Tell us about..........

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby cheekymunkee » January 10th, 2006, 2:58 pm

your puppies. What got you into the breed? What is it about the breed you like? How long have you been an owner? Has your attitude towards bull breeds changed or where you always a fan?

I'll start. My dad always owned pit bulls, always. The breed has been in my family for longer than I have been around ( and that is a loooong time). I grew up with them & never ( still don't) understand the hype surrounding this wonderful breed. Munkee is a decendant from my dad's dogs & he & his sister are the last of the bunch. They have been some wonderful breed ambassadors & every one who meets my dogs falls in love with them. I don't know what life is like with out a bull dog in it & am just learning about other breeds. I thought all dogs were like pitties. I guess people who don't know pit bulls can say the same thing, who knows?

Anyway, tell us your story!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby AllAmericanPUP » January 10th, 2006, 3:15 pm

When i worked at a vet about 4 or 5 years ago i met a pit named toby, he was blue and white and gorgeous, very athletic boy! he could jump 6 feet in the year from a stand point. he was a love bug too. my dad told me you cant trust those pits they'll turn on ya and kill ya :roll: Fast forward about 2 or 3 years later and my sister is dating this loser who's brother has a pit bull and he breeds her on her first heat to the neighbors pit bull thinking he can make about a thousand bucks off the pups..she had 12 puppies and ate 6 of them...josh(my sisters then boyfriend) kept one male..named him Eli....he left Eli with me alot and sometimes for days at a time...i paid for eli's food and toys and collars....the only thing josh actually paid for was eli's parvo treatment.....then when eli was like 4-5 months josh enrolled into the army(kicked out one month later) and left eli with me..promising to send money for food and stuff...never saw a penny and I told Josh he wasnt getting Eli back..he didnt deserve him! he wasnt nice to eli and he wanted to give him steroids to make him big and tough :roll: and he wanted to breed eli to make money...eli is now 2 years old and he's my baby boy..i love everything about the breed except animal agression :lol:
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby cheekymunkee » January 10th, 2006, 3:24 pm

How can anyone not be nice to Eli??? You can tell by his pictures what a sweety he is. If you ever see that guy again kick him in his no-no spot just for me.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » January 10th, 2006, 3:25 pm

I love reading these stories!

My first encounter with a pit bull was in 1987. He was the coolest dog I'd ever seen. He climbed a tree and hung from a log as he was spun around in the air! He also licked me to death!

I asked him what kind of dog he was and he saids pit bull. That was the first time I had ever heard the phrase.

A few months later Newweek did a cover story on the killing machines that had locking jaws and could still chew with the back teeth. (yes, it was newsweek). I didn't believe it.

Years later I'm single and able to get a dog so I start researching. I took those online tests that tell you what breeds would be best for you. Pit Bull kept coming up. I did my homework and got Dreyfsus.

Best dogs EVER and worth fighting for. :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Maryellen » January 10th, 2006, 4:14 pm

I dated a guy 15 years ago and he had a pit bull. the most gorgeous brown brindle i have ever seen.. that dog was awesome. i asked him what kind of dog he was, and he said pit bull.. i was in awe.. flash forward .. got married, got a house, decided to get a dog.. did alot of research, started out with a gsd, then added a rott (i live in the woods) then said, i want my dream dog.. got a pit bull at 2 months old 3 1/2 years ago, and its been great ever since. my folks said my pit would kill me and eat my dogs, boy were they wrong. it took them 2 weeks to fall in love with my rufus, and its been full steam ahead since then. i have gotten alot of flack from family members about him, and some are fine with him. i have also gotten flack from strangers too.. oh well, their loss.. i have owned the breed now for almost 4 years, and i wont go to any other breed but the pit bull. their loyalty is amazing, they will do whatever you want, and love to show affection. i have always liked the under dog per say, and by having a pit bull finally has just reaffirmed my love for the breed. i do therapy work with my pit bull so that i can change one persons mind one at a time..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » January 10th, 2006, 4:23 pm

I always knew about Pit Bull's but never personally had one until Knuckles and Petey (foster) came to me this past August. I had heard all the bad hype and was not sure if I wanted one....until Knuckles melted my heart. I then educated myself about the breed and in the process made some new friends that have been helping me along the way. I am both honored and proud to be a Pit Bull owner.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby girlie » January 10th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Sadly Sugar was basically dumped in lap at 6wks........being a mom i can't allow anyone to suffer, so i've learned all i can and continue to do so.....that and my guy has many many many ABPT.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » January 10th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Our Katy Scarlett O'Hara was found wandering the streets of an inner city when she was very young and ended up in a rescue organization called PAWS (http://www.pawsct.org). My husband and I decided our older shepherd mix needed some company because we worked a lot, so we ended up at PAWS looking for a rescue. When they brought in Katy, she rocketed towards us and velcroed herself to my husband's leg. Well, that was almost 11 years ago and she's still going strong, except for some spinal arthritis.

