Norwegian Elkhound Mix?

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

What do you see?

Poll ended at May 30th, 2007, 10:39 am

Norwegan Elkhound mix
17%
Labrador (LOL)
No votes
Something else
83%

Total votes : 6

Postby iluvk9 » May 20th, 2007, 10:39 am

This is is my Bearman, who passed over last April. I saw DempseysPaw's dog, Otis, and couldn't get over the similarity. I always thought I saw a little of Bearman in Fear_the_Sheeple's dog, Caesar, because of his unique coloring and his tail.

Now that I see Otis, I wonder if Bearman was part Norwegian Elkhound.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think?

Bearman

Here is the gorgeous Otis:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » May 20th, 2007, 10:55 am

Husky and Shep/Lab x. It's quite possible neither of his parents were purebred so he has quite a mix...he's gorgeous though!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » May 20th, 2007, 10:56 am

How much did Bearman weigh?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby randi81 » May 20th, 2007, 12:41 pm

I voted for yes, maybe a Norwegian Elkhound mix. Why? Cuz I can! :P
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby iluvk9 » May 20th, 2007, 6:33 pm

On May 20 2007, msvette2u wrote:Husky and Shep/Lab x. It's quite possible neither of his parents were purebred so he has quite a mix...he's gorgeous though!

I always said he was Shep/Husky :|

On May 20 2007, SisMorphine wrote:How much did Bearman weigh?

75 pounds, but you have probably noticed that all my dogs tend to be a bit plump. :oops: He had more fur than fat.

On May 20 2007, randi81 wrote:I voted for yes, maybe a Norwegian Elkhound mix. Why? Cuz I can! :P

AND you can wear a fake ponytail anytime you want! :greenWave:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby DempseysPaw » May 20th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I think he probably had some Lab in him judging from the shape of his head, muzzle and ears and from the size of him I'd say probably another larger breed maybe Alaskan Malamute which would also coincide with the pattern and color of his markings. Also a lot can be told by what kind of personality he had.

I was told that Otis was a German Shepherd/Akita Mix but he's only 50 pounds and not that large plus I'm fairly familiar with both those breeds and his personality just doesn't fit. Then I came across some pics of the Norwegian Elkhound and started reading up on them and e-mailing some owners and concluded that except for his color (and there are some that have a little orange/tan in them) he could be 100% Elkhound. He sure acts like one plus there are other things like the lack of dog odor, the coat etc. But who can say with any certainty? He is after all a mix and that could be 1/2 a dozen or more breeds for all we know.
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » May 20th, 2007, 9:37 pm

I think it was Bearman's coloring that had me so confused. It was a light brown, almost like a deer's. He also had a beautiful silver color even when he was a pup. People always thought he was older because the silver looked gray even at 1 year old.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » May 20th, 2007, 9:41 pm

I can absolutely see Elkhound in Otis (I LOVE me some Elkhound). In Bearman, not so much. I second the Malamute/Lab mix . . . or even a Husky/Golden mix.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby iluvk9 » May 20th, 2007, 9:43 pm

On May 20 2007, SisMorphine wrote:I can absolutely see Elkhound in Otis (I LOVE me some Elkhound). In Bearman, not so much. I second the Malamute/Lab mix . . . or even a Husky/Golden mix.

I think Otis is the first Norwegian Elkhound I have ever seen. He really is gorgeous.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » May 20th, 2007, 9:46 pm

elkhounds are little! I don't see any in either dog :| Maybe Keeshund in Otis?

here is a keeshond:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/keeshond/index.cfm

here is an elkhound : http://www.akc.org/breeds/norwegian_elkhound/index.cfm

also, I think elkhounds are pretty uncommon?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 20th, 2007, 9:49 pm

See??? I told all of you I was better at guessing who was a Labrador and who wasn't.

Bearman will have to stay Shep/Husky in my mind. :) We got him as a puppy from a small rescue who had oodles of mixes.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SisMorphine » May 20th, 2007, 9:51 pm

On May 20 2007, 8:46 PM, Malli wrote:
also, I think elkhounds are pretty uncommon?

I think it depends on your area. I've only ever met two Keeshonds but we have plenty of Elkhounds around here (hence my love for them). I had three as personal clients, and there were a handful of others from when I worked at the vet's offices.

I still see Elkhound and not Keeshond.
SisMorphine

Postby DempseysPaw » May 20th, 2007, 10:13 pm

I'm sorry but I can't see how anyone would look at the three and pick Keeshond over Elkhound. Otis may look bigger in the pictures but he's only 20" at the withers and 50 pounds which is right on for an Elkhound. In fact that AKC link posted describes him to a T. He's about the softest dog I've ever touched and about as odor free as one can get. And his personality is a perfect match also. Here's a pic that might put his size into better perspective but don't let the tail fool you either. The only time it's not curled over onto his back is when he's sleeping. And yes Norwegian Elkhounds are fairly uncommon in a lot of the country but he's originally from upper MI.

DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » May 20th, 2007, 11:06 pm

The "little" remark was in regards to Joyce's dog, Bearman.

its a poll and opinions were asked, so I gave mine. :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DempseysPaw » May 20th, 2007, 11:25 pm

On May 20 2007, 10:06 PM, Malli wrote:The "little" remark was in regards to Joyce's dog, Bearman.

its a poll and opinions were asked, so I gave mine. :|

Sorry about that. I'm just used to people thinking Otis is big from that picture since there's nothing else in it to show perspective, and I totally agree with you about Bearmans size. As for the other I'm sorry if I came across as rude. I didn't mean to. Besides he's just as likely to be a mix of 1/2 a dozen other non mentioned breeds. Whenever anyone asks what kind of dog he is I tell them
"The best kind; he's adopted" or
"100% pure blooded 3rd generation mutt"
DempseysPaw
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » May 21st, 2007, 2:23 am

that's great! :D

breed really doesn't matter unless we're tackling a temperament issue or showing our dogs, anyway ;)

The best breed of dog is the one that loves you.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » May 21st, 2007, 6:17 am

On May 21 2007, Malli wrote:
The best breed of dog is the one that loves you.

That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard anyone say!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members