Stupid smurfing Boss

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Maryellen » February 23rd, 2006, 3:57 pm

it just gets better every day now.... the one owner was just diagnosed with SHINGLES..... he went to the dr lunchtime for a rash, was in all morning... and came back to say he has shingles and is leaving for the day and the week... i mean , come on,, call from a cell and say whats wrong, dont come back in...... so i called the dr and the nurse at my dads hospital, asked them if i can come visit.. what is their answer??? NO... I HAVE TO STAY AWAY FOR 3 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they dont want my dad getting it , as his immune system is so low, they are afraid.. which also means i cant see my mom or my brother either for this time, so not to infect them or pass the virus along then they wont be able to see my dad either... i am so smurfing pissed....and of course i had the chicken pox as a kid.. jamie had the chicken pox twice as a kid too..
here is the info the receptionist gave us all:
What is shingles?
Each year, an estimated one million Americans are afflicted with herpes zoster, a painful viral infection commonly called shingles, which is caused by the chicken pox virus. Shingles can develop in anyone who has had chicken pox.
More than 1 of every 10 people who had chicken pox as children get shingles as adults, usually over age 60. The chicken pox virus remains dormant or inactive in nerve root cells of the body.

In some people, the virus "awakens" within the nervous system to cause shingles. Shingles may include a blistering rash and severe burning pain, tingling or extreme sensitivity to the skin, usually limited to one side of the body and lasting about a month.

What causes shingles?
Varicella zoster virus, the same virus that causes chicken pox, causes shingles. This virus is in the herpes family. Shingles is also called herpes zoster.

Shingles is not a new infection; rather, it is a second outbreak of the chicken pox virus. Some of the virus germs that cause chicken pox stay in the body, remaining inactive in the nerve cells near the spine for many years. Then the herpes zoster virus suddenly wakes up from the dormant state and grows. Once active, the germs travel along the nerve paths to the skin, leaving a path of destruction along the nerves in which they travel. The result is the pain and rash of shingles.

Who can get shingles?
Anyone who has had chicken pox can get shingles. That means almost anyone over the age of 5 could eventually get shingles. (A vaccine to prevent chicken pox became available 5 years ago, so today's preschoolers who were vaccinated will possibly not have to worry about getting shingles.)

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 10 to 20 percent of all Americans will have a bout of shingles at some time in their lives.

The varicella zoster virus that stays in the body after a case of chicken pox usually is kept inactive by the body's natural immune system. As people get older, their immune system naturally weakens to some germs, such as herpes zoster. Most people with shingles, therefore, are 65 years or older. Typically, but not always, shingles occurs in elderly people who are in some stressful situation. It is important to realize that just because a person develops shingles, the entire immune system is not necessarily having problems.

It has been estimated that at least one-half of the over-80 population will get shingles at some time. In addition to the elderly, other people with weakened immune systems who are at risk for developing shingles include people with HIV infection or AIDS, some patients with cancer (especially those receiving chemotherapy), transplant recipients, and people being treated with immunosuppressive drugs like corticosteroids.

Is shingles contagious?
Shingles is not contagious. Shingles occurs only when the virus in a person's body becomes active. Contact with an infected person will not cause shingles. However, although shingles is not contagious, contact with a person with shingles could lead to chicken pox in someone who has never had chicken pox and has not received the varicella vaccine.

Does shingles cause other herpes infections?
No. Shingles is caused by a particular type of herpes virus, varicella zoster. This virus does not cause genital herpes infections or cold sores. Varicella zoster virus causes only chicken pox and shingles.

What are the symptoms of shingles?
The first sign of shingles usually is a tingling feeling or itchiness of the skin, which can occur up to 1 week before the rash. Some people have stabbing pain at the beginning, but others have pain only after the rash begins.

When the rash is worst, the pain may be extremely severe. Before the rash comes out, some people are misdiagnosed as having a heart condition or gallbladder attack because of the pain.

The rash begins as a band or patch of raised dots on one side of the trunk, face, abdomen, arms, or legs. The location of the rash is a clue that the infection is shingles. The rash occurs on only one side of the body, like a band or belt. (The word shingles comes from a Latin word meaning belt or girdle, and zoster is Greek for belt.)

The most common sites of shingles are on one side of the chest (front or back, like half of a belt) and on one side of the forehead and scalp. If a person gets herpes zoster in the forehead region, an emergency evaluation with an ophthalmologist is crucial, since the infection can at times cause serious eye problems.

After a few days, the spots become blisters filled with fluid. When the blisters dry out and crust, within 2 weeks, they no longer contain the virus.

A typical case of shingles lasts about a month. However, the pain associated with herpes zoster may continue for months or years in people who develop post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN).

What is the treatment for shingles?
Treatment goals for shingles are to reduce pain and discomfort, to hasten healing of blisters and to prevent the disease from spreading.

Early treatment (within 2 or 3 days of developing the rash) reduces the severity of shingles and can perhaps reduce the risk of developing PHN. A patient with herpes zoster on the face should see a physician immediately, because infection of the eye could lead to blindness.

Because a virus causes shingles, the main treatment is antiviral medication: acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), or valacyclovir (Valtrex). These pills are taken three to five times a day for 7 to10 days. Other drugs such as prednisone may be given to relieve the inflammation. Prescription pain relievers and low doses of antidepressant medication should be given to ease the pain. When the pain is severe, at times a nerve block is ordered.

Is home care helpful for shingles patients?
Sometimes the rash from shingles requires special treatment at home prescribed by a patient's health care professional. Consult with a physician on the appropriateness of home nursing care to determine if skilled nursing care may be helpful regarding instructions on caring for the rash of shingles.

Home care must be ordered by a physician, and there are several modes of reimbursement. Check with the community Visiting Nurse Association regarding specific guidelines for care and reimbursement.

What can be done to reduce the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia?
Unfortunately, there is no treatment that will definitely prevent the occurrence of chronic pain or PHN. However, studies have shown that antiviral medication can lessen the severity and duration of shingles and may reduce the possibility of getting PHN in the future.

http://www.aftershingles.com/shingles.html#contagious
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 23rd, 2006, 3:59 pm

Aw crap. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Maryellen » February 23rd, 2006, 4:01 pm

i know.. i could curse the boss endlessly now.......... he just ruined my visits with my dad...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Romanwild » February 23rd, 2006, 4:50 pm

I can't believe it! That is terrible!

Is he able to speak on the phone?

That's horrible. :(
Romanwild
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » February 23rd, 2006, 4:53 pm

That really stinks!! I am so sorry you can't see your whole family. Hopefully the next 3 days go quickly. People are so selfish sometimes and just don't think.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 23rd, 2006, 5:57 pm

i can talk to him on the phone, but he cant talk much yet as his throat is sore from the ventilator.... stupid boss.....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » February 23rd, 2006, 6:10 pm

I'm sorry ME that is awful :(
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 23rd, 2006, 6:11 pm

what a total jerk. he knew he had something very contageous and came in anyway. way to go.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » February 23rd, 2006, 6:12 pm

not only did he come in, he SHOWED the shingles to one of the girls... asking her if she knew what it was....... IDIOT
Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 24th, 2006, 3:05 am

OMG, what a jerk! I'm sorry, ME. :(
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Purple » February 24th, 2006, 11:27 am

ARGHHH......
Purple
I live here

Postby Judy » February 24th, 2006, 8:12 pm

That stinks.
My grandmother was just in the hospital with the shingles.
Judy
Loyally Bully

Postby justalovepuppy » February 24th, 2006, 11:33 pm

so sorry....
justalovepuppy
Just Whelped

Return to Off-Topic