Recall ~ Natural Balance Venison DRY

Postby Jenn » April 16th, 2007, 3:46 pm

I didn't see this anywhere posted, sorry if it was.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

NOTICE:
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, we are pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves. Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available.

NO OTHER NATURAL BALANCE PRODUCTS ARE AFFECTED.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » April 16th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Oh, crap!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » April 16th, 2007, 3:54 pm

F*CK!!!!

I just took Harleybird off of that a few weeks ago. That was the only one he DIDN'T puke on.

I only took him off of it because it was easier to give them all the same formula...the ULTRA formula.

:|
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » April 16th, 2007, 4:04 pm

I feed mine the Ultra Premium, except Tucker eats the Salmon & whatever it is allergy formula. I never went with the Venison..... :| Hope anyone that is/was feeding it isn't having the problems mentioned. :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » April 16th, 2007, 4:07 pm

I didn't have problems with Harley while on it...but boy is this scary. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 16th, 2007, 4:38 pm

It is getting more and more scary - I would consider the Natural Balance a good food...
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » April 16th, 2007, 4:43 pm

A week ago they had a message on their site saying they are not connected with the other companies having problems.

I am hoping they are just being overly cautious because owners are being overly cautious and reporting any change or problem they are noticing.

Again. I am totally confused.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TinaMartin » April 16th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Poor doggies! I'm so glad I feed raw food. Good luck every one. :)
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2007, 5:21 pm

This is ridiculous!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby call2arms » April 16th, 2007, 8:51 pm

That sucks, I thought "holistic" foods were safe... Then again, all vet-sold foods were supposed to be safe, and Hill's prescription diet feline m/d as well as medi-cal feline dissolution were taken off the shelves, who knows where it will end...
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » April 17th, 2007, 11:38 am

Its just a supplier for one ingredient that's the issue, so doesn't mean that the food on a whole is bad, the company they were getting this one ingredient from switched sources and voila :(

If you are concerned, perhaps write an email to the company explaining this and asking if they will cover some basic bloodwork at your veterinarians. Alternatively, if you are able to do it you could have bloodwork done on your own, there are some fairly cost effective options that may at least give you an idea, I think the most basic bloodwork you can get at my work at least is called a Pre-anesthetic screen (PAS) and costs about $52 plus I believe a $22 collection fee, so not too much, especially for peace of mind :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » April 17th, 2007, 5:25 pm

On April 17 2007, Malli wrote:Its just a supplier for one ingredient that's the issue, so doesn't mean that the food on a whole is bad, the company they were getting this one ingredient from switched sources and voila :(

Thanks for this.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jeni » April 17th, 2007, 7:34 pm

Natural Balance is not recalling food for the same reason as the other brands - They are thinking it is contaminated with salmonella.
I know that wont make anyone feel better...

We were also feeding NB, but not that particular flavor.
dee de dee
Jeni
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » April 18th, 2007, 1:02 am

hm, but salmonella doesn't cause kidney problems, I don't think? I thought issues would be more like GI upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration from those...

good to know all the same, at any rate, all the other food being recalled is because of that one ingredient I mentioned...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenn » April 18th, 2007, 9:44 am

Update!

http://naturalbalanceinc.com/press_release.html

Consumer Inquiries:
(800) 829-4493
Media Inquiries:
Daniel Bernstein
310-275-0777

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Pacoima, CA -- April 17, 2007-- Natural Balance, Pacoima, CA, is issuing a voluntary nationwide recall for all of its Venison dog products and the dry Venison cat food only, regardless of date codes. The recalled products include Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats, and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food. Recent laboratory results show that the products contain melamine. We believe the source of the melamine is a rice protein concentrate. Natural Balance has confirmed this morning that some production batches of these products may contain melamine.

The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by Natural Balance involving a small number of cats and dogs that developed kidney failure after eating the affected product.

