Back to the Futur....err...Shelter

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby msvette2u » May 24th, 2007, 2:45 am

His ear is much less red today. It's starting to smell yeasty which, not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I'll mention it to the vet tomorrow when we pick up the Kelpie, Terra, from being spayed ;)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby iluvk9 » May 24th, 2007, 6:23 am

Maybe the yeast smell is actually the END of the infection, compared to the red infection originally there? :| When Labs start to have a mild smell, you know you have to take care of it, so it doesn't get worse.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby call2arms » May 24th, 2007, 8:25 am

Hum, no. They can get yeast infection in their ears. Malassezia = no good.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby msvette2u » May 24th, 2007, 10:26 am

Yeah I know - I dealt with yeast for 13yrs. in my Springer's ear. Interestingly his ear wasn't as smelly when it was red and full of pus as it is NOW!???
Maybe I'll bring him along and let her have a look-see in there today if she can. He's been so good - he's starting to itch it now, he rubs it on the post outside :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby call2arms » May 24th, 2007, 11:50 am

Hopefully he didn't go from plain infection to yeast infection. I still say, tape the ears up and air them out!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby msvette2u » May 24th, 2007, 11:53 am

I always thought of the two as being practically synonymous but upon getting vet records from another foster dog's vet (she's deceased now - due to chronic and overwhelming ear infection plus advanced age, our vet recommended euth...) I see that numerous organisms can live there and wreak havoc.
Not to mention he's on Pred. to reduce inflammation and i know pred. can set up for yeast...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 24th, 2007, 1:47 pm

If it smells like bread or yeast then that's what you have. I'm not all that surprised because you weren't able to use a drying ear cleaner on it, so I imagine it has stayed more damp then a typical ear, making it a great spot for yeast to overgrow.

with being aired out and using ear cleaner it *may* go away on it's own...

oh, he may also be itching it because it's itchy from healing, and its less painful, but that smell is a dead giveaway anyway...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 24th, 2007, 4:26 pm

On May 24 2007, call2arms wrote:Hum, no. They can get yeast infection in their ears. Malassezia = no good.

Stop using big medical words. I had to google it.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » May 24th, 2007, 10:03 pm

:lol3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby msvette2u » May 24th, 2007, 11:54 pm

Taking Dudley back tomorrow to have her culture his ear gunk.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby call2arms » May 25th, 2007, 11:28 am

Y-um... Hopefully it will clear up fast! Maybe yeast is a step down from full blown puss-y infection!

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby msvette2u » May 25th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Dudley is at the vet in surgery right now for his ear, and she's got to check one tooth as well. Hopefully she can get the ear cleaned out, basically she's going to "scrub" it inside as much as she can, it's ulcerated but she wants to clean it and see if we can get it dried up some.
Poor Dudley. She has to do bloodwork too (pray for good kidney and liver function!) and he'll need antibiotics still, just not sure which, as she has to figure out what is GROWING in his poor ear!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 26th, 2007, 1:32 am

as I always feel about these things EW, and cool! You HAVE to tell us what Ab's she puts him on, how the bloodwork went, and then take pictures of the surgery ear!
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » May 26th, 2007, 7:51 am

Awwww, poor Dudley!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » May 26th, 2007, 8:14 am

On May 26 2007, Malli wrote:as I always feel about these things EW, and cool! You HAVE to tell us what Ab's she puts him on, how the bloodwork went, and then take pictures of the surgery ear!

Yes! It's sooooo exciting! :bananaDance:

NOT.

(Malli is a geek...)
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » May 26th, 2007, 9:57 am

Well nothing too exciting. Other than she did a slide of his ear and she said there was SHEETS of bacteria. She said "pseudomonas" in there but also mentioned staph and strep in her records.
He's on Baytril ear drops and regular Amoxicillin now, 500mg/2x day.
She said there's hope but doesn't know if his ear will ever get back to normal.
I had interest in him from a lady w/2yr. old twins and I told her, this dog is exceptionally KIND and wonderful and 100% not aggressive, I did tell her I'd be concerned about the kids and his ear but you know, this dog has impressed even the vet with how mellow and sweet he is. She said he let her draw his blood all by herself and without restraint yesterday.
Oh yeah - his bloodwork is GREAT. Perfect! No hint of organ failure!
:bounce:
Now, if his ear can clear up...!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Malli » May 26th, 2007, 2:12 pm

On May 26 2007, iluvk9 wrote:
On May 26 2007, Malli wrote:as I always feel about these things EW, and cool! You HAVE to tell us what Ab's she puts him on, how the bloodwork went, and then take pictures of the surgery ear!

Yes! It's sooooo exciting! :bananaDance:

NOT.

(Malli is a geek...)

On May 24 2007, iluvk9 wrote:
On May 24 2007, call2arms wrote:Hum, no. They can get yeast infection in their ears. Malassezia = no good.

Stop using big medical words. I had to google it.

And, what are you? :cheeky3: :doh: Miss "I had to google Malassezia" ?
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 26th, 2007, 2:19 pm

On May 26 2007, Malli wrote:And, what are you? :cheeky3: :doh: Miss "I had to google Malassezia" ?

You just proved my point, Ms. Medical Geek. Do you think most people know what malassezia is? Google is the friend of NON-geeks, such as myself. :google:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » May 26th, 2007, 2:33 pm

OH, non-geeks ;)
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » May 26th, 2007, 2:55 pm

We should start a geek club. No Joyces allowed. :D

call2arms
Boys Stink

PreviousNext

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members