Pitbull(muzzle broke) attacks Shih tzu-Toronto, Ontario

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Jp » February 15th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Animal Attack

A pill bull owner will not face charges after her dog attacked and killed a Shih Tzu Tuesday night.

The animal apparently broke free of its muzzle while out for a walk with its owner at about 10pm near Danforth Rd. and Midland Ave. in Scarborough. It lunged at the Shih Tzu, then bit that dog’s owner in the arm and leg when they tried to save their pet.

Animal control officials took charge of the pit bull following the attack, but police say the owner won’t be charged since the dog was wearing a muzzle in accordance with the province’s new pit bull legislation.

The laws, passed last summer, require that all pit bulls be muzzled in public. Any violation of the law can lead to fines, imprisonment, or the animal could be taken away or destroyed.

It’s unclear what will happen to the dog, given that the laws were adhered to in this case.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/2 ... 3/page.asp

Updated Article:

Dog Danger

It was the kind of horrific scene the province’s controversial pit bull ban was supposed to eradicate, but there it was in the light of day for all to see -- a trail of blood and two discarded puppy boots -- the sad remnants of a pit bull attack that claimed the life of a Shih Tzu on Tuesday night.

Despite the ferocity of the attack, charges won’t be laid against the female dog owner because apparently the animal in question was indeed wearing a muzzle, but somehow tore through the device in a frenzy of aggression.

The incident took place at around 10pm near Danforth Rd. and Midland Ave. in Scarborough. The pit reportedly lunged at the Shih Tzu and also bit its owner, a man in his 40’s, before finishing off the fatal attack on the much smaller dog.

The animal was seized by authorities and taken to animal services, but the female owner of the dog wasn’t held responsible.

A day later, neighbours suggested that she should have been accountable for the attack.

When asked if the dog (like the one pictured, top left) was indeed muzzled, witness Sherry Hegland responded without hesitation.

“No,” she said. “I'm positive (it wasn’t muzzled). It doesn't make sense (that she’s not being charged).”

Others contend the same dog has been problematic in the past.

“It almost went after my dog on the 16th floor, and I actually told her that she should have it muzzled and she said, ‘it doesn't bite,’" said Cindy Titus.

Animal Services is continuing its investigation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can watch the video at this link:
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/2 ... 3/page.asp
Jp
Just Whelped

Postby Jesseca » February 15th, 2006, 8:37 pm

:(
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby luvmyangels » February 15th, 2006, 9:52 pm

What a shame. :cry:
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Malli » February 17th, 2006, 9:33 pm

but somehow tore through the device in a frenzy of aggression.

thats lovely. not the muzzle somehow broke? No, it tore through the device in a frenzy of aggression.

before finishing off the fatal attack on the much smaller dog.

Had this been a golden, the article would have read "the smaller dog, a Shih-tzu, later died from its injuries" I'm sorry, I'm sorry for BOTH dogs, but I'm just a wee bit bitter here, and no, I can't simply get over it, its blatant propaganda. All dogs have the same thoughts and intentions (depending on the individual) its not like this particular breed is a frenzied, angry killing machine :x

rant rant rant.

sorry :rolleyes2:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby CinderDee » February 19th, 2006, 6:33 pm

:(
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby JCleve86 » February 20th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Um...I guess I'll ask the obvious question...what happened to the leash? Seriously...if you can't control a pit bull or other strong breed, you shouldn't have one. This is totally the owner's fault.

Of course the paper sensationalizes it, but if the owner were responsible in the first place, the paper wouldn't have had a story to write and that Shih Tzu would still be alive.

Once again, it comes down to RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP. How do we EVER expect the public to accept our dogs when we can't even keep them under control?
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL