The "big" shelter...6 dogs...

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2007, 10:59 am

In Pasco...I went there, they are crammed full, with 3-4 dogs in some kennels. I found this guy - he's VERY NIPPY and I might not even be able to save him after I trimmed him. Haven't gotten a new pic but imagine him looking very poodle/Schnauzer - like.
He had such fur mats his butt was plugged up with fur and poo :(

This old girl is said to be 7. She may be older. She's not going to stay but will go to Yakima tomorrow to another rescue. I did bathe and trim her nails. She reeked badly and still could use another bath but I'm exhausted..

I got this puppy too. Newf/GSD mix?? He's very large and needs a bath badly. I'm going to make an appt. in 10 min, to get him neutered. He is adorable, HUGE, and just a baby.

And this dog - not sure if he has Mastiff or what but he has these huge jowls!! He is pretty, and young. He might be going to Yakima, too.
Oh, and he kept me awake half the night, barking and howling.

This is a very strange looking dog, she's very dainty, I marked her as an Italian Greyhound MIX? She has a HUGE deep chest for only weighing 15lbs or so!! She is limping a bit and we are not sure why.

And this is another weird looking dog. She'd been there over a month.
No idea what breed she is!! She might go to Yakima tomorrow too, that is the plan anyway.

And this dog came from Benton City's shelter. She's a Basset and less than a year old. Chipped but the owners never registered!!
:?

msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2007, 11:01 am

Oh and here's the Schnauzer thing - Ash named him "Einstein"...
Pre trim of course...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 16th, 2007, 11:30 am

With luck, that matted dog will feel and act much better once he's shaved down. Poor guy.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2007, 11:33 am

No, he's worse!! I had to DUMP him out of his crate this AM, he kept trying to bite me when I'd reach in! That's not TOO alarming. I hope he can learn to trust :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » May 16th, 2007, 12:22 pm

:shock: Yikes!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Big_Ant » May 16th, 2007, 12:54 pm

On 05/16/2007 7:33 AM, msvette2u wrote:No, he's worse!! I had to DUMP him out of his crate this AM, he kept trying to bite me when I'd reach in! That's not TOO alarming. I hope he can learn to trust :(

I hope that's sarasm? :shock:

If I had to DUMP a dog out of his crate to get him out, the only DUMPing would be on the cold slab steel of a vets office, with the blue juice in my other hand.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 16th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Not everyone is quick to euth a dog that is afraid and in pain. After he is cleaned up & allowed to get comfy he may be a whole new dog.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » May 16th, 2007, 1:25 pm

On 05/16/2007 9:19 AM, cheekymunkee wrote:Not everyone is quick to euth a dog that is afraid and in pain. After he is cleaned up & allowed to get comfy he may be a whole new dog.

That's true, that's just my personal opinion.

I was just looking for clarification on the "That's not TOO alarming" part.

Easy Tig-ressssssssssss!

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 16th, 2007, 1:27 pm

I'm being nice. :twisted:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » May 16th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 16th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Watch out Snappy Neck. :thbbbbt:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2007, 5:22 pm

On May 16 2007, Big_Ant wrote:
On 05/16/2007 7:33 AM, msvette2u wrote:No, he's worse!! I had to DUMP him out of his crate this AM, he kept trying to bite me when I'd reach in! That's not TOO alarming. I hope he can learn to trust :(

If I had to DUMP a dog out of his crate to get him out, the only DUMPing would be on the cold slab steel of a vets office, with the blue juice in my other hand.

- Anthony

Ah well I'm going to give him a couple days to come around. Don't get me wrong, euth. is definitely a possibility.
But had he come from, for instance, an owner surrender, and not in a cage with two VERY LARGE dogs who kept beating him up, and had he not been totally neglected obviously for his entire little life (less than a year old) I'd be quicker w/a needle.
It is alarming but once he got out of the crate, he was fine and did not nip again.
We will see over this next few days how he shapes up.
Hopefully he'll turn around. If not, he won't be adoptable and we'll opt for the needle at that point.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 16th, 2007, 5:26 pm

Wow you have your hands full!! I love the newf/gsd pup and the one that you have no idea what breed she is. The basset at the end is too cute!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » May 16th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Thanks for the Clarification Vette!
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby luvmyangels » May 16th, 2007, 5:34 pm

On May 16 2007, msvette2u wrote:
On May 16 2007, Big_Ant wrote:

- Anthony

Ah well I'm going to give him a couple days to come around. Don't get me wrong, euth. is definitely a possibility.
But had he come from, for instance, an owner surrender, and not in a cage with two VERY LARGE dogs who kept beating him up, and had he not been totally neglected obviously for his entire little life (less than a year old) I'd be quicker w/a needle.
It is alarming but once he got out of the crate, he was fine and did not nip again.
We will see over this next few days how he shapes up.
Hopefully he'll turn around. If not, he won't be adoptable and we'll opt for the needle at that point.

That is so sad that he was so neglected. Where are the other dogs he was with?
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » May 16th, 2007, 5:40 pm

I left them there. One was QUITE aggressive, well I'm positive it was kennel stress, but still. And each extra dog in the pens adds exponentially to the kennel stress. So when we stopped there, the big shaggy one was actually nipping at the director THROUGH the chain link.
It was quite sad.
One was an Aussie type, and shaggy one looked similar to this one, neglected but much MUCH larger and I just...I felt so bad for this kid. He was cowering on the side of the kennel trying to disappear and not have to deal with those two big dogs.
He no sooner got out than he tried to take a dump, alas, his poo-place was sealed almost SHUT with a hair mat and fecal material. His wee-place was the same way.
It's been a while since I've seen a dog in this shape.
I've gotta get pics and show you how much better he looks. Mentally, though, I'm not so sure :(
msvette2u
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » May 16th, 2007, 5:43 pm

On May 16 2007, msvette2u wrote:I left them there. One was QUITE aggressive, well I'm positive it was kennel stress, but still. And each extra dog in the pens adds exponentially to the kennel stress. So when we stopped there, the big shaggy one was actually nipping at the director THROUGH the chain link.
It was quite sad.
One was an Aussie type, and shaggy one looked similar to this one, neglected but much MUCH larger and I just...I felt so bad for this kid. He was cowering on the side of the kennel trying to disappear and not have to deal with those two big dogs.
He no sooner got out than he tried to take a dump, alas, his poo-place was sealed almost SHUT with a hair mat and fecal material. His wee-place was the same way.
It's been a while since I've seen a dog in this shape.
I've gotta get pics and show you how much better he looks. Mentally, though, I'm not so sure :(

Oh how sad. Thank you for all that you do!!
I am "The Rat Queen".

Cookie & Knuckles
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » May 16th, 2007, 7:48 pm

I can't believe he is under a year!! Poor baby, his eyes are so sad. :(

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » May 16th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Awww, that bassett just breaks my heart. Good luck with them all, especially Einstein. (I think thats what I read :oops: )
Jenn
undecided

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 16th, 2007, 10:16 pm

I don't know how you do it...you are an angel

I'll say a prayer for the matted dog
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Next

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members