prong collar: how to?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby a-bull » February 17th, 2006, 2:09 pm

I agree . . . radicals tend to be very closed minded, and being closed minded is rarely productive in the end.

:wink:
a-bull
I live here

Postby arlosgirl » February 17th, 2006, 6:28 pm

hey michelle, i just wanted to update u on baby girl. we didnt do the obedience classes cause the guy said he would only use the chokers, and baby girl would have choked herself to death. so we're gonna wait and see if another place will open up.
maybe i can send her to u and demo? :D just kidding.
arlosgirl
Just Whelped

Postby DemoDick » February 18th, 2006, 12:34 pm

If you show up to a training class and all of the dogs are on prongs, so what? It doesn't mean that they are even being used. The trainer may simply be acclimating the dogs to them.

A smart trainer who plans to use a prong will definitely put it on weeks before it is ever used in a training context. The next dog I own will wear a prong AND an electric as soon as possible. I'm talking about from puppy age on. I want the equipment to be something the dog doesn't even think about. Will the Purely Positive people freak out when they see a 4 month old puppy with a mini prong and an electric? Most definitely. Do I care? No.

The best way in the world to make a dog collar smart is to put it on and start correcting right away.

And there is no breed of dog that "shouldn't have a prong on." Training approaches should be geared to the dog's temperament, not his breed.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby cheekymunkee » February 18th, 2006, 12:51 pm

This lady WAS using it on the puppy. She jerked that little thing off it's feet. I agree with using a prong but not on every dog in the class right off the bat. Some dogs do not need that level of correction. Munkee would fall apart with a prong, he is very soft to correction. In fact, he was trained with a choke.....not ON him, it was in my pocket! If a tug on his flat collar didn't work I would only have to jingle the choke & he would straighten up. There were times that I thought I would have to sharpen Justice's prong ( JUST KIDDING!), I would correct her & she would look at me like "that's all ya got??" :o
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » February 18th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Munkee would fall apart with a prong, he is very soft to correction. In fact, he was trained with a choke.....not ON him, it was in my pocket! If a tug on his flat collar didn't work I would only have to jingle the choke & he would straighten up. There were times that I thought I would have to sharpen Justice's prong ( JUST KIDDING!), I would correct her & she would look at me like "that's all ya got??"

I would like the opportunity to handle Munkee. Not because I don't believe you, but because I've seen repeated cases of handlers who believe they have a soft dog when in reality they are delivering corrections with emotion. Very, very few people deliver dry, black and white corrections. Even accomplished trainers.

In Justice's case, it may be the prong itself. What kind of prong were you using? Herm Sprenger prongs have rounded tips. The standard pet store variety have flat ones. The HS prong delivers a much sharper correction and are therefore much more efficient and require less physical force. I now use my pet store prong as a retrieve article. :)

I do agree with you that puppies should not be getting jerked off their feet. Most people who call themselves trainers make my head hurt.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby cheekymunkee » February 18th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I'm sure you are right on Munkee. He's very "in tune" with me & picks up on my emotions very quickly.

I used the standard, off the pet store shelf prong on her. It worked but I did have to use more correction on her than I really wanted to. She is also very spoiled & saw training as a challenge I guess. She has since come to her senses. She will push her luck more than Munkee will but she knows her place. She is still a brat though. Her first day home she was chomped on by Munkee & I have always babied hre because of it.

yes, my daughter and my four cats are also spoiled brats who walk all over me. evreything and everyone in this house is spoiled except for me. will you take them all? please???
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » February 18th, 2006, 1:28 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:This lady WAS using it on the puppy. She jerked that little thing off it's feet. I agree with using a prong but not on every dog in the class right off the bat. Some dogs do not need that level of correction. Munkee would fall apart with a prong, he is very soft to correction. In fact, he was trained with a choke.....not ON him, it was in my pocket! If a tug on his flat collar didn't work I would only have to jingle the choke & he would straighten up. There were times that I thought I would have to sharpen Justice's prong ( JUST KIDDING!), I would correct her & she would look at me like "that's all ya got??" :o

I agree with this, and the "trainer" that put one on my dog slapped it right on her without asking me, my dog ran and hid under a chair, she dragged her out to the center of the room, she cowered, and she yanked her in the air---all with a prong collar on. True story. I retrieved my dog, took the collar off, finished the class and never went back. Approximately five other people left the class after me. To add insult to injury, my kids and husband were all with me trying to learn.
a-bull
I live here

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior