I know this is touchy but...... (ear cropping)

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Nypitmom24 » February 28th, 2007, 8:27 am

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a vet that crops?? I know this can be a touchy subject and I'm not trying to start anything that is my personal prefrence. I would like to find someone in NY but I am willing to drive to PA. I called one vet they told me it would cost 859.00 to do my dogs ears!! :shock: Yep that's right! :|
Nypitmom24
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » February 28th, 2007, 9:07 am

In my experience, there aren't many vets that still crop. Look for ones that work with quality breeders and also vets who are older, with an established practice. I live on the CT/NY border and, within a twenty mile range, there are only 3 vets that still do crops for cosmetic purposes.

You probably will pay a premium to get a GOOD crop done because those vets know they are in demand.

If your pup is older than 14 to 16 weeks, you may have a problem finding any vet at all to crop the pup's ears.

Just make sure you do your research because I have seen MANY a crop job done horribly.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 10:44 am

Walworth Animal Hospital in Walworth, NY does them as far as I know. I have been going there for over 4 years. I have not gotten a dog cropped though. No matter who you find, make sure you see before and after pictures of other dogs they have done.

Over $800 is rediculous.

You could also call some breeders and find out where they go.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » February 28th, 2007, 10:51 am

What EVER you decide to do, get references!! Someone on another board recently got her dogs ears done, she interviewed the vet, took pics of what she wanted & ended up with this:

Last edited by cheekymunkee on February 28th, 2007, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmypitties » February 28th, 2007, 10:55 am

That poor dog. They look horrible.

Around here there arent many that do crops but the ones who do are horrible. They use metal rods to get them to stand straight. In one rescue not sure if it was a home job or not but there was fishing line or suture holding her ears to her head and the line is still in her ears today.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 28th, 2007, 10:58 am

Don't get me wrong! I have no problem with people wanting to crop their dogs ears, IMO it is a matter personal preference but things can & DO go wrong. So, email or call some APBT or AST breeders in your area & ask who they use.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmypitties » February 28th, 2007, 11:00 am

I will say some dogs look quite nice with their ears done and I like the look on some dogs. and I will agree with everyone else find some breeders who have had good jobs done and see where they have gone. Just becareful because you cant get the ears back after they are gone.
Tina
Our thoughts and prayers are with Mick and Christine! We love you both!

RIP my precious Noah! You are greatly missed and still so loved!!! 7-12-06-- 2-21-07
RIP Abby! I always loved you!
luvmypitties
I live here

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 11:31 am

Thats a VET crop???!?! are you sure?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » February 28th, 2007, 11:45 am

On February 28 2007, 9:31 AM, mnp13 wrote:Thats a VET crop???!?! are you sure?

She says a vet did it & I have no reason to not believe her. He did refund her money

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 11:47 am

On February 28 2007, 10:45, cheekymunkee wrote:

She says a vet did it & I have no reason to not believe her. He did refund her money

wow, I'm shocked
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby tradewind » February 28th, 2007, 12:30 pm

On February 28 2007, mnp13 wrote:

wow, I'm shocked

:o I have only seen a crop that bad done by someone with a pair of scissors and super glue - and they were picked up for animal cruelty - I feel for that poor pup and the owner :oops:

I had my male cropped by a "well known" vet who specializes w/boxers. His ears came out very uneven and he had to have 1 redone - I was not happy !!! and they came out shoter than I wanted - my girl I had done by Warren Animal hospital in RI ( Dr Mello) and I really like her crop.
One thing I think that is very important is that a little longer is better than a little shorter - as difficult as it is, the ears can always be shortened - if necessary - they cannot be lengthened. Tonka was my 1st experience so I learned what to discuss when I had my girl done. I provided pictures and asked for references also.
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » February 28th, 2007, 12:43 pm

I think Tonka's ears look great. Did he have "Riggs" ears before you got them done?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby randi81 » February 28th, 2007, 12:58 pm

awe debby that poor dog. :( i loooooooooooove natural ears. if saydee's ears were cropped i still would have adopted her, but i won't ever ever EVER even CONSIDER getting her ears cropped.
-Randi.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
randi81
Full of Bully

Postby a-bull » February 28th, 2007, 1:11 pm

On February 28 2007, mnp13 wrote:

wow, I'm shocked

Same here. :shock:

I guess I will just never understand why you'd want to cut off parts of your dogs ears just for appearances :| but to each their own I guess.

I hope this tradition/fashion/whatever it is goes out of vogue sometime soon. :(
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby tradewind » February 28th, 2007, 1:59 pm

On February 28 2007, mnp13 wrote:I think Tonka's ears look great. Did he have "Riggs" ears before you got them done?

Thanks Michelle,

To be honest, Tonka actually had decent rose ears as a pup :D , I had him cropped at about 16 weeks I beleive, but who knows what they would have turned out like.

I personally like the look of a crop but for people who get pups for pets, I think leaving the ears natural is the way to go. A cropped dog does seem to do better than a natural eared in the show ring, although there are several natural eared CH's out there who deserve their merit !! In alot of European countries, cropping is prohibited. If done correctly, I see nothing with cropping ears - of course personal preference is just that. IF cropping ever was restricted - breeders would have to start considering good ears as well in their planned breedings.

I do not want to see any more restrictions toward pet owners at this time, we are slowing losing our rights of personal choice to the AR extremists and it needs to stop somewhere/sometime.
tradewind
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby a-bull » February 28th, 2007, 2:06 pm

On February 28 2007, tradewind wrote:
On February 28 2007, mnp13 wrote:I think Tonka's ears look great. Did he have "Riggs" ears before you got them done?

Thanks Michelle,

To be honest, Tonka actually had decent rose ears as a pup :D , I had him cropped at about 16 weeks I beleive, but who knows what they would have turned out like.

I personally like the look of a crop but for people who get pups for pets, I think leaving the ears natural is the way to go. A cropped dog does seem to do better than a natural eared in the show ring, although there are several natural eared CH's out there who deserve their merit !! In alot of European countries, cropping is prohibited. If done correctly, I see nothing with cropping ears - of course personal preference is just that. IF cropping ever was restricted - breeders would have to start considering good ears as well in their planned breedings.

I do not want to see any more restrictions toward pet owners at this time, we are slowing losing our rights of personal choice to the AR extremists and it needs to stop somewhere/sometime.

Some good points in your post. :goodthoughts:
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby msvette2u » March 1st, 2007, 1:31 pm

I think a bad crop can occur any time, no matter what vet you use. I've seen some dobies with horrid ears despite having a "good crop".
As for that crop job (photo above) I don't understand why you'd want to discuss someone who isn't here to defend it/herself since you guys take offense when things from this board are discussed elsewhere.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 1st, 2007, 1:34 pm

On March 01 2007, 11:31 AM, msvette2u wrote:I think a bad crop can occur any time, no matter what vet you use. I've seen some dobies with horrid ears despite having a "good crop".
As for that crop job (photo above) I don't understand why you'd want to discuss someone who isn't here to defend it/herself since you guys take offense when things from this board are discussed elsewhere.

Excuse me? Who is talking about her? She gave me permission to use that photo & is fully aware of this thread. Might want to get your facts straight next time. :wink:

And the offense you are talking about was using someone's dogs illness to further an agenda. NOT taking something from this baord & discussing it, just putting your own spin on things.
Last edited by cheekymunkee on March 1st, 2007, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » March 1st, 2007, 1:36 pm

Ah well that's good then. I know there's been flak elsewhere about that crop job.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 1st, 2007, 1:42 pm

AND, she is also a member & can step in any time she wanted to if she felt she was being discussed.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/profile.php? ... file&u=587

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health