Dogs or cats who have consumed the suspect food and show signs of kidney failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should be seen by a veterinarian. We recommend our customers immediately stop feeding our recalled venison products regardless of date code and return unused product to their retailer for a full refund.

The products are packaged in bags, cans and zip lock treat bags and sold in pet specialty stores and PetCo nationally.
No other Natural Balance products are involved in this voluntary recall as none of our other formulas include the rice protein concentrate.

Although the problems seem to be focused on a particular production period of the venison products, over the last four days we have notified our distributors and retailers by phone and e-mail to immediately stop selling and return all recalled Venison dog foods and treats and the Venison dry cat food. Venison canned cat food is not involved.

The source of the melamine appears to be a rice protein concentrate, which was recently added to the dry venison formulas. Natural Balance does not use wheat gluten, which was associated with the previous melamine contamination.

None of Natural Balance’s other dry formulas, none of our other canned or roll products and none of our other treats are involved with this voluntary recall.

We continue to work closely with the FDA in their ongoing investigation.

Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-829-4493 or email info@naturalblanceinc.com.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jenn » April 18th, 2007, 9:47 am

This too from USA today...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... htm?csp=34

Natural Balance Pet Food Recalled

By Julie Schmit and Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY

The industrial chemical melamine has been found in more pet food, and suspicion is falling on a second pet-food ingredient imported from China as the source of the contamination.
Natural Balance Pet Foods said Tuesday it found melamine in samples of some of its food, which led to a recall. The company suspects melamine was in a rice protein concentrate used as an ingredient, said President Joey Herrick in an interview.

Melamine is the chief suspect related to the Menu Foods recall, first announced four weeks ago for more than 60 million cans and pouches of wet dog and cat food. The melamine in Menu's products was in wheat gluten imported from China and sold to Menu and several other pet-food makers, which also did recalls.

The rice protein concentrate was imported from China by San Francisco-based Wilbur-Ellis. Herrick says the concentrate, which is being tested, is suspected to have melamine, as it was the only new ingredient. Recalled Natural Balance products include Venison and Brown Rice canned and dry dog foods, dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

Wilbur-Ellis CEO John Thacher said his company sold the concentrate to five pet-food makers, but that most of it went to two firms. One of the primary companies was Diamond Pet Foods, which packs some of the Natural Balance product but doesn't use the concentrate in any Diamond-made foods, says Diamond spokesman Jim Fallon. The other major customer, which Thacher would not name, tested the rice protein and found no melamine, Thacher says. Natural Balance's rice protein concentrate is mixed with venison meal, Thacher says.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: China | Food and Drug Administration | Foods | Petcare | Menu Foods | Balance
Natural Balance has received about 10 reports of sick pets, mostly dogs, since Thursday, Herrick says. It started testing the foods Friday, when it also asked retailers to pull the products. As in the Menu recall, some of the pets developed kidney failure, Natural says.

Natural Balance was co-founded in 1989 by actor Dick Van Patten, according to the company's website.

The Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday that melamine is believed to have contaminated rice protein concentrate used to make a variety of Natural Balance Pet Foods products for both dogs and cats. It said Monday that Natural Balance had informed the agency of the issue. Thacher says it told the FDA on Sunday that it had detected melamine in some rice protein concentrate imported from China about a week ago. Wilbur-Ellis has ceased importing the ingredient from the Chinese firm, Binzhou Futian Biology Technology, Thacher says.

Along with Diamond, pet-food makers Nestlé Purina PetCare and Procter & Gamble said Tuesday that they don't use rice protein concentrate in their foods.

No other Natural Balance products include the ingredient, the company says.

Melamine is not allowed in human or pet food. It is an industrial chemical used in plastics worldwide and also sometimes as a fertilizer in Asia, the FDA says.

While melamine is not highly toxic, the FDA is investigating whether it, or something related to it, is responsible for pet deaths in the Menu recall.
Jenn
undecided

Postby iluvk9 » April 18th, 2007, 11:35 am

No other Natural Balance products include the ingredient, the company says.

