Dr. Gupta Blog:Is melamine changing your diet?

Postby cheekymunkee » May 2nd, 2007, 2:33 pm

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging. ... -diet.html

Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Is melamine changing your diet?
For the past two months, pet owners have been wondering whether they were feeding their cats and dogs food that might kill them. That's because the Food and Drug Administration found melamine and melamine-like products in various pet foods. The official death toll for animals is still at 17, and the Food and Drug Administration says it has received reports of thousands more.

Melamine is normally used to make plastics, building supplies and is also used in fertilizer - it was found in wheat gluten imported from China. Cyanuric acid, is a compound similar to melamine, normally used in swimming pool supplies, was found in rice protein, also imported from China. 153 different pet products have been recalled, and it was thought to be an animal problem. However, that changed in the past week, when we learned that the contaminated products had made their way into the human food supply.

Now we know that almost 3 million chickens and at least 350 hogs may have consumed animal feed mixed with this tainted pet food, and these chickens and pork products have made their way into the supermarkets and on to people's dinner tables.

But the FDA tells us they "believe the likelihood of illness after eating pork from hogs [and chickens] that were fed the contaminated product would be very low." You may be wondering, how they can be so sure? The FDA says it's all about "dilution."

I spoke with Dr. Michael Payne, a University of California-Davis toxicologist, who explained that the only studies that show how dangerous melamine can be to animals were done with pure melamine. Those studies found melamine to be 15-35 times LESS toxic than caffeine.

However, pets tend to eat the same pet food day after day, so if the food they eat is tainted, they're more likely build up a concentration and get sick from it. People are different. We eat a variety of foods. First of all, not every meal we eat includes chicken or pork. So here's how the FDA explains it:

Pet food with melamine is already considered diluted (not pure melamine). When the tainted pet food is mixed with the animal feed, it's diluted again. When the chickens or pigs eat the animal feed, and we consume the product, it's diluted another time. And when we digest the food, it's diluted again.

That's why they are comfortable telling us that the risk to humans is minimal.

Have you changed your eating habits based on this latest news? Are you concerned about the possibly having consumed tainted chicken or pork?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » May 2nd, 2007, 4:02 pm

Have you changed your eating habits based on this latest news? Are you concerned about the possibly having consumed tainted chicken or pork?

Not me! I am a vegetarian. :dance: I had my scare when the "spinach fiasco" was going on.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » May 2nd, 2007, 5:44 pm

Yes -- I've checked every label of every food item I've bought since the first recall. Anything with any type of gluten in it goes back on the shelf.

It's awful about the chicken and pork because we eat a ton of it in my house. Since the recall, I've only bought seafood, turkey, and beef.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 2nd, 2007, 8:06 pm

I haven't changed habits...I get all of my meat from local farms and very rarely have any pre-packaged stuff like mac-n-cheese that might have glutens in it...I am going to the buffalo farm this weekend and will ask about the feeds, if any, they give their animals and will ask my poultry farmer on my next chicken and egg run
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 3rd, 2007, 12:47 pm

buffalo farm? We need to talk about getting some bones... what do they do with their scrap?

turkey feed and chicken feed is pretty much the same thing.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » May 3rd, 2007, 3:03 pm

On Thu, May 03 2007, 12:47 PM, mnp13 wrote:buffalo farm? We need to talk about getting some bones... what do they do with their scrap?

I know that, but no turkey farms have been mentioned in any of the articles that I've read.

You guys are lucky that you have farms and organic shops where you can get your food. Nothing like that around here -- the closest I've found is almost an hour away.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 4th, 2007, 7:06 am

On May 03 2007, 12:47 PM, mnp13 wrote:buffalo farm? We need to talk about getting some bones... what do they do with their scrap?

I don't know...here's there web-site, I am sure that they have a TON of left-over parts...I'd be willing to pick-up some stuff and help transport it your way if they have left-over parts at a good price for the people in WNY http://www.gemfarmsbuffalo.com/index.html
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » May 4th, 2007, 11:26 am

our freezers are STUFFED right now, but we might take you up on that in a month or so. I'd like to get alternate protein sources in their diet.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » May 4th, 2007, 6:12 pm

buffalo is so much better than beef, I don't eat cow hardly ever anymore since I discovered the buffalo farm.
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Return to Pet Food Recall