My brother.............

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby cheekymunkee » February 22nd, 2006, 10:23 am

Romanwild wrote::ROFL2:

I feel fine with a 12 gauge for home defense. I don't have to aim it, just point.

I just wish I could saw it off. :rolleyes2:

I can't decide what my first handgun should be. (Please don't tell me a .22) :wink:

Deb, that's a pretty gun. :backRoll:

No, it's CUTE!! :D
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » February 22nd, 2006, 12:52 pm

I can't decide what my first handgun should be. (Please don't tell me a .22)

Get a medieum frame, 4 inch revolver from a reputable company and shoot the hell out of it. Caliber is up to you, but if it's going to be used in any defensive capacity make sure the caliber starts with a 4.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Big_Ant » February 22nd, 2006, 1:16 pm

DemoDick wrote:
I can't decide what my first handgun should be. (Please don't tell me a .22)

Get a medieum frame, 4 inch revolver from a reputable company and shoot the hell out of it. Caliber is up to you, but if it's going to be used in any defensive capacity make sure the caliber starts with a 4.

Demo Dick

Any particular reason the caliber should start with a 4 if the gun will be used in a defensive capacity???

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » February 22nd, 2006, 1:20 pm

DemoDick wrote:Michelle is always freaking out when I show up at her house and leave stuff lying around. Apparently a Beretta on the coffee table is not the "conversation piece" I always thought it was.

I don't 'freak out'. I just don't think guns belong on the desk in the computer room or on the coffee table. Put it away if you're not going to keep it on your belt.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby DemoDick » February 22nd, 2006, 1:27 pm

Yes. In general, .40 caliber handguns (including .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .44 magnum, etc.) are ballistically superior to their smaller counterparts (.357, .38 Special, .357 SIG, 9mm). I like a big bullet, even if it is going a little slower. Big bullet=big hole. Smaller, hotter rounds tend to punch through the target instead of spending their kinetic energy doing tissue damage.

In the eighties the U.S. Military went to the Beretta 92F 9mm. Soldiers weren't happy. Sure they carry a ton of ammo in the magazine, but you have to shoot the bad guy too many times. Special Forces have been relying on variations of the 1911 Colt in .45 since forever ago. Except for he SEALS who did carry a few .357 revolvers in Vietnam, but I believe that was due to the environment and the availability of stainless finishes.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
DemoDick

Postby DemoDick » February 22nd, 2006, 1:31 pm

I just don't think guns belong on the desk in the computer room or on the coffee table.

You also once told me "You can't shoot guns in the house!". Proved you wrong there too. :)

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Big_Ant » February 22nd, 2006, 1:33 pm

What do you think about a Desert Eagle .50 for defensive use? Not so much for daily defense outside of the home, but more for in home protection?

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 22nd, 2006, 1:33 pm

DemoDick wrote:
I just don't think guns belong on the desk in the computer room or on the coffee table.

You also once told me "You can't shoot guns in the house!". Proved you wrong there too. :)

Demo Dick

That reminds me! My best friend put her house on the market last year, one of her comments to me was "I guess that means I will have to patch the bullet holes". :|

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » February 22nd, 2006, 1:36 pm

Or, if you have a recommendation. Here's what I like and don't like;

DON'T LIKE:
Revolvers
Short Guns

LIKE:
Stainless Steel
Desert Eagle Style Guns

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby DemoDick » February 22nd, 2006, 1:42 pm

What do you think about a Desert Eagle .50 for defensive use? Not so much for daily defense outside of the home, but more for in home protection?

Way too much gun. It blows a nice hole in the bad guy, but then has a tendency to go through other things like walls and sleeping family members. Plus the recoil is going to limit any follow up shots (should you need one).

Can't beat an 870 with a Surefire for home defense. The sound of the action alone will solve most problems for you. Plus, as Charles wrote, you don't have to aim, just point. Tactical buck has limited penetration as an added bonus. And nothing makes a mess of a bad guy like a shotgun.

I don't like a handgun for home defense, but if I had to choose one I'd go with a Kimber LAPD SWAT with a tac light.

Most gunfights happen in low-light or darkness. Having an available flashlight is second on my list next to having a gun. Third is a cell phone so I can call 911 before all hell breaks loose.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Big_Ant » February 22nd, 2006, 1:50 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about! That Kimber is nice.

Yeah. I probably wouldn't have gone with the Desert Eagle just because of it being so big. The recoil didn't cross my mind though, but glad you pointed it out.

So where does one find those Kimbers for sale? All I could find via google was reviews and images of the gun, but I couldn't find any gun dealers.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby DemoDick » February 22nd, 2006, 2:20 pm

Go here:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/index2.php

Type in your ZIP code in the white box and the website will find you a dealer. Have fun.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby Big_Ant » February 22nd, 2006, 2:38 pm

Thanks. I found some local dealers, so I'm going to start looking into it.