I am going to believe them. :shock:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » April 18th, 2007, 1:46 pm

melamine is the same chemical that was found in all the other tainted food brands that were recalled.

I don't understand how this is a different recall then the others??
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » April 18th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Now on their website:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/faq.html

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I’ve heard the brown rice is the problem, is this true?

NO. The rice and brown rice are not a problem. The problem is rice protein concentrate that is only used in the four products involved in the recall.

I’ve heard the venison is a problem, is this true?

NO. The rice protein concentrate is the problem, and is only used in the the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, Venison & Brown Rice Canned Dog Food, the Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats and the Venison & Green Pea Cat Food. These are the only products involved in the recall.

What products are affected?

Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
Venison and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food
Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats
Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Formula

What products are NOT AFFECTED?

None of our other products are affected:

Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food
Reduced Calorie Formula Dry Dog Food
Ultra Premium Formula Dry Cat Food
Reduced Calorie Formula Dry Cat Food
Sweet Potato & Fish Dry Dog Food
Potato & Duck Formula Dry Dog Food
Organic Formula Dry Dog Food
Vegetarian Formula Dry Dog Food
Turkey Formula Dog Food Rolls
Beef Formula Dog Food Rolls
Lamb Formula Dog Food Rolls
Beef Formula canned dog food
Chicken Formula canned dog food
Lamb Formula canned dog food
Liver Formula canned dog food
Duck and Potato Formula canned dog food
Sweet Potato & Fish canned dog food
Eatables Irish Stew canned dog food
Eatables Hobo Chili canned dog food
Eatables Southern Style Dumplin’s with Gravy
Chinese Take-Out W/Sauce
Ultra Formula canned cat food
Turkey & Giblets Formula canned cat food
Ocean Fish Formula canned cat food
Venison & Green Pea canned cat food
Chicken &Liver Pate Formula canned cat food
Tuna w/ Shrimp Formula canned cat food
Salmon Formula canned cat food
Indoor Cat Formula canned cat food
Roll-A-Rounds Dog Treats
Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Treats
Potato & Duck Formula Treats
Crunch-E-Bones Treats
Lamb Formula Frozen Loaf
Beef Formula Frozen Loaf
Chicken Formula Frozen Loaf
Raw Chicken Formula
Raw Beef Formula

What products have rice protein concentrate?

Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Formula
Venison and Brown Rice Canned Dog Food
Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats
Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Formula

How did this happen?

From time to time we evaluate our formulas and look for ways to improve them. We recently looked at the Venison dry formulas and thought that adding another protein source would improve the formula. Unfortunately, the rice protein concentrate was contaminated with melamine.

How can we trust your other foods?

We do NOT use rice protein concentrate in any other products in our product line.
We do NOT use wheat gluten in any of our dog or cat foods, except for Crunch-E-Bones, which is being discontinued.

Why don’t you make your own food?

There is virtually no company, large or small in the U.S. that makes 100% of its own food because
There are many expert companies that specialize in contract manufacturing, and we work with two of the best.
These co-packers make the food under contract to the company’s specifications of proprietary formulas.
We have been working with the same manufacturers for over 10 years.

Why aren’t you using lot codes for the recall?

Ignoring lot numbers and date codes is the fastest way for us to get potentially affected product off the shelves.
Waiting for lot numbers and date codes would have been more precise but would have delayed the process.
The Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, Venison & Brown Rice Canned Dog Food, the Venison & Brown Rice Formula Dog Treats and the Venison & Green Pea Cat Food contain the rice protein concentrate that is linked to the problem.

How were you able to act so quickly?

We acted so quickly because our Registered Veterinary Technician/ Customer Service Representative received six calls on April 12th (Thursday) and April 13th (Friday) all from dog families who had started using a “newâ€
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Return to Pet Food Recall