Indian Jones was abandoned in a dumspter when he was just 3 months old, and rescued by animal control who brought him to PAWS. PAWS brought him to the vet hospital (where I was working at the time) because he had the worst case of Demodex mange they had ever seen -- he was virtually hairless and the secondary infection caused his skin to break open and bleed every time he moved. I brought him home for a "visit" about a month after he arrived at the hospital, and he never went back. It's now 6 years later and he's fat, happy, and full of hair!

Short Round (aka Shorty) was found in a locked van in the middle of August right around the time of the Northeast's Blackout. It was about 95 degrees and 100% humidity and her "family" had kept her in the van because the landlord wouldn't allow her in the apartment. A passing police officer rescued her and brought her to the local rescue, and I saw her photo on their website. She's a tiny "pocket pit" and is about 3 years old.

Sepmer Fi Mac was dumped as a puppy at a rescue in NY. His two teenage owners' mom said No Dogs! He may have been used as a "bait dog" by those same teenagers because, when I adopted him, he was covered in scars and scabs at the tender age of 4 months. He still bears some horrible scars around his neck and he's two years old.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Maryellen » January 10th, 2006, 5:09 pm

pictures please post in the gallery of your group..... no wait, pictures are a MUST to post in the gallery...PLEASE :D
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 10th, 2006, 5:32 pm

My earliest memory of the breed was when I was a little girl, maybe around 8 or 9. My mom used to take me over her friends house (this was in the eighties) who had two pits, brindle, muscular dogs. They looked just alike, a male and a female. I remember they would always be on this guys couch and we would run to the couch to sit with these big snuggly slabs of muscle. They would lick and nuzzle us, and I always hated to leave. I know they were a male and a female, because I remember hearing about him talking about breeding them, but they were ALWAYS together. As I got a little older, my sister's aunt had a pretty white pit with a brindle eyepatch named Sadie. She was the sweetest dog that slept in the bathtub, but they used her as a money source...she was ALWAYS pregnant. I remember her kids used to ride her like a horse.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby BullyVW » January 10th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Ralph was an accident in all respects.

First off, he was a neighbor's accident. The young family had a pit bull female and their friends had two males...and because they thought it was a good idea, the dogs would play with eachother often. Well, the female got pregnant (and also convinced the owner to "breed" more :evil: ).

We were called over to the house of my ex's cousin...she has just "adopted" Ralph's sister. We fell in love with her right away...and were pointed to the house hearing that we had more puppies. We decided to take Ralph home.

Now, me having a pit bull was an accident as well. When he was born, we were clueless. We were told he was a bull terrier...and although he looked nothing like the target dog, I smiled and shook my head.

A little research and a few hours later, we found that we had a beautiful young pit bull pup. He is absolutley lovely at this point. He's very loving and willling to show and accept affection from anyone. My positive experience with Ralph led me on my way to rescue.

Also, since all the people in my neighborhood thought Ralph was perfect...I became the resident pit bull "expert."

So, when 2 dogs that were being bred to fight were...um...."rescued," it was up to my gf and I to find them homes and work with them. Well, they're both full grown pit/boxer mixes with great owners.

And then there's Ruby. She was found as a dirty, underweight pit bull walking the back alleys of Allentown, PA. She seemed scared at first, but once the car door was opened, she ran right in. I guess it was fate. Two days later, she was given to me...where we fed her, debugged her, and brought her back to health. In all, she was with me for almost 6 months until the right owner came along. Currenlty, she lives in Florida, loving the ocean and the clean air. I miss her daily.

I will never have a household without a pit-type dog. Just remember, pit bulls love like no other, and a dog never lies about love.
BullyVW
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ammitnme » January 12th, 2006, 4:00 am

OK...these stories made me cry. Ya know...I get so hardened working with the anti-BSL stuff..because to be effective you have to "turn off" the dog and focus on the human. So thank you all for sharing. I really needed to hear about how deeply the love for this breed runs in us all.
My Ammit is twelve yrs old. Cancer and cruciate problems. She came to me at 4 or 5 weeks old...her litter was being drowned in a five gallon bucket by the BYB owner, as he was leaving town and didnt want to take the pups with the parents. I had never seen a pit bull...had heard very little about them and she has been my heart dog from the first puppy breath bully kiss from her wiggly little red brindle body.
LT is a rescue shepherd cross who is now 14, and has been with me most of her life, very shy and subbmissive. Her life must have been hell to create such a mass of insecurity. She tolerates me and on occasion my family. Lucy is a maltese cross dust mop who is THE alpha, and has been seen hanging from a rott-n-pup's face growling as he tears thru the house, stub tucked...LOL. Bennie is my year old Rottie. What a trip this breed is. I have been spoiled by the total love and compliance of my Ammit. Enter Mr. Attitude Rottie. What an endearing, intelligent breed..but he seems so stellar opposite of the sweet and soft bully in my life.
And darned if I can remember how to post a picture on a forum...LOL or I would share my babies...the "Iowa Pack"...
Leisa[/img]
ammitnme
Just Whelped

Return to Pit Bull Talk