dog food recall

Postby cbow » March 16th, 2007, 5:54 pm

cbow
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » March 16th, 2007, 7:02 pm

holy crap!!! And people wonder why I refuse to feed my dogs processed dog food.

Pet deaths prompt recall of pet food

By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6 throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site — http://www.menufoods.com/recall — early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.

The company alerted the
Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

___

On the Net:

Food and Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov/
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Sue » March 17th, 2007, 7:43 am

Sue
Bull Meister

Postby iluvk9 » March 17th, 2007, 9:39 am

Yikes! I just called my Vet to give him the list of foods. He said he just heard about it, but didn't have the specific brands. Thanks, Sue.

BTW- If you click on the red brand names, you can get to the list of affected UPC numbers.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby HappyPuppy » March 19th, 2007, 6:46 pm

So...they CONTINUE "testing" the bad food and kill 7 more! I can't believe they'd continue to test feed potentially bad food on live animals.

Tests of suspect pet food killed 7, FDA says
Eukanuba, Iams, Nutro and store brands tied to kidney failure, deaths

"During those tests, the company fed its product to 40 to 50 dogs and cats and some seven animals — the mix of species was not immediately known — died, Sundlof said. The contamination appeared more deadly to cats than to dogs, he said."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/wi ... 3?GT1=9145

HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 20th, 2007, 8:41 am

Yikes! The story that just aired on the Today show just referred to Eukanuba as a "high end" food
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2007, 8:51 am

I am bad I had a few cans of the Authority wet food that I was using to mix with my dry food (Solid Gold) with Knuckles herbs. The one can I have left was not affected but some of the cans I had were. But we have not seen any of the signs. Typically I get Merrick wet but I ran out and needed something. Obviously this is a lesson.

Someone that is an acquaintance had major issues with her dog because it was throwing up and brought it to the vet and it was in kidney failure. The dog is ok now but on a lot of medication.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby randi81 » March 20th, 2007, 11:39 am

On March 20 2007, 7:41 AM, SpiritFngrz wrote:Yikes! The story that just aired on the Today show just referred to Eukanuba as a "high end" food

martha stewart said that, too. she said something to the effect of "oh and it was GOOD brands of dog food, too! iams, eukaneuba..."

:rolleyes2:
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 20th, 2007, 2:30 pm

I think people are just truly uninformed. They think those are great foods because they are the most expensive ones at Stop & Shop. :|
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby luvmyangels » March 20th, 2007, 2:58 pm

There paid to say that. Many of these companies are sponsors. Plus the amount of advertisement they do on the networks. Many people do not know about the better foods because they do not advertise like the major companies do plus veterinarians are paid by the major companies to push their foods.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » March 20th, 2007, 3:33 pm

On March 20 2007, luvmyangels wrote:There paid to say that. Many of these companies are sponsors.

Yah, that's what my husband said. More than likely that's true.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Return to Pet Food Recall