BSL coming soon to a city near you!!

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby cheekymunkee » February 22nd, 2006, 12:12 pm

What would you do? How close are you to an area with BSL & what do you plan to do if it comes knocking?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jesseca » February 22nd, 2006, 1:09 pm

You know it breaks my heart everytime I even think about it. Summer is such a huge part of the family, plus all the bullies that deserve homes that won't get them. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do. Most likely move to another county if that would help. We are right on a county border so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And fight tooth and nail as well. :D My husband and I have talked about it as well. His love for the dogs doesn't run as deep as mine but he sees BSL as a violation to his constitutional rights, just like if they tried to take his guns away. So it would definatly be a battle my family would take on, but I sure pray we don't have to.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 22nd, 2006, 2:33 pm

We recently had a scare in Salem, MA. Though it's not my town, I am local to it, and spend many days walking around the town (though never in October, that's the hell month!).

We gathered as many people as we could, put up fliers, had reps from different national animal groups, the president of the local APBT club, and respected Salem veterinarians come to the meeting to speak.

We also had posted info about this online with all of the selectmen's email addresses. They got several hundred emails apiece regarding BSL from around the country and were educated on it well before the meeting.

Lucky for us, we didn't even have to fight it. The selectmen, except for the one who brought up the idea, were all opposed to BSL by the time the meeting came around and we won hands down!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » February 22nd, 2006, 5:11 pm

I formed a club and have already fought one battle.

I also utilized the American Dog Owners Association.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby JCleve86 » February 22nd, 2006, 8:47 pm

Well, Federal Way and Auburn, WA have both considered (Auburn has passed) BSL this past week alone. My reaction to it would depend on the ordinance and exactly where it was at. Both cities are close to me, but definitely not affecting MY local ordinances, so I wouldn't have any reason to act any differently (yet). If it happened in my town, it would depend on the law.

For example, Auburn's new law is that all "potentially dangerous" breeds (pit bulls, etc.) have to be registered with the city, no fee. There are no additional restrictions unless the dog attacks, at which point the usual extreme restrictions apply (250K insurance, etc.). I wouldn't own a dog who would pose a risk, so if it were something this simple, I'd stay put, and perhaps send weekly notes to the city council. :D I'm joining the ADOA this week (have to mail in my check and app tomorrow), so I'd definitely contact them and any other big wig org. to legally fight it too.

IF a ban occured, grand-father clauses are always included, even in Ontari-hell. I'd have to think long and hard as to what to do. I would spend a ton of energy fighting it, as I described above, but I don't know if I would move. Puyallup is my home, and my entire family lives here. Unless it was a local move to a nearby city that didn't have BSL, I would probably just keep the dogs I had, continue to fight the ban until my dying days, but stay put. My life is here...I just couldn't move away. IF there weren't a grandfather clause allowing me to keep my current dogs, I would definitely move, no questions asked. I would probably be miserable, but I would move, and probably move back after my evil, evil dogs had passed on.

It's so sad we even have to think about this.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby Romanwild » February 22nd, 2006, 8:55 pm

IF a ban occured, grand-father clauses are always included, even in Ontari-hell.

Not in Colorado! :(
Romanwild
I live here

Postby annieinpa » February 22nd, 2006, 9:34 pm

after this Benji attack in Hazleton, I see bad things coming for all pittie owners. council seeks to revise the dog ordinance so it meshes with state law.

b/c we all know that all pitties are vicious. this disgusts me. :x
annieinpa
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » February 22nd, 2006, 11:24 pm

I live in an island of no BSL. It's actually illegal for Colorado cities to impose BSL, but the cities who have home rule (Denver, Aurora, etc.) have gone BSL crazy. Fortunately the city I live in cannot pass BSL, even if they could they won't. The advantage of living in a growing farm town. Anyway, I don't have a pit bull, but want to make sure there is the possibility to in the future.

The Pit Bull BAND (link in my sig) was formed for pit bull owners as soon as the Denver ban was coming, to let people know what was going on, and forming an "underground railroad" to get pit bulls into a safe place outside the city. There was a number you could call if AC came to your house, to have someone come get your dog. They organized petitions, took legal action, and spoke out. The BAND is still working hard connecting pit bull owners (and dog owners in general) together and fighting BSL. I definitely think that's the way to go if BSL comes knocking. You need some dedicated people to start organizing a group effort. Like what Romanwild did.
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk