Do rabie shots

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Romanwild » January 12th, 2006, 10:04 am

make the dog tired for a day or two?

Diamond had one and she's sleeping a little more then usual. Otherwise she is fine. Appetite is fine and still plays hard.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » January 12th, 2006, 11:21 am

I have never had that experience (either with any of my own animals or when I worked at the vet clinic)..but that is not to say it can't happen...
Could be that something was a little different with the shot..or with her this time around.
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 11:24 am

yep. with some dogs the vaccines will make them more tired.. and some will get a raised lump where the shot was given, so dont be alarmed if a lump appears where she got the rabies shot.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » January 12th, 2006, 11:26 am

That's what I figured. I've learneds to not freak out. :stickDance: :rofl:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 11:27 am

do you vaccinate or titer the other ones? i titer everything except the rabies as its a state law.. alot of vets are leaning to titers.. my vet is fine with titering my dogs, especially jesse with her allergies..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » January 12th, 2006, 11:30 am

Do you mean tigers? Or do I have it wrong?

Is that's when they check the bloods to see if the pooch needs an update?

I was going to start that with the next shot needed.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 11:34 am

its titers, yep, they check the blood to see the antibodies..what i usually do is go once a year for the titers. if they are low with something i just bring them around other dogs to boost their levels.. its more of a personal thing to do, i would research it high and low before you decide if you are going to do no vaccines.. i researched everything for almost a year, and decided to go for it. i had to with jesse, her immune system is so screwed up that the vet suggested i do titers with her(i was shocked when he said that) and then i figured, sonny is 10 what kind of shots does he need at that age? and rufus, well, i figured why not go with the flow with him too.. the therapy people accept titers now, which is good. i just have to do the rabies as its a state law. and i have fosters coming in and out, and have not had a problem.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » January 12th, 2006, 11:48 am

I can't remember - what is a general cost for the titers bloodwork to be run..just the test itself (I know it will be different her-just looking for a ballpark) :?:
Candi

pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 11:51 am

my vet charges $60 for the 4 vaccine titers.. some vets are cheaper some more expensive..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » January 12th, 2006, 11:55 am

WOW!
I hope my vet is that cheap...Ct is EXPENSIVE...my vet more than most but I go to him because he rocks! He and his people are awesome with animals.
Candi

pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby concreterose » January 12th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Mine were about $60. This is some info I got from Pookie's nutritionalist on titers:
Titres can be done any time after teething. They only ever need to be done once. If there is ANY reading on the titre, the dog is capable of mounting an immune response to that antigen at any given time. The titre does not have to be redone. Both Ron Schultz & Dr. Jean Dodds (expert in immunology) feel that ANY titre means the dog can mount an immune response because the memory cells never forget. Some vets will look for 1:40 titre levels but that is horrendously high & means the dog was recently exposed to that particular virus. Many of these vets walk hand in hand with pharmaceutical & feed companies and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. If you are looking for a high reading which is not really necessary but if it makes you feel better it is best to get a titre done in the fall as this is most likely when you will get your best reading. Spring and Summer is the most likely time the dog will have been exposed to all kinds of viral/bacterial sources, will mount a response and then show a high titre reading in the Fall.

concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 12th, 2006, 1:36 pm

i have to have titers done every year so rufus can continue with therapy.i dont mind though.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 12th, 2006, 3:09 pm

I will do them every year to just as a safety measure, plus I have to do them for our training club.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Romanwild » January 12th, 2006, 4:29 pm

A vet reccomended them to me. It sounds much better for the dogs. The vet that spoke to me about it says he feels a lot of cancer is do to over vacination.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby JainDaugh » January 13th, 2006, 1:41 am

I remember reading something that was passed on to me in an email regarding how there is a trend to not do as much boostering of vaccines as the immunity is 'set' by the inital shot. I hadn't heard of titering before so will ask our vet what he thinks went we are next there. We just had all that done with Strak and was happy to find that the rabies shot now is good for 3 years instead of 2. Things are changing :D
JainDaugh

Postby Maryellen » January 13th, 2006, 9:00 am

yes, charles, some places did a study and found out that over vaccinating may cause cancer and other stuff.. there is a group on yahoo that is anti vaccine as well, you can check them out if you are going to go that way
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » January 13th, 2006, 10:05 am

Romanwild wrote:A vet reccomended them to me. It sounds much better for the dogs. The vet that spoke to me about it says he feels a lot of cancer is do to over vacination.

The problems attributed to over-vaccination are staggering. In humans there is a good deal of evidence that Autism can be caused or signifigantly worsened by vaccines. Of course, this is denied by the FDA and drug companies but if they ever admitted it could you imagine the flood of lawsuits?

The only reason Ruby is vaccinated is for her therapy work and because we go to dog shows.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » January 13th, 2006, 11:34 am

mnp13 wrote:
Romanwild wrote:A vet reccomended them to me. It sounds much better for the dogs. The vet that spoke to me about it says he feels a lot of cancer is do to over vacination.

The problems attributed to over-vaccination are staggering. In humans there is a good deal of evidence that Autism can be caused or signifigantly worsened by vaccines. Of course, this is denied by the FDA and drug companies but if they ever admitted it could you imagine the flood of lawsuits?

The only reason Ruby is vaccinated is for her therapy work and because we go to dog shows.

The lawsuits would probably be rampant, just like they are with human vaccines and prescriptions---and they should be. Someone should be accountable.
a-bull
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health