%#@#%# Kennel cough

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » February 13th, 2006, 7:01 pm

addie was vaccinated against kennel cough when i got her.. of course she got kennel cough a day after i had her.. rufus had it next.. he is just getting over it (slight case) and now Jesse has it.. crap.i really hope sonny doesnt get it.... UGGGGGGGGGGGG my whole house is contagious :cry:
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » February 13th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I hate kennel cough. When I rescued Violet, 6 months ago, she had, then gave it to Lucky. Luckily our doxie never got it, but it is a pain. And they sound awful. I'm sorry you have to go through it. :(
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby msvette2u » February 13th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Lambie had it when we got her. She started with a really runny and gunky nose, and sneezing...she gave it to our doxie, Copper, who is the only one who contracted it, interestingly enough!
They both finally got over it but it took about a month and a half...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pibblegrl » February 13th, 2006, 7:20 pm

:cry: Aww...hope everyone feels better soon!
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby CinderDee » February 13th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Sorry, ME. :( That happened to me when I had one of my dogs neutered years ago. It ran right through the house.

Sending good thoughts. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » February 13th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Ruby had it in October. it was soooo much fun.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » February 13th, 2006, 10:55 pm

CinderDee wrote:Sorry, ME. :( That happened to me when I had one of my dogs neutered years ago. It ran right through the house.

They get it from the vet!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Murfins » February 13th, 2006, 11:31 pm

Ack, sorry to hear this ME, I hope they all feel better soon and that Sonny doesn't get it.
Murfins
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby CinderDee » February 14th, 2006, 1:39 am

msvette2u wrote:
CinderDee wrote:Sorry, ME. :( That happened to me when I had one of my dogs neutered years ago. It ran right through the house.

They get it from the vet!

Too true! :x My vet did not want to hear it and made me pay for the meds to treat my other dogs.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby msvette2u » February 14th, 2006, 2:27 am

CinderDee wrote:Too true! :x My vet did not want to hear it and made me pay for the meds to treat my other dogs.

:shock: My parents adopted an OLD Mini Schnauzer a few years ago and when he needed something done with his ears once, he came home with KC. I was torqued, because it was so hard on him to have it, not like a younger pup or younger adult dog having it!
I understand that it's a "kennel situation" but STILL it's kind of ironic you bring your dog to the vet to "get healthy" and they come home sicker!
BTW, you probably all know it but you can use children's Robitussin for the symptoms!
I also purchased some "fish flex" which is cephalexin for aquariums but the same dosage you can get at the vet or doctor. You just give it 2x a day for 10 days!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 14th, 2006, 9:07 am

she is on pediatric robitussen cough(fruit flavored so she loves it) and she has been on clavamox since i brought her home from the shelter. i just hate seeing the dogs getting it and passing it around..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 14th, 2006, 10:37 am

Ollie had it a few years ago, she got it through the fence from the stray my neighbor picked up. The other dogs didn't get it.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby luvmyangels » February 14th, 2006, 11:03 am

That really stinks. I hope everyone will get well soon.
I am "The Rat Queen".

Have a great day!! :)

Mary Ann & The Furry Bunch:
Cookie & Knuckles
Rabbit: Butterscotch
The Rattie Bunch: Girls: Noodle & Raisin Boys: Gus, Melvin, Oliver, & Toby
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 14th, 2006, 11:16 am

When we fostered for the big shelter in Pasco, all the fosters had it. Only once did one of ours contract it. I think stress and immune system health play a large part. Lambie's started with a runny nose and sneeze which turned green and gunky, and she'd cough on and off throughout the night. Copper got the sneeze but never got green or gunky. He then coughed but not to the extent she did. None of the other dogs got it.
Last edited by msvette2u on February 15th, 2006, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby babyreba » February 15th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Mr. Pup/Snuffy came down with KC, too, after I had him for about a week. He handled it pretty well, and it came and went pretty quickly, thank goodness. And I was very lucky that Reba didn't catch it--she's never had it, I can't imagine that it'd be a very enjoyable experience for her at this age!

Good luck getting your house healthy!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 15th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Go see a homeopath!!

My advisor at school is a strict homeopthic vet (most are both homeo and allopathic, like the one I work for). She once told us in class that she can get rid of kennel cough in 5 days flat with a remedy. I have no clue what that remedy is, but I'd say it's worth checking out.

Wally does not get the kennel cough vaccine. It doesn't protect against many strains, and if it is a live vaccine (which half of the ccough ones are) it can actually give the dog kennel cough.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby turtle » February 16th, 2006, 12:40 am

A friend of mine was able to shorten the length of time his dogs had kennel cough by crushing up several cloves of garlic and giving it to the dogs once a day for about a week. Garlic is a natural antibiotic so I an see where this would work.

My dog got kennel cough when I adopted her and brought her home. She shook it off in about a week and never had it too badly. A healthy dog with a strong immune system usually does not get very sick. It's an airborne virus and spreads pretty quick in a kennel situation, not much you can do to prevent it.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » February 17th, 2006, 9:43 pm

You can get it from the Vet, but you can also get from any other place that any other dog has been, the dog park etc etc etc. This is happening with vaccinated dogs?
I think msvette is right, stress and immune system play a large part in it. I work at an animal Emergency Hospital and Day surgery where, on a busy day, we probably see 50-75 dogs through our doors, I bring Oscar in with me at least twice a week, and he's never gotten it, either before or during the time I've worked at the Hospital. :|

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health