Yeasty Ears

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Jesse has food/air allergies.. she can not have anything with chicken,turkey, corn,wheat , rice and soy in it. which limits her food brands to timberwolf elk, bison, ocean blue. her ear is yeasty most of the time.. i clean her ear all the time.. apple cidar vinegar and water, ear cleaner, etc... besides feeding her cardboard, i dont know what to do anymore.. the vet said her one ear is getting worse , and as time goes on he said the scar tissue will get to the point where she might go deaf... so far, i am doing preventative meds onher, the ear cleaning, watching what she eats, and prednisone... i notice that when i go off her TW her ear gets worse.. so she must stay onthe TW or a no grain/no chicken/turkey diet.... she was gettng the canned merrick for a while, but now i have to go back tothe TW permanently, or try the natures variety venison.. i feel so bad for her..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby concreterose » January 26th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Maryellen wrote:Jesse has food/air allergies.. she can not have anything with chicken,turkey, corn,wheat , rice and soy in it. which limits her food brands to timberwolf elk, bison, ocean blue. her ear is yeasty most of the time.. i clean her ear all the time.. apple cidar vinegar and water, ear cleaner, etc... besides feeding her cardboard, i dont know what to do anymore.. the vet said her one ear is getting worse , and as time goes on he said the scar tissue will get to the point where she might go deaf... so far, i am doing preventative meds onher, the ear cleaning, watching what she eats, and prednisone... i notice that when i go off her TW her ear gets worse.. so she must stay onthe TW or a no grain/no chicken/turkey diet.... she was gettng the canned merrick for a while, but now i have to go back tothe TW permanently, or try the natures variety venison.. i feel so bad for her..

My neighbors gsd/pit mix ears are the exact same way. She feeds her crappy food though, i keep trying to convince her to change it. It's been going on for like two years and she has little cauliflower looking things in her ear now. I though ACV wasn't good for yeasty ears because of the sugar? I may be wrong though. I use Halo ear wash for the girls, it works pretty well. Vicki's ears bother her sometimes too.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 26th, 2006, 9:50 pm

she is on the TW, but i was giving her a treat the past week and gave her the canned merrick.. my fault... if i deviate from the TW this is what happens.. the apple cidar vinegar is in a ear cleansing formula i got at http://www.botanicaldog.com that has all natural ingredients, organic lavendar,chamomile, castor seed oil, vegetable glycerin, organic aloe vera juice, organic apple cidar vinegar, witch hazel, grapefruit seed extract, vitamin E, essential oils of organic lavendar and chamomile.. everything else burns her ear and makes it really red when i am done. this one is the only one that doesnt bother her after i use it in her ear...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby satanscheerleader » January 26th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Tanks ears are a little senstive as well. I haven't found any specific cause food wise but honestly I think it's because of his drop ears. When they get irritated, I have taped them back to his head so they are open to air and they clear up within a day or two. I have an ear solution from the vet that seems to help if I use it once a week.
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby a-bull » February 18th, 2006, 10:50 pm

My girl has ongoing yeasty ear problems due to allergies, (probably food), which can escalate into bacterial infections in the ear.

Any obvious ear infection should be treated with an antibiotic to bring it back under control and avoid permanent ear damage. The catch 22 with that is that long term antibiotics can actually cause yeast overgrowth. So, you want the minimal amount of antibiotic to clear up the infection.

I have found the Merrick dry kibble (Buffalo, Venison & Salmon) and a vegetarien wet food (Nature's Recipe), to be the only foods that have been o.k. with my girl---and I only say o.k.---not perfect, for sure.

I have a great ear drop that you can use if you see the ear becoming red or itchy. It's prescribed by the vet, and it's anibacterial, antifungal & antiviral. You use it for 7-10 days, and it works like a charm. It brings the itching right under control and chills the redness, etc. immediately, (because it has some cortisone in it). This stuff works great to prevent the problem from becoming a full blown infection. My girl will actually come up to me when she sees me get the bottle out knowing if I treat her ears that the itching will stop.

In between all this ear construction :) I clean her ears regularly with medicated ear wipes. I've tried all the natural stuff, but nothing keeps things under control like the medicated ear wipes. (There are all different brands).

I hear there is some tablet you can give your dogs for ongoing yeast problems. I'm going to look into them and give it a try. I'll let you know, because I tried the vinegar in the food etc., and my girl then refused to eat, lol

Hope this helps a little. :)
a-bull
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 18th, 2006, 11:07 pm

jesse cant eat anything but the timberwolf or her ear gets really bad. her ear drops have a steroid in them but with her airborne allergies and food allergies its a never ending battle.. she already has scar tissue build up in her ear unfortunately.. i use everything i can, and i am going to see how good millicents link is , maybe that will help.. the ACV actually made her ear worse:(
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » February 18th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Try cleaning her ears out with . . . I believe it's Jasmine oil. I'll have to check with the day manager on Tuesday. Her male Rottie has yeastie ears too, no matter what he eats, so she uses this oil to clean them and it keeps them under control a bit better. I think it's jasmine, but like I said I'll double check.

Also, what type of ear cleaner are you using?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Nutrition & Health