Homemade Dogfood Recipes Anyone???

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby a-bull » April 24th, 2007, 9:46 am

Does anyone have any homemade dogfood recipes? I'm finding lots of dog cookie recipes, but no actual food recipes . . .

Anyone???
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby InBearsMemory » April 24th, 2007, 11:20 am

This is the "homecooked" meal that I make on occasion. I usually make a big batch and freeze it and defrost a portion as needed.

Basic diet: (based upon 1 serving size for 30-50 pounds body weight)

2 oz Boneless Pork Center Loin Chop (boiled, baked or fried in olive oil)
4 oz Tofu (soybean curd)

8 oz Long Grain Brown Rice (3 oz cooked in 6 oz water)

2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

¼ cup Molasses

2 Whole Carrots (boiled and then cut up)

1 cup Spinach (cooked)

4 Tbs Green Bell Pepper (chopped and steamed)

4 Broccoli Spears (boiled and then cut up)

This diet (1 serving for 30-50 pounds body weight) provides approximately 1160-1460 calories per serving. You can substitute poultry meats, beef and lamb for the pork chop. This will alter the composition slightly, mainly by adding additional fat. The weight of meat is based upon boneless weight. Most of the items can be prepared in a microwave. Based upon your dogs body weight, you will need to make more or less. For example, if your dog weighs 80 pounds, multiply all the ingredients by 1.5 (can be as high as 2.5 times, though), keeping their relative proportions. This is a starting point. You can also make this portion of the diet in advance, aliquot it into appropriate quantities and freeze it for later use. Just before feeding time, remove the diet from the freezer and thaw in hot (or boiling) water or microwave to defrost. To complete the diet, add (amount per serving) before serving:
1 tsp Dry Ground Ginger
2 Raw Garlic Cloves (crushed)

½ tsp Dry Mustard

1 tsp Bone Meal

I got it from the University of Florida’s Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital website a while back. Here is the link:

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/

The recipe can be found under "Integrative Therapy of Dogs with Neurologic & Other Disorders".

Now I don't know how much of a reliable source it is but I have not had any troubles with feeding this. As a matter of fact it smells and tastes so good I would actually eat it myself and the dogs loved it so far. They didn't have any digestive troubles or such either. As with any homecooked diet I find it is all about using common sense. If you don't feel good about feeding a certain item don't feed it. Hope this helps.
Withdrawn a step away, just to find my self.
The door is closed again, the only one left.
This storm that’s broken me my only friend.
InBearsMemory
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » April 24th, 2007, 11:23 am

Oh this is fantastic! Thanks so much for all your effort!

I may try this but with venison. I'm getting spooked by all the dogfood recalls . . . :x
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Malli » April 24th, 2007, 11:28 am

a-bull :) :

many of the vet.diets companies have dog food recipes as well, ask your vet. ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby a-bull » April 24th, 2007, 11:31 am

Oh really? Thanks . . .

Dang, my vet just left my house---I'll have to call her.

My female has food allergies, so it wouldn't hurt to make her food with minimal ingredients anyhow. My main concern is proper nutrition, so I definitely need assistance with this.

:)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Malli » April 24th, 2007, 11:52 am

I did a trial of home cooked diet for Oscar for a while, and let me tell you it is an undertaking.
I think it may be something like you buy the recipe and a couple of dietary supplements to make the nutrition complete, but I'm not sure-I heard of it but didn't learn much more then that the recipes were available...
My main concern was also proper nutrition, I was quite worried that I'd miss a key ingredient and cause some type of deficiency...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » April 24th, 2007, 9:02 pm

I found tons of recipes online. I really didn't like them but these I liked the most.....kind of. :wink: Be sure to add calcium in the form of bone powder to any recipe you use.

Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:

approx. 5 lbs of ground beef or chicken
3/4 cup canola oil
4-5 cloves garlic
32 cups water
8-10 cups processed veggies (various)
(carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, bean sprouts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, red peppers, spinach, beets, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.) NO ONIONS
2-3 cans kidney beans
1/2 molasses (optional)
42-45 oz oatmeal (quick cooking oats)
eggs can be added to boost protein
Dog Food Recipe Directions:

In a large 24qt pot brown ground meat, add canola oil and garlic. When well cooked, add water. Bring to boil, then add veggies that have been processed, (frozen or canned veggies will work too). Use dried kidney beans and soak them the night before preparing a batch of food. While cooking the meat have the beans in another pot cooking them.

Once cooked, they are added to the above mixture. Next, the oatmeal is added. Frequent stirring is necessary at this point as the mixture will stick. Remove from heat, cool and put into containers. you can occasionally add pumpernickel bread and some times substitute brown rice for some of the oatmeal

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:

1/2 cup of either hamburger, ground pork (cooked all the way through), ground chicken, ground turkey, or liver
4 cups rice 1 cup vegetables - choose 1 or more of either sweet potato, regular potato, green beans, carrots, or spinach
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
Dog Food Recipe Directions:

Boil all ingredients together in a large pot. Be sure that if you used pork, it is cooked all the way through.

*OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR VARIETY*
Noodles. Use all the ingredients above, except you boil 1 pound of noodles separately. Mix noodles in with all other ingredients when the ingredients are ready to serve. Italian and Chinese noodles work best!

Doggy Hamburger Helper
1 cup hamburger meat, stir-fried in 1 tbsp canola oil

2 boiled eggs, chopped

½ cup cooked plain oatmeal

1 jar baby food green beans

1 jar baby food carrots

2 Tbsp cottage cheese

Combine all ingredients and serve at room temperature. A good doggy multivitamin/mineral supplement may be added for good measure. Be sure to store unused portions in a covered container in the refrigerator and discard any remains after 3 days.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Doggy Casserole
1 cup boiled poultry, chopped

½ cup cooked brown rice

½ cup boiled mixed vegetables

3 to 4 Tbsp unsalted chicken broth

(Note: Salmon may occasionally be substituted for boiled poultry, with chicken broth omitted.)

Stir together and serve at room temperature. A good doggy multivitamin/mineral supplement may be added for good measure. Be sure to store unused portions in a covered container in the refrigerator and discard remains after 3 days.

Doggy Fish Dinner
1 can of salmon (bones removed)

1 egg beaten

3 Tbsp cornmeal

1 potato

1 carrot

1 stick celery

1 Tbsp peanut butter

Combine salmon, egg, and cornmeal and mix well, form into patties, and coat them with a little more cornmeal. Fry in a tiny amount of canola oil until brown on both sides. Chop patties into small bites and stir together with chopped and boiled vegetables. A spoonful of cottage cheese may be stirred in for moisture if desired. Finish off dinner with peanut butter as dessert
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » April 24th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Oh wow, thanks Debby!

I scrounged around online, but didn't have much success~Thanks for the help!!
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health