Meet Ulhan (You-lan)

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » February 24th, 2006, 11:10 am

Wow, he is stunning! Poor baby~ thank goodness someone good finally came around in his life!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Romanwild » February 24th, 2006, 11:51 am

He looks like he's a nice doggy!

Good luck! :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 24th, 2006, 12:05 pm

What a beautiful dog!! He's so skinny :(
That injury...OMG. People SUCK sometimes!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Miakoda » February 24th, 2006, 12:27 pm

In many cases, amputating the leg is the best & nicest thing one can do. Once the leg is gone, so is the pain so the dog is able to recoup much faster & get back to enjoying life.

And btw, I LOVE 3 legged dogs! I got Butch, my Dogo, the same way as his previous owner didn't want a "damaged" dog so he left him with us to euthanize him. I was able to call him & get him to come back in & sign him over to me (which I must tell you he was very reluctant to do so since he was such a "valuable" dog & was being given away....I guess in the owner's eyes it was better for the dog to die than be "given" away). Anyways, Butch doesn't have his L front leg but it seems someone forgot to tell him!
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby pLaurent » February 24th, 2006, 12:30 pm

In many cases, amputating the leg is the best & nicest thing one can do.

I agree. Most dogs don't even seem to notice the missing leg and do extremely well, as long as their weight is kept down.

I hope this boy gets the loving home he so deserves!
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DemoDick » February 24th, 2006, 3:09 pm

I've got him on Tramadol several times a day and Deramaxx as well.

If either of those drugs have a sedative effect I will gladly purchase any leftovers you have. Sometimes Connor needs to understand that I'm not here for the sole purpose of keeping him amused. I'm willing to resort to drugs. For the dog, of course.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Violet » February 24th, 2006, 9:26 pm

He is beautiful, Dawn..I am so glad he found his way to you! (and boy do I wish I was on the market for another big dog)
Violet
Loyally Bully

Postby pocketpit » February 24th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Well the radiographs today revealed good news but made my decision a lot harder. The hock is not in a bad way and will heal but the instability is compounded by the ligaments having been sheared away. So the question is will the leg heal and be somewhat useable? I'm all for saving the leg as long as he can get some use out of it but my biggest fear is that I will put thim (and us) through all the bandage changing, cleaning, etc only to find that it still just dangles and would need to be removed anyway.
So I've decided to give a small window of time and see how he progresses. We made up an unconventional splint this time around and he's actually toeing down slightly on a fairly regular basis so I'm holding out some small hope that the hock with stabilize and be useable. The flesh is doing an amazing job of trying to granulate in despite the fact that I was not using wet to dry bandaging because I thought I was just going to amputate.
Here's what it looks like today: MORE GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW!!

Our family had a sheltie years ago that lost a leg to hemangiosarcoma so I know that he can lead a perfectly normal and full life without his leg especially since it's a hind leg vs a front. That's why I had no hesitation about amputating and it was my first thought. However I'd like to give him a shot at keeping it if it can be functional.
I haven't told his former owner that I have him. I'm sure that word may eventually leak out but I have a loophole for the euthanasia decision. Technically since she gave to dog away (sold, I'm sure) he does not belong to her and since his new owners have not shown up, he's a stray :D I didn't even want to broach the subject with her as he's a "valuable French import" (don't fall out of your chair laughing Demo!) with "excellent bloodlines". If there's a buck to be made, she'll try and make it and "everything's for sale for the right price" (her words once to me).
Everyone keep your fingers crossed and I'll be sure to give updates on a regular basis.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby luvmyangels » February 24th, 2006, 10:40 pm

He is stunning. I hope he has a speedy recovery and things will go the way you want them to. Good luck.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Sue » February 24th, 2006, 10:42 pm

He is just beautiful. Good luck with the leg. I'm sure you'll make the right decision. Good luck.
Sue
Bull Meister

Postby CinderDee » February 25th, 2006, 2:55 am

Fingers crossed for a great outcome! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby turtle » February 25th, 2006, 8:58 pm

He is beautiful. I really hope he can keep that leg... I'd hate to see a young dog like this lose a leg.

"Valuable French Import with excellent bloodlines"... so he's a Malinois? He looks a little different than most of the Mals I've seen. Poor guy, to be sold because "everything has a price". People suck.

Fingers crossed that he improves even more and keeps his leg!
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby pocketpit » February 26th, 2006, 1:02 am

so he's a Malinois? He looks a little different than most of the Mals I've seen.

Yes, he's a Malinois. There are a lot of big Mals out there these days and I think his sable coat throws a lot of folks off as well since they are used to fawns. His head is a bit odd in profile, he won't win any conformation awards with it! He's got a strong underjaw with a level bite whereas your typical Malinois has a narrower muzzle and a scissor bite.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby odnarb » February 26th, 2006, 2:01 pm

He's gorgeous Dawn! Poor baby :sad2:

I love his coloring, but I'm rather partial to the dark red sables :wink:
Aimee
Grant the Library Dog
Harry the Hellhound
http://www.odnarb.com
odnarb
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 26th, 2006, 2:59 pm

It does look better! He has such a happy face.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Pit Bull Talk