One of the things that I would like to do in the future is to get a CCW Permit, but I know that California is pretty rough on issuing them unless you have tons of cash, and are 'IN' with someone in the departments.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Romanwild » February 22nd, 2006, 5:37 pm

DemoDick wrote:I like a big bullet, even if it is going a little slower. Big bullet=big hole. Smaller, hotter rounds tend to punch through the target instead of spending their kinetic energy doing tissue damage.

In the eighties the U.S. Military went to the Beretta 92F 9mm. Soldiers weren't happy. Sure they carry a ton of ammo in the magazine, but you have to shoot the bad guy too many times. Special Forces have been relying on variations of the 1911 Colt in .45 since forever ago.

I love the colt .45 for stopping power. Never did undserstand why they got away from them.

What would you use as a hunting pistol?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » February 22nd, 2006, 7:48 pm

Romanwild wrote:I got to hold a desert eagle .50 cal. :mindblowing:

I have no handguns.....yet. :devilWink:

Deb, you guys sound like the stereo typical Texans! :biggun: :ROFL2:

I shot 100 rounds out of a DE over the course of 2 days, and yes, it was pretty impressive! Between the price of a DE, and the cost of rounds, I would never purchase one though. In my opinion, they just aren't practical. I consider DE's a Hollywood gun.

Deb, you guys sound like the stereo typical Texans! :biggun: :ROFL2:

Rednecks! :lol3:
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » February 22nd, 2006, 7:52 pm

love the colt .45 for stopping power. Never did undserstand why they got away from them.

Just to be anal, the .45 Colt (or properly the .45 Long Colt) is not the same as the .45 ACP. The .45 Long Colt is a rimmed revolver round, popularized by cowboy revival movies in the 1950's. The .45 ACP is a rimless cartridge designed for use in semi auto pistols, the most famous of which is the Colt model 1911. The Colt .45, on the other hand, has quite a bit of "stopping power", and can be easily verified by picking up a bottle at fine liquor stores. Bille Dee was on to something when he said "It works every time." :)

What would you use as a hunting pistol?

Depends on the game. For deer, I would go with a .44 magnum. It was developed by Elmer Keith for just that purpose and performs quite nicely. Ballistically, it is very similar to the .30-30 Winchester which many consider to be the ultimate moderate range deer cartridge. I would add a scope to the package as well.

Now, if your talking handguns chambered in rifle rounds, I would get my hands on a Contender in .308 Winchester. It's hard to beat ballistically, and the recoil is worth the performance. I once shot half a box of ammo through a Contender in .30-06, and I probably won't be doing that again. It took me six months to get over the flinch I developed as a result.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby cheekymunkee » February 22nd, 2006, 8:06 pm

Rednecks!

I am sooo kicking your ass!!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Blitzkrieg Staffords » February 22nd, 2006, 8:42 pm

gf turtle wrote:No kids here so we have revolvers under most sofas and under the bed in this house.

No kids here either, but I still don't see the need to have guns stashed all around my house. I keep a Sig P228 downstairs in the kitchen, as that is the central part of my downstairs, and all of the rest upstairs in a case. Are you dealing drugs, are you just an extremely paranoid person, or do you live in a really bad part of town? :|
Blitzkrieg Staffords
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » February 22nd, 2006, 8:49 pm

Are you dealing drugs, are you just an extremely paranoid person, or do you live in a really bad part of town?

Maybe she just likes the comfort of knowing that should someone break in there's a deadly physical force option pretty much wherever she is. Makes sense to me.

Then again, I get to see real home invasions several times a year. Most are drug related, but some have legitimate victims.

Michelle's Dad knows a Holocaust survivor that keeps a loaded gun in every room. His reason? "They'll never take me again." Perception is reality.

Demo Dick
DemoDick

Postby cheekymunkee » February 22nd, 2006, 9:28 pm

I've had people walk in my house on more than one occasion...while my daughter & I were home. The rooms that did not contain a gun at that time had a billy club and a baseball bat. At that time I lived in apartments & had only one door & few windows and always on an upper floor. I have since lived in houses that contain easier to get to windows & more doors. The last person to force their way into my home was on crack. Had my pistol been in the same room I was in he would not have walked out. As it was he forced the door open on an 8 year old child, I had to leave the room to get my gun ( it was in my bedroom) and I left her there with him for a few seconds. Luckily nothing happened to her but the 'what if" played heavily on my mind & my decision to get a few more guns. I got a .32 automatic from my brother. He moved in with us a few years later & the other guns we have are all his. I've also had people open my car door & start to get in. I have had people climb halfway into my car window. I used to carry large amounts of cash for a company I worked for & i started carrying a pistol then. It's not that I have lived or do live in bad neighborhoods, I live in a city where crime is rampant.....no matter which side of town you live on. It's not being paranoid, its reality.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic