Would like to get feedback

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby luvmyangels » February 26th, 2006, 5:04 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
luvmyangels wrote:I am so sorry that my post has caused conflict. As Martin Lawrence (I think he was the one to say that) would say, "Can we all just get along?"

Thank you to everyone that has shared their views.

That was Rodney King. :wink:

Ok. I thought I was off. Thank you for correcting me.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » February 26th, 2006, 5:25 pm

I never did the alpha roll,and never said I did it!That's why I don't understand when someone says,that's bad if you lay down your dog ,and hold him....The reason I had to hold him down because he was 6 mo. old and didn't stayed in the position.I never said roll or anything else...I had to do this with Nico only.And I did it when he didn't listen to me at the park,and I had to correct him.He got bitten by a "Friendly" spaniel badly at age 5 and 1/2 mo old,and after he wanted to jump on dogs,and that's what I didn't like,so I had to correct him.Since then he got his confidence back,and just fine with other dogs arround...
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby luvmyangels » February 26th, 2006, 5:41 pm

ellie@ny wrote:I never did the alpha roll,and never said I did it!That's why I don't understand when someone says,that's bad if you lay down your dog ,and hold him....The reason I had to hold him down because he was 6 mo. old and didn't stayed in the position.I never said roll or anything else...I had to do this with Nico only.And I did it when he didn't listen to me at the park,and I had to correct him.He got bitten by a "Friendly" spaniel badly at age 5 and 1/2 mo old,and after he wanted to jump on dogs,and that's what I didn't like,so I had to correct him.Since then he got his confidence back,and just fine with other dogs arround...

Sorry to hear Nico got bitten. Glad to hear he has gotten his confidence back.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 26th, 2006, 6:21 pm

sorry ellie, that was me that thought you alpha rolled your dog.. my mistake, i apologize..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » February 26th, 2006, 6:26 pm

That's ok,we all misunderstood each other!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Maryellen » February 26th, 2006, 6:35 pm

thanks!! at least we all know understand what we are all talking about :D :D :D :D :D
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » February 26th, 2006, 8:19 pm

:groupHug:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » February 28th, 2006, 2:32 pm

OMG if I did any of those alpha roll things with my girl she would think it was the best game ever. She is just so playful and like, "duh" but I love her!

Anyway, our girl used to pull like a freight train too. I definitely recommend the martingale, and if he is a big guy, 2" width works well, because instead of being "chokey" it just evens out the distribution of pressure on the neck. Blocky Dogs make some good solid ones:

http://www.blockydogs.com

Also Hoyden makes some cool ones, I'm sure there's a thread about her collars in the marketplace
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Pitcrew » March 3rd, 2006, 10:13 pm

Guys! :D I have to say that I love to see such a nice conversation on a controversial topic. Seeing people apologize when they misunderstand... And not tear up an idea they don't agree with? :o
Something you don't see on all message boards! :shock:

I am not big on the alpha roll thing. It can not only be dangerous with a hard dog, but can affect trust in sensitive dogs.
But I expect both types to trust and submit (give) to physical control.

Also a submissive personality dog can, and will, exhibit dominant behaviors when there is too much permissiveness and not enough leadership. Possitive does NOT mean pemissive!
I have yet to see a dog pulling on a leash that is not exhibiting dominant behavior (at least in that situation). Unless it was pulling to get away from something it fears.

What is happening in you agility class that is causing your dog to submissively urinate? Is he afraid of anything there? Is he doing it when he is greeting?

Clicker training is great! Highly recommend it! You are on a journey that I hope you find as fascinating as I. The dogs mind!
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby luvmyangels » March 3rd, 2006, 11:49 pm

Lisa wrote:What is happening in you agility class that is causing your dog to submissively urinate? Is he afraid of anything there? Is he doing it when he is greeting?

Clicker training is great! Highly recommend it! You are on a journey that I hope you find as fascinating as I. The dogs mind!

When submissive urination had occurred last it was due to my using a prong collar prior to going to class. I have found everytime I try something new with Knuckles he seems to do a 360 degree turn and I have to work him back up to where we were prior to that point with lots of positive reinforcement. I do not find it has anything to do with the class in fact I find that he enjoys the class.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 4th, 2006, 10:36 am

Did you have him checked for a urinary tract infection? I have a client who told me their dog was a submissive pee-er, and when she got here for the first lesson she peed non-stop. Turned out she had an infection that had been undiagnosed for months because she wouldn't pee at the vets. I showed them how to get a sample at home, and she was put on antibiotics.

She still submissive pees sometimes, but it is not as bad and is getting much better with training.

I also had a border/lab mix who was a bad submissive pee-er. Ironically, I had to become a good leader, stand up straight, be clear in what I wanted her to do, not show any 'concern' for her at all. I also had to learn to interact with her gently, gentle petting, quiet voice, slower movements (none of which are easy for me, I am very bully-like!) She then became more comfortable and the peeing stopped.

Not saying any of this will help your dog, but this is what worked for me.

Good luck ,and don't let other people pull you down, their dogs will hit some roadblock later on and it will be their turn to be embarrassed. They are dogs, not robots! Geez.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » March 4th, 2006, 8:48 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:Did you have him checked for a urinary tract infection? I have a client who told me their dog was a submissive pee-er, and when she got here for the first lesson she peed non-stop. Turned out she had an infection that had been undiagnosed for months because she wouldn't pee at the vets. I showed them how to get a sample at home, and she was put on antibiotics.

She still submissive pees sometimes, but it is not as bad and is getting much better with training.

I also had a border/lab mix who was a bad submissive pee-er. Ironically, I had to become a good leader, stand up straight, be clear in what I wanted her to do, not show any 'concern' for her at all. I also had to learn to interact with her gently, gentle petting, quiet voice, slower movements (none of which are easy for me, I am very bully-like!) She then became more comfortable and the peeing stopped.

Not saying any of this will help your dog, but this is what worked for me.

Good luck ,and don't let other people pull you down, their dogs will hit some roadblock later on and it will be their turn to be embarrassed. They are dogs, not robots! Geez.

Yes a urine test was done in the vets office when he submissively urinated there. It came back negative.

Thank you for all the information you have given me. I appreciate it.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby dogcrazyjen » March 5th, 2006, 12:02 am

Cool, I figured you already had, but thought I would ask.

My dal/whippet mix used to poop in the ring all the time-it was mortifying, especially when it kept happening. One time I pulled out a bag and caught it before it hit the ground! :oops:

The bugger just didn't need to go until he had been running and jumping...and trials were on leash unless you were in the ring.

Post updates, I would like to know how he is doing, and what has worked for you.

Jen
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » March 5th, 2006, 9:00 am

dogcrazyjen wrote:Cool, I figured you already had, but thought I would ask.

My dal/whippet mix used to poop in the ring all the time-it was mortifying, especially when it kept happening. One time I pulled out a bag and caught it before it hit the ground! :oops:

The bugger just didn't need to go until he had been running and jumping...and trials were on leash unless you were in the ring.

Post updates, I would like to know how he is doing, and what has worked for you.

Jen

I will keep you updated.

One of the first agility classes Knuckles pooped in the ring but that was because I had switched him to Raw and it was not agreeing with him. The worst part was it looked like a really freaky poop and the instructor asked me what was wrong with him?? But when I explained she understood. Not too embarrassing.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior