you go for your turn.. the earlier you get there the earlier your turn will be.. i got to the one in valley stream at 8am, and my test time was at 11 am.. i think they open at 7 or 7:30 am to sign in.. you can watch the test itself while its going on, i sat on the grass with rufus and we watched the people and dogs doing the test until it was our turn, about a hour before our turn we went for a walk to go potty, then came back and did the test. your dog must be on a flat buckle collar, with a choke collar also both attached to your leash. the choke collar is for added protection for the testers. its a super easy test, you just cant say ANYTHING to your dog or correct your dog in any way.. if you go to http://www.atts.org you can see the test dates as they come up and where the test is given.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » February 26th, 2006, 7:07 pm

Thanks Maryellen!For some reason I can't log in to their website,that's why I asked!I will bring my girl out,she just started her heat season 2 days ago,so that wont be a problem.I only worry about the gun test,since she never heard gun shot before ....And my other fear when we have to do the 1.Neutral stranger,and I know her she will give kisses and I guess she shoudn't,so I have to work on that!No kisses to anybody!!!!
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 26th, 2006, 7:28 pm

nonononoooo.. you just let her be herself... you cant correct her at all whether voice or leash.... they want to see the dog in its natural behaviors.... my rufus licked the testers hand too, and they dont care.... the gun shot is actually a starter pistol, so it wont be that loud... they test on the breed standard, so if the dog is to be super people friendly that is allowed, they test to see if the dog will growl or try to bite the neutral stranger...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 26th, 2006, 7:30 pm

The ATTS Temperament Test focuses on and measures different aspects of temperament such as stability, shyness, aggressiveness, and friendliness as well as the dog's instinct for protectiveness towards its handler and/or self-preservation in the face of a threat.

The test simulates a casual walk through a park or neighborhood where everyday life situations are encountered. During this walk, the dog experiences visual, auditory and tactile stimuli. Neutral, friendly and threatening situations are encountered, calling into play the dog's ability to distinguish between non-threatening situations and those calling for watchful and protective reactions.

Dogs must be at least 18 months old to enter this test. The test takes about eight to 12 minutes to complete. The dog is on a loose six-foot (6') lead. The handler is not allowed to talk to the dog, give commands, or give corrections.

Failure on any part of the test is recognized when a dog shows:

Unprovoked aggression
Panic without recovery
Strong avoidance
The ATTS Temperament Test consists of ten subtests divided into five subcategories:

Behavior Toward Strangers
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to strangers in a non-threatening situation.
Subtest 1: Neutral stranger
A stranger to the dog approaches the handler, shakes hands with the handler and engages the handler in a brief conversation, ignoring the dog.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's reaction to passive socialization and the dog's protective instinct.

Subtest 2: Friendly stranger
A stranger to the dog approaches happily and briskly, is very friendly to the dog and pets the dog.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's active social skills.

Reaction to Auditory Stimuli
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to auditory stimuli and the dog's investigative behavior.
Subtest 3: Hidden Noise
The handler/dog team approaches a hidden assistant who rattles a metal bucket filled with rocks and sets this bucket in the path of the team. The handler may encourage the dog to investigate the bucket only when asked to do so. The handler's focus must be on the bucket, not on the dog.
The purpose of this subtest is to test alertness and curiosity.

Subtest 4: Gunshots
The handler stops at a designated marker with his/her back towards a well hidden assistant. The assistant fires three shots using a .22 caliber starter pistol (SHOT-PAUSE-SHOT-SHOT).
The purpose of this subtest is to measure the dog's recovery response to a sudden noise.

Reaction to Visual Stimulus
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to a sudden visual stimulus.
Subtest 5: Umbrella
The handler/dog team approaches an assistant sitting in a chair holding a closed umbrella parallel to the ground at a 90 degree angle to the approaching team. When the dog is five feet from the assistant, the umbrella is opened. The handler may encourage the dog to investigate the umbrella only when asked to do so. The handler's focus must be on the umbrella, not on the dog.

Tactile Stimuli
Objective: To measure the dog's reaction to unusual footing.
Subtest 6: Plastic Footing
Both the handler and the dog walk the entire length of a 15-foot by 6-foot clear plastic strip.

Subtest 7: Wire Footing
Only the dog will walk the entire length of a 12-foot by 3-foot unfolded exercise pen.

The purpose of these subtests is to measure the dog's sensitivity to unusual footing, its ability to recover from the fear of unusual footing and to measure its investigative behavior to the unusual footing.

Self Protective/Aggressive Behavior
Objective: These tests collectively evaluate the dog's capacity to recognize an unusual situation, its threshold to provocation, its protective instincts, and its propensity to realize when the situation becomes a threat.
Subtest 8: Non-Threatening
The handler/dog team stops at the designated marker. A weirdly-dressed stranger crosses the path 38 feet in front of the team.
The purpose of this subtest is to test the dog's alertness to an unusual situation.

Subtest 9: Threatening
The weird stranger advances 10 feet towards the stationary handler in a threatening manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's ability to recognize when an unusual situation turns into a provocation.

Subtest 10: Aggression
The weird stranger advances to within 18 feet of the stationary handler in an aggressive manner.
The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog's protective instincts.

The stranger is never closer than 10 feet from the dog. The handler's 2 foot arm and the 6' lead is added in for a total of 18 feet. Aggression here is checked against the breed standard and the dog's training. A schutzhund trained dog lunging at the stranger is allowed, but if an untrained Siberian husky does the same, it may fail.

At the conclusion of the test, the handler will receive a critique about the dog's performance. Certificate will be mailed within 90 days of the test.

This copyrighted test may not be used in whole or part without the express written consent of the American Temperament Test Society.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Sue » February 26th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Thanks for the info... I'm debating trying our luck with Rory.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby ellie@ny » February 26th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Again,THANX!I'm just hoping now the weather will be good too!
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » March 29th, 2006, 10:44 am

I brought Maggie and my (then) foster dog to this. They both passed!

Obedience doesnt mean anything in this. They dont care if you dog knocks the friendly stranger over. As long as s/he's being nice! :spin:

Maggie got low points on the threatening stranger because she just walked away from him :|
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » April 23rd, 2006, 9:45 am

ellie@ny wrote:Again,THANX!I'm just hoping now the weather will be good too!

Of course we got thunderstorms,and heavy rain,with wind.... :cry:
Oh well maybe next time....
Ellie
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 23rd, 2006, 9:55 am

Magnolia618 wrote:Obedience doesnt mean anything in this. They dont care if you dog knocks the friendly stranger over. As long as s/he's being nice! :spin:

That is good because Samurai would be more than happy to knock them over for kisses LOL :wink:
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 23rd, 2006, 10:58 am

What exactly do they do in 9 and 10
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Maryellen » April 23rd, 2006, 12:25 pm

a guy comes out from behind a blind dressed funny and yells and then waves a stick, and gets closer to you and the dog.. depending on the breed either the dog will bark, try to run away, or just look at them ..
Maryellen
I live here

Return